Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software to count wireless connections..

• 14-01-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question..

Is there any software which can keep a count of the number of wireless connections to your router?

Have moved into a new flat in a apartment block and as far as i can tell, i'm the only wireless access point in the block. So hence my paranoia is coming flooding through.. have put a strong WEP key on it but would also like just as a matter of interest if there is anyone connected (or trying to connect).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

What router is it? You can usually just log into the router and it will give you a list of all ip's connected to it. I know mine does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

There might be software for that, but Im not sure, as it sounds like something you would really need to run from the router too tell.

But heres a few tips too help ensure security.

First change to WPA, psk tkip is easy to setup. Any script kiddy running linux and the right wifi card is 10 minutes away from cracking most WEP keys.

turn off DHCP on your router. use static internal IP's

enable mac filtering for your wifi card mac addresses.

disable BSSID broadcast

if theres a firewall on your router, block all incomming and outgoing connections from all internal IP's (192.168.1.*) except of course for your PC and router IP's

Easy quick steps that really help your security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

no need to turn of DHCP, a lot of extra hassle for you

anyone who can get around mac filtering AND can crack our WEP key is bound to have their own internet connection anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Have got a 9 digit WPA key (which i think i'll increase) and enabled MAC filtering for just my laptop.

Think that'll do for now but would like a little utility for this if there is one available.

PS - am using a Netopia Cayman 3347W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Is there any option in the router settings called connected devices no? mine does and i can see the computer name and mac of every device connected. i have a netgear mind but that should be a pretty common feature.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

dont bother your just paranoid!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Counting the number of devices would require the software to be able to login into the router, request for the status page from the router (which may not be accurate since firmware for routers can be outdated), and filter the information returned.

WPA-PSK will definitely be a requirement - use a phrase with at least 20 characters.

Leave DHCP on, but restrict the the range of IP addresses to match the number of wireless connections you expect. Eg., 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3 for 2 devices/connections - the first one being for the router.

Have you also thought about attacks from the internet connection itself? Check out "Shields Up!" from www.grc.com . I understand the ports on the Netopia routers are not very stealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the-yikes

Quick question, is anyone apart from DaSilva actually thinking here? Let me put it another way to you, i'm what you call a white hat hacker. Basically i never hack for profit and i never hack to cause damage. Recently as part of a project organized by locals in a small town (i'm not naming names) requested me to test out the average home users systems, so WITH their permission i set about doing so, armed with nothing more then a telsatr dish a small double biquad and a laptop using a certain un-named distro of linux is set about scanning for wireless networks within a 7000 Metre radius. I found tonnes, any way after viewing who was active and picking a few i accessed over 13 systems in under 1 hour.

My point is even though some had strong WEP encryption in place and some had mac filtering it didnt stop me, as DaSilva said

1: disable DHCP
    2: enable MAC Filetering
    3: Kill WEP and swap to WPA if ur router doesnt support it get a new 1
    4: Assign static ip addressing
    5: NEVER brag to anyone that your un-hackable, that's like betting a compulsive gambler he wouldnt kill himself for a thousand Euros. He would just to win the blooming bet! as a hacker (i use the word loosely) would for no other reason then to laugh at you!

Advertisement