Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who sings 'You Don't Miss the Water'?

Options
  • 14-01-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Is it Harry Belafonte that sings the original 'You Don't Miss the Water (Till the Well Runs Dry)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

The Stunning...can't remember the song name.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The lads are probably right if you're quoting the lyrics correctly.

If there's a tiny possibility what you meant to write was "you don't miss your water till your wells are undried" then you may be thinking of an Otis Redding song ("You Don't Miss Your Water" from "Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul", worth picking up if only for his cover of "Satisfaction" and the original version of "Respect"). Of course, had Redding's plane actually missed the water, he might still be alive. If this is the case, the original version is by William Bell, who also wrote the song.

Then again, Craig David has a song called "you don't miss your water till the well runs dry" on his second less-slick than his first album ("Slicker Than Your Average", it's not) which contains your provided lyrics as well. I'm assuming this isn't what your after as he wrote it so the song's only four or five years old.

Last possibility - the Byrds did a cover version of the William Bell song on their "Sweetheart of the rodeo" album. I haven't listened to the album in about a year (it's their country album which means I'm far more likely to listen to bad Japanese pop than it), if I remember rightly they changed the lyric to "you don't miss your water till your well runs dry". If this is what you're after, the answer's still William Bell, though if the Byrds version is the one you've been listening to, you probably want the Redding version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I was only listening to this song yesterday. Taj Mahal sings it on his album "The Natch'l Blues" from around '68 or '69 (a lovely version IMO).

Advertisement