Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22lr

Options
  • 14-01-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of a restore project. As in get a old .22lr with everything working but maybe a bad stock rust bad blueing whatever as long as the rifling is pretty ok and do it up as in reblue the whole thing polish buff the bolt and get it working buy a nice stock pillar and glass bed the rifle and shoot it.

Dont think ill have a problem doing this as ive done alot of work to my past rifle and my shotgun with good results.

Question is what rifle i was thinking of a CZ as i've seen quite a few old ones around the place or even better a brno what sorta prices can you recommend.

BTW this is going to be a backyard plinker if i can make it accurate its a bonus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Depends on how bad the rifle condition.If it is an old beater with a clean non pitted barrel[most important in a rifle]Say 60/120 euros.

Dont limit yourself to just a Brno or CZ,you might find somthing else as well.

As you describe this,your most important point here is a good ,not shot out barrel,otherwise you will be looking at throwing good money after bad,where nothing will make it accurate.If you know how to do it and the dealer/smith allows you,slug the barrel,to see what condition the grooves and lands are in.
    Failing that ask if you can get the barrel cleaned in the shop[which should have been done anyway when it was taken in]
    The project is good,but take your time finding the right gun.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

What about a SAKO finnfire?
    Lots of peeps who had one seem to always regret selling
    theirs and since they are discontinued it might be good
    project considering as time goes on they might be getting
    harder and harder to get your hands on.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I'm looking more for something about 15-20years old and im looking at brno's or cz's because i've had/have one so i know the ins and outs and parts are available and i can get a stock cheap for it. I dont want something thats been mistreated just something old that noone wants that i can refinish restock and give it a major cleaning out and polish it all up and then work on getting the best out of the gun.

Sako quad isnt an option they're too expensive and i picked one up in the shop and didnt like the feel of it. I have an excellent .17hmr rifle and the .22lr has the potential to be good but if it doesnt its not biggie and wont cost me much at all.

Another reason for the cz's and brno's is that they're made completely of steel proven to last years and an excellent action and barrel. I've no intentions of getting anything rebarreled or anything of the sort.

psitta,
    I guy I know in the states bought two old .22lr rimfires for $50. They were ancient guns, but he redid them up perfectly and know they are two beautiful rifles.
    I always regret not being good enough with my hands to do something like that.

CG

Slug the barrel?? Never heard of it but i imagine something like pushing a bullet through the barrel with a rod or something and see the marks on the bullets?? any pics of what it should look like?

Is there any other way of checking the rifling apart from looking at it?

I'm kinda partial to brno's/cz's so im def going with one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

You are dead on!You take a ball of very soft lead appropriate to the calibre,and it is driven down the barrel with a steel rod to the muzzle.You can then see the way the lands and grooves are gripping the bullet as it travels.it is usually done on bigger calibres,or surplus rifles that people are converting to sporters or whatever. Very tricky to do properly with a 22,and proably not worth it as they are considerd so cheap and plentiful around the world.

Hmm,only other way I can see of doing this is a borescope.Basiclly,a long glass tube type thingy with an eyepiece and light on one end,somthing like what a doctor uses to look in your lugs in his surgery.Modern version would be a micro cam on a fibre optic cable that you can fit down the bore to have a good look on on a monitor.Dunno of anyone here who has either.Best bet then is;if it has ANY type of rust in it,leave alone.Run a clean dry patch down the barrel in the shop and see if any rust particles come out.
    Best advice on this I can think of,anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭vlmaxis

I'm looking more for something about 15-20years old and im looking at brno's or cz's because i've had/have one so i know the ins and outs and parts are available and i can get a stock cheap for it. I dont want something thats been mistreated just something old that noone wants that i can refinish restock and give it a major cleaning out and polish it all up and then work on getting the best out of the gun.
    ]

Go to one of the older dealers, like Pat O'Brien or Pat Cooke etc,these guys have lots of nice old guns for sale and they wont steer you wrong, you might get old remingtons or mausers etc, these would be fun to restore and the barrels would never wear out. I recently bought an old Winchester leaver action .22, lovely gun

Have found what im looking for thanks im sticking with CZ as i know they're very accurate and reliable and the particular model i've found was made using high quaility parts it was made in a period where production was at its best. Plus i know my way around a CZ so can modify the trigger easily and do work on it.

Advertisement