Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV DNS Down??

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

any of yous experiencing trouble with utv dns at the moment??

i luckly had a dns servers ip down and connected through that..but it wasnt letting me connect before..and msn said the dns cant resolve ip addresses so tought it must of been the dns..any one else have this problem?

and just wondering is it alright to connect to a different dns or is it unsafe or utv will charge you for doing so or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Yeah from what I hear it's scuttered...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

thanks for that..now i know it not just me :D

it has been doing this alot in the last while..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

is UTV down for anyone tonight?

my bro out in blackrock can't get on, and i'm hoping it's not the new router i installed yesterday and that their network is temporarily buggered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

the corpo wrote:
    is UTV down for anyone tonight?

my bro out in blackrock can't get on, and i'm hoping it's not the new router i installed yesterday and that their network is temporarily buggered
    You read the thread right?? It's banjaxed, as often happens with UTV - dns servers are broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i'm not that tech minded, i didn't know that dns problems were the same as a server going down

sorry for my ignorance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

been fine here for the last few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Got a call from home to say no access in Meath....has been a little shaky lately alright. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

down in mayo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

Had the same problem with UTV DNS going down, and was recommended to try the DNS servers on opendns.com instead, works a dream.

The servers are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220,

Ruairi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Didnt even notice. After last time i added secondary ones to Linksys and other secondary yo my pc :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

Same problem, but using OpenDNS.

A bit off topic but,

On the OpenDNS website, it states its free. I won't get billed or anything due to some hidden contract? Also Can I trust OpenDNS, do my shopping securely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Aye open DNS is free and perfectly safe

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

Same problem, but using OpenDNS.

A bit off topic but,

On the OpenDNS website, it states its free. I won't get billed or anything due to some hidden contract? Also Can I trust OpenDNS, do my shopping securely?

DNS servers are used to translate domain names such as utvinternet.ie into IP addresses, such as 194.46.8.120. SSL connections to websites you view etc do not go through the DNS servers, so opendns.com has no visibility in terms of your actual connections to the websites you visit.

So yes, you are safe.

Also, it is a completely free service and as they don't even request your details, they don't and can't bill you for the use of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

mines down nearly all day (in carlow) going to try that open dns thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

back again and on broadband.. thanks for the info

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont forget the utv support group on news.utvinternet.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Mine has been down all day and night. ROuter thinks there is a connection (the green light is on) but there is nothing. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Sounds like your DNS is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

dn't know if it is up today but it was down last night.

I could connect to and browse the Fingal Co Co. library online catalogue which is accessed by a bookmarked IP address but anything with a FQDN didn't work.

So, I'd say their DNS fell over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

I'm out in Blackrock and had the same problem, nice to know it wasnt just me

• Advertisement
Advertisement