Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to Do when you F**k up a dual boot system???

• 14-01-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I installed Vista RC1 on an old 40gig Physical Drive, Knowing that Vista would recognise it as the C: drive when I booted into Vista, and XP would recognise the ACTUAL C: Drive as C: when I booted into XP. Its an Old Drive and was not being used,

Now (Due to a catastrophic drive failure on another PC) I've decided to remove the Drive and removed Vista and wrote Zero's to it, however. I'm still getting the "Select Operating system" screen on Startup. I checked Bootini. and it says the following...

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Great, only problem is this has been written to Zero, Formatted and is currently sitting on my childrens PC with Win XP on it....

Any Suggestions? How do I remove the Screen/set the bootini back to a normal single boot system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Download a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

Boot from that, run 'fdisk /mbr' and reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

There's No Floppy Drive on the System, I do have a number of Bootable CD's (98-2000-Me-XP) but none of them will boot to a Command Prompt, is it a problem with the System being NTFS?? Also, Since trying this, the system won't boot into XP now?

The O/S on the Main Hard Drive is Win XP Pro SP2. Installed on an NTFS File.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Your XP install disk has the option to repair an install and you get the command prompt from there.

run the command for fixing the mbr from there. Think it's fixmbr

Thanks, I looked at the repair option, but was afraid this would set it back to SP1, leaving me with hours of Windows updates to download.

Will try it when I get home (Obviously Not on THAT Pc now)

Rgds

McA!

Ok Well Fixmbr didn't work, and Repair didn't work, was eventually able to get into safe mode and back up the User folder to an External HDD. Then Did a Reinstallation on a re-formatted drive. Something in the Startup/ini files was corrupt and this was the best option. First time I had to reinstall XP in 3 years. So queue 3 hours of windows updates and re-starts....

• Advertisement
Advertisement