Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominations for Mod(s)

Options
  • 14-01-2007 8:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can we have self-nominations or nominations of others (which have to be accepted by the person) for the moderatorship of this forum?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you're stuck, I don't mind keeping an eye on things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Either myself or Rooster would be the best choices because we are the ones who post on this forum the most and we both have considerable knowledge of the sport.

No offence smashey but I dont think you have ever even posted in Darts and the reason I raised this issue is because I thought it best that their should be a mod that has an interest in darts and is a regular poster on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Without a doubt, Kingp35 or Rooster (assuming he's interested) or both.

I'm not sure two are needed, but I suppose it won't do any harm either. An admin decision, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Let Kingp35 and Rooster do it together. They can promote the game between them.

Actually, Kingp35 would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

fade2black wrote:
    Let Kingp35 and Rooster do it together. They can promote the game between them.

Thats ok by me as long as Rooster wants the job.

Rooster?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Thats ok by me as long as Rooster wants the job.

Rooster?

He's too busy giving a running commentary on the BDO final.

Another guy I have in mind is carrickman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Kingp35 admits that he's a regular here and he thought posts he didn't bother to report were problematic. If someone isn't bothered to help the moderation process as a user what good will they be as a moderator?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I vote for Kingp35 as the only man for the job.

The power might go to my head, so I'd prefer to leave it to someone else! But I will give assistance if required.

Talliesin wrote:
    Kingp35 admits that he's a regular here and he thought posts he didn't bother to report were problematic. If someone isn't bothered to help the moderation process as a user what good will they be as a moderator?

Cheers for the vote of confidence. I understand your point but I did raise this issue in feedback about the problems so its not like I did nothing.

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Isnt bothered? Why the tone? No need for the high and mighty attitude.

Darts often gets criticised by those who are ignorant of the facts.

The regulars re-butted the ridiluous comments by giving facts and staying calm and not resorting to a flame-war or abuse. The trolls, if thats what they are, went away.

I wouldnt have thought to report a post as no mods ever appear on this forum.

If Kingp35 doesnt meet whatever standards are required, then nobody does.

Isnt bothered? Why the tone?
    What tone? This is a thread for nominations for Mods. I'm pointing out a reason for believing someone would be a poor moderator. That person or others who support their nomination can counter my argument if they think different. That isn't a matter of tone, that's a matter of someone who isn't bothering to deal with a problem they see in a forum jumping straight into saying that not only should there be someone doing more for the forum than present, but that they should be that person.

That smacks of the same sort of phenomena which is why we have a guideline of those suggesting a new forum shouldn't be the moderator.
    The regulars re-butted the ridiluous comments by giving facts and staying calm and not resorting to a flame-war or abuse. The trolls, if thats what they are, went away.
    Maybe the current level of moderation is adequate then. If calm counter-argument was all it takes then that's better than there having been any moderator action.
    I wouldnt have thought to report a post as no mods ever appear on this forum.
    Why would a mod appear on the forum if there'd been no reported posts. That's like saying "I didn't think to call the Gardai when I was burgled as no Gardai ever appear in my house".

Talliesin wrote:
    That person or others who support their nomination can counter my argument if they think different. That isn't a matter of tone, that's a matter of someone who isn't bothering to deal with a problem they see in a forum jumping straight into saying that not only should there be someone doing more for the forum than present, but that they should be that person.

This is quite funny. You say im not bothering to deal with the problem yet I raised the issue in feedback that there was a problem that needed sorting. It was others that suggested I put my name forward. Most people would consider the fact that I raised the problem as doing something about it.

But if you think im not fit for the job then by all means give it to someone else. All I want is a regular poster in the darts forum to be the mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Talliesin, you can see that Kingp35 was concerned about the Darts forum. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here to be honest.

I don't know. Apparantly somewhere in this forum there's posts I should look at, but nobody feels inclined to report them. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

kingp35 without a doubht.

Or maybe he doesnt fit into the boards clique.

There are far too many mods to fit into a single clique. I'm just concerned about the facts I've stated.

This is a Sports forum. Amz is one of the most on the ball category moderators around. If the issues mentioned in Feedback (though there still isn't a single post reported, and from what Rooster has said there possibly wasn't actually a post worth reporting) had been reported they would have been dealt with. Instead we've got someone who didn't bother to report what they later described as a problem being suggested for moderator for the very same forum.

I don't understand.

Talliesin wrote:
    (though there still isn't a single post reported, and from what Rooster has said there possibly wasn't actually a post worth reporting)

Why would I report the post now after I have raised the issue and now the thread in question has been locked. Have a read through it and will see that there certainly was a posts that deserved reporting.

What happened was some people were claiming that darts was a "knacker sport" and only fat poeple play it. Myself and others dealt with it by pointing out how they were wrong and that was that. Sadly the same people came back and posted the same rubbish again and when I saw this I immediately raised the issue in feedback.

Maybe now you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Kingp35 wrote:

Maybe now you understand.

I wouldnt bet on it.

For the love of jaysus.

Kingp35 should be moderator of this forum.

I am sure he has close to, if not the full 100% support of the regular posters for this task. If thats not enough, then I dont know what is.

There may be a guideline advising against it because he was the one who got this particular board up and running. But presumably this is a guideline and not a rule, because its known there will be the odd exception. This is one of those exceptions.

This is a small community, who get on very well together. A lot of interesting debate has been generated and rarely if ever has it descended into arguments. However, we need a darts mod to keep it that way.

We unanimously want Kingp35 to be that mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not a regular poster in Darts but view it alot and Kingp35 would be perfect for mod, dont know why some individuals are being so anal about it all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Kingp35 or Rooster!
    Both regular posters any very knowledgeable of the game of darts.

There have been some nonsense threads here recently (which I did indeed take part in) and they need to be monitored more.
    Good luck to you both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Why are we even discusing this? Kingp35 is the best man for the job by a long way...

Kingp35 wrote:
    Why would I report the post now after I have raised the issue and now the thread in question has been locked.
    I'm more wondering why you raised the issue of the moderator not responding to the report when there had been no such report. Until you said above that the thread has been locked (so a mod or admin did do something) I still wasn't clear as to whether there was something I should be looking at since while this is a forum without a local mod I will step in if the users here want moderation help.

The same thing is going to apply to you as moderator if you have a busy period when you can't come on boards except when you receive a reported post mail.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I immediately raised the issue in feedback.
    Why did you do this? You hadn't given the moderator system a chance to help you, but you jumped straight into complaining about that rather than complaining to the moderator about the thread.
    There may be a guideline advising against it because he was the one who got this particular board up and running. But presumably this is a guideline and not a rule, because its known there will be the odd exception. This is one of those exceptions.
    Agreed. And there is a lot here that says that Kingp35 should be the moderator here. I'm just concerned about someone who apparantly isn't happy dealing with the cat-mod being moderator.
    This is a small community, who get on very well together. A lot of interesting debate has been generated and rarely if ever has it descended into arguments.
    I agree that ideally someone from the clique here who has a good feel of what the consensus opinion of what's acceptable and unacceptable is would be the best choice. I agree that Kingp35 appears to be someone that fits the bill.

I'm just worried that someone who jumps straight into criticising the cat mods moderation without actually giving her a chance to do anything is going to be working with her. Believe me, one of the reasons you have a forum where you can have these discussions is that people who decide to act the bollix across the whole Sports category (and there are many) have been dealt with before you even saw them here.

I don't think criticising one of the most active moderators on this site for failing to respond to something that wasn't reported shows good faith.

Even if you just didn't know how to report a post I'd be happy (as long as you've to cop-on to work on how after learning there was such a feature, of course) but otherwise I'm concerned that you might be one of the people who get paranoid about mods. I don't want one of the people who think that's what modding is about being a mod.

Talliesin wrote:
    I'm just worried that someone who jumps straight into criticising the cat mods moderation without actually giving her a chance to do anything is going to be working with her.

I think you misunderstood what I was getting at. Yes, there have been bad posts of late from people on this board. I sure if these were reported that Amz would deal with them. That was only part of the reason I raised in feedback. The other reason was because I think there should be a mod who is a regular contributer to the forum and has a good knowledge of the board. My reasons for this is because said mod can set up relevant darting resources and can help any new people that come across the board. Im sure you will agree that a mod who has a good knowledge of the forum they are moderating is a distinct advantage. Im sure you yourself have a quite a good knowledge on Religion and Spirituality or a good interest in it at least, in order for you to be the best mod you can be on that forum.

If I came across as being too critical an Amz Im sorry, that wasnt my intention at all. I raised the issue because we have no actice mods on Darts and never have. The board has become quite popular in the last few weeks and an actie mod would be an advantage.

If people have a problem me then maybe Carrickman would do a better job.

I think regardless of whether the current system would have worked had someone reported the post (and I'm sure it would), we do need a darts mod to work alongside the cat-mod.

From my reading of Talliesin's posts, I believe that if Kingp35 gives a committment to work in harmony with amz, then the job will be his.

And everyone will be happy again :)

From my reading of Talliesin's posts, I believe that if Kingp35 gives a committment to work in harmony with amz, then the job will be his.

And everyone will be happy again :)

Im quite happy to have Amz as my boss. :cool:

Kingp35 wrote:
    Im sure you yourself have a quite a good knowledge on Religion and Spirituality or a good interest in it at least, in order for you to be the best mod you can be on that forum.
    The main advantage is that it makes you inclined to keep looking at the forum, though within the Religion and Spirituality category, there is the interesting case of the Islam forum, whose excellent mod is, by his own admission, relatively ignorant of the topic compared to many posters (though indeed, he has an interest). I'd say that in general interest in the topic has very little to do with moderating well, but a lot to do with being motivated in the right way (as long as you can keep a rein on biases that anyone with an interest in a topic will inevitably have).

In general though, I agree with your point.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    If I came across as being too critical an Amz Im sorry, that wasnt my intention at all. I raised the issue because we have no actice mods on Darts and never have. The board has become quite popular in the last few weeks and an actie mod would be an advantage.
    That statement has quite adequately cleared up all my concerns.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    I think the only person with a problem was myself, and I'm now satisfied in so far as I had a concern. I withdraw all of my questioning and wholeheartedly support your nomination.

Hope to see you in the Moderators forum soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

kingp35 no question really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Kingp35 wrote:
    You are the best person for the job, I would not have the time to do it as I have a lot on my plate with my own site and work commitments (cheers anyway!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement