Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life-Deal or no Deal?

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi new to the boards..hope this is the right forum...

Just watching deal or no deal the other day and the presenter(noel edmonds) kept saying you have to believe you have big money in your box and be positive and the contestant was agreeing and saying "i do believe i have baig money in the box".POSITIVE THINKING.Fantastic.Because im a big believer in postive thinking but this got me thinking and my point is it didnt matter how much she taught or believed she had big money because it was already decided.For example this girl picked box 14 and no matter how much she believed the figure was already decided.But my point is that i do or shall i say did believe in positive thimking and that you life and its outcome is in your hands with what you want to do which is true in many ways, but ultimately is your life already mapped out for you...just as your born is there an angel type noel edmonds figure handing out sealed boxes? and no matter how much you really belive you have 250.000 euro you could possibly only have the 1p? Basically all im wondering is do people think life is what you make of it by working hard and thinking positively or is is already decided for you? Like i have looked at books of a lot of succesful people(mainly sports) who got knocked backed but kept on believing and working hard and eventually succeding but ive also read of people who just seemed destined for success regardless...In some strange way i kinda think its both and was just wondering what other people think?

Sorry for rambling on and sorry if i confused you but id love to get some feed back to see what people think???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

a lot of philosophers have theories on this, it's known as determinism. a determinist is someone who believes your life is already mapped out for you. there's lots of complicated theories on it, the one i enjoy best is the question of whether or not we ever have free will, can we make a choice entirely of our own will or has the build up to that choice somehow influenced our decision so that we in fact ahve no choice? sorry if thats a bit ramblish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Hi new to the boards..hope this is the right forum...

Just watching deal or no deal the other day and the presenter(noel edmonds) kept saying you have to believe you have big money in your box and be positive and the contestant was agreeing and saying "i do believe i have baig money in the box".POSITIVE THINKING.Fantastic.Because im a big believer in postive thinking but this got me thinking and my point is it didnt matter how much she taught or believed she had big money because it was already decided.For example this girl picked box 14 and no matter how much she believed the figure was already decided.But my point is that i do or shall i say did believe in positive thimking and that you life and its outcome is in your hands with what you want to do which is true in many ways, but ultimately is your life already mapped out for you...just as your born is there an angel type noel edmonds figure handing out sealed boxes? and no matter how much you really belive you have 250.000 euro you could possibly only have the 1p? Basically all im wondering is do people think life is what you make of it by working hard and thinking positively or is is already decided for you? Like i have looked at books of a lot of succesful people(mainly sports) who got knocked backed but kept on believing and working hard and eventually succeding but ive also read of people who just seemed destined for success regardless...In some strange way i kinda think its both and was just wondering what other people think?

Sorry for rambling on and sorry if i confused you but id love to get some feed back to see what people think???

Even if the road is mapped whether you think positively or negatively would surely affect how you proceed along that road. The Noel Edmonds analogy is a good one but the decision of the person in the middle will be affected by how positively they believe they have £250,000. If your belief is strong you'll go to the end of teh show, however, if your don't believe you'll cut and run and the first decent offer from the banker. Two completely different outcomes from the picked box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement