Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominations for Mod(s)

Options

Comments

Kingp35 all the way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Talliesin wrote:
    That statement has quite adequately cleared up all my concerns.
    Actually scratch that.

This is a ****ing piss-take. You don't need more moderation, you just need to read the bloody charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Talliesin wrote:
    Actually scratch that.

This is a ****ing piss-take. You don't need more moderation, you just need to read the bloody charter.
    Well you're the only one who says its a piss-take. Does that mean you withdraw your support?

11 people (excl Kingp35) who read and post on the Darts Forum have posted on this thread.

All 11 see the need for a darts mod and all 11 have requested that Kingp35 be appointed.

Surely that is compelling?

Yes, I'm withdrawing my support.

As far as I can see here there is plenty of evidence that Kingp35 is an excellent poster in this forum, but there's a hell of a lot to evidence to suggest he'd be a dreadful moderator.

Surely his recent behaviour is more compelling than how popular he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Nearest the bull gets it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Talliesin wrote:

As far as I can see here there is plenty of evidence that Kingp35 is an excellent poster in this forum, but there's a hell of a lot to evidence to suggest he'd be a dreadful moderator.

Post reported - obvious trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You cant beat a bit of Bully.

Talliesin wrote:

I can see your point to an extent, but I think you're being way too harsh, and to say "there's a hell of a lot of evidence" is a hell of an exaggeration.

The bad thread reminded Kingp35 that the site needed a darts mod in addition to the cat mod. So he went straight to feedback to make his point known. Perhaps the first thing he should have done was report it, but either way within 23 minutes of his post on feedback the thread was locked.

The big picture here is we are a small but growing community. It would benefit us to have a darts mod. We want Kingp35.

I can see your point to an extent, but I think you're being way too harsh, and to say "there's a hell of a lot of evidence" is a hell of an exaggeration.

No, I don't think I'm being too harsh at all. Harsh maybe, I'm not a particularly nice person, but not too harsh.

There's a difference between an expert poster a helpful poster and a moderator.

And expert poster posts good posts. The most obvious cases are times when the poster has great knowledge about and passion for the topic. Other times are someone who doesn't know squat, knows they don't know squat, but in trying to find out more asks intelligent questions that lead to good conversations. Expert posters are the bread and butter of a site like this and a damn sight more important than moderators.

A moderator is mostly a janitor who cleans up the crap, responds to issues whether by trying to defuse them, warning about them, or banning, deleting or editting as is appropriate. A moderator stickies threads likely to be particularly interesting to users on an ongoing basis (threads likely to be particularly interesting right now will stay on the top of the page by themselves, and these will push those with ongoing value [in a sports forum this might be a published listing of fixtures, for example] down). A moderator acts as a gateway to posts that are potentially useful to the community, but are close enough to advertising that there would quickly be a Spam free-for-all if there was no such gateway.

A helpful user reports issues. Doesn't report posts that aren't issues. Reports issues well - choosing between PM and Report Post appropriately and giving concise, but informative, notices in the report with reference to the charter when appropriate. A helpful user responds to questions from other posters they can answer, but doesn't take it the wrong way if a more knowledgeable poster corrects them. A helpful poster escalates issues appropriately to ensure that the people who should be dealing with them can do so. A helpful poster posts the sort of posts that make good stickies. A helpful poster will find announcements that may interest all but which are essentially adverts and so either posts them in threads set aside for that (the "Pimp my show" thread in Radio is an example) or passes them on through a mod. Moderating a forum with a large number of helpful posters is extremely easy. Once that's happening the expert posters have the leg-space to do what they do well. Expert posters will generally be more popular than helpful posters. Helpful posters generally have an interest that will make them expert posters eventually and a sincerity that will stop them acting like they're experts before they generally are, so they don't care much that they aren't the forum's stars.

Some good posters can be all three, some are only one or two, some are none of these, but still good posters.

Helpful users are good mod material, even when they don't know much. Expert posters aren't, unless they're also helpful posters. Expert users that aren't also helpful are worse than useless, because their passion makes them more likely to be biased in a way that makes for enjoyable posts but poor moderating. One of the qualities of a useful poster is that if they are also an expert poster they keep their biases for where they are appropriate.

From what I can see Kingp35 is an expert poster, but very much not a helpful poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'd also like to nominate Kingp35 for moderator. I'm sure he will pick up all the necessary skills in no time and be an excellent moderator of this forum.

Talliesin - I think you are being incredibly anal about Kingp35 not reporting the post. Grow up and quit the nit-picking.

• Advertisement

Talliesin - I think you are being incredibly anal about Kingp35 not reporting the post. Grow up and quit the nit-picking.
    The title of the thread is "Nomination for Mod(s)". I'm posting about why I think someone should be a bad mod.

It doesn't matter whether I'm anal or not, it matters whether I'm right or not.

If you think that I'm wrong, please demonstrate your thinking.

If you think caring about whether someone is a good moderator or not is anal, please don't nominate anyone.

Talliesin wrote:
    The title of the thread is "Nomination for Mod(s)". I'm posting about why I think someone should be a bad mod.

Well why don't you tell us who you think would be a good mod or are you just waiting for someone to nominate you? :rolleyes:
    Talliesin wrote:
    It doesn't matter whether I'm anal or not, it matters whether I'm right or not.

If you think that I'm wrong, please demonstrate your thinking.

You may be right in that the post should have been reported but that is not proof that Kingp35 wouldn't be the best moderator for this forums considering his knowledge and passion for the sport. Maybe he made a mistake, I'm sure you have made mistakes too but you learned from them right?
    Talliesin wrote:
    If you think caring about whether someone is a good moderator or not is anal, please don't nominate anyone.

I am as entitled as you are to make a nomination, perhaps even more so since I actually read this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Who actually suggested the forum by the way?

Gordon wrote:

Kingp35 according to post No. 21 in this thread.

You may be right in that the post should have been reported but that is not proof that Kingp35 wouldn't be the best moderator for this forums considering his knowledge and passion for the sport.
    That means very little as to moderating. A lot about being an expert poster. And that's good. Expert posters are more important than moderators. We only one mod per couple of forums, but it's expert posters that make forums. However that doesn't mean the two qualities equate.
    Maybe he made a mistake, I'm sure you have made mistakes too but you learned from them right?
    Only when I've acknowledged them.
    I am as entitled as you are to make a nomination, perhaps even more so since I actually read this forum.
    Yes, but if you don't think it's important you shouldn't bother.

Gordon wrote:

I did, and I think Kingp35 is the best choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Jesus ... where do I start.

First of all Talliesin, relax. You make modding a forum sound brokering a peace deal in Northern Ireland.:rolleyes: It's only the internet honey.

Your reason as to why he won't make a good mod is basically "he didn't report the post". I'd say a good mod for this particular forum is someone who's going to bother looking at it. He will.

Kingp35 posts as much as any one else on here, has the respect of the rest of the regular posters here and doesn't seem like the type that would get carried away with the slightest hint of "power".

That said I nominate Rooster. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Kingp35

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Talliesin wrote:
    Only when I've acknowledged them.

Which I did. However, as I said, I went straight to feedback to get the problem sorted.

I dont know what your problem with me is Talliesin. Im not gonna try and justify my actions here anymore when I have gotten the support of so many people in this thread already.

Ill leave it to the admins to decide.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Which I did. However, as I said, I went straight to feedback to get the problem sorted.
    You acknowledged your mistake, however you [insert mistake here].

Sorry, my brain hurts too much now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If kingp35 wrote the charter, would he do it blind folded, in order to avoid reading it... Answers on an envelope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sorry lads but I have decided I dont want to be a mod of this board. Have a read of the thread in Feedback to see why. I dont need to deal with some of stuff that has been posted about me and I dont want to associated with the people that posted it.

I sure Dev and Amz will come to a good decision regarding moderation of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Shame about that Kingp.
    The problem is that any other ppl interested in doing the job will be put off by the posts here!

Gillie wrote:
    Shame about that Kingp.
    The problem is that any other ppl interested in doing the job will be put off by the posts here!

I wouldnt blame them.

Well since I'm the only other person to put themselves forward, I guess I'll be the mod a soon as Dev gets around to it.

Rosco1982 wrote:
    Jesus ... where do I start.

First of all Talliesin, relax. You make modding a forum sound brokering a peace deal in Northern Ireland.:rolleyes: It's only the internet honey.

Your reason as to why he won't make a good mod is basically "he didn't report the post". I'd say a good mod for this particular forum is someone who's going to bother looking at it. He will.

Kingp35 posts as much as any one else on here, has the respect of the rest of the regular posters here and doesn't seem like the type that would get carried away with the slightest hint of "power".

That said I nominate Rooster. :D
    Thank you.

But having read Talliesin's (that's a hard bstard to spell) excellent definitions of Expert and Helpful posters, I am, without doubt, an expert poster :D Not helpful at all. I didnt really give a crap about the bad thread and was píssed that some hoor closed it just when we'd moved to to talking about women ;)

Kingp35 on the other hand tried his best to do something about it and sort it out. Also I'd say if you went through this forum from the start and looked at questions asked by people about darts, darts leagues etc, Kingp35 has answered or tried to answer far more than anyone else. Thankfully the regulars on this forum seem to be a really good bunch, but there is little doubt that Kingp35 is the most helpful poster in the community.

amz seems to have taken great offence at the way Kingp35 went about asking for an active darts mod to supplement amz work as cat mod, even though clearly no offence was intended. It would be great if amz would be big enough to grant "the wish of the people" and ask Kingp35 to be darts mod (i'd guess he'd accept if asked), then this forum would be run very well and would run very smoothly. And everyone would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Boston for mod.

Best not to have someone mod a forum where they are mates with all the regulars and one of the clique. You'd end up with people getting preferential treatment and a mod who wouldnt feel they could dish out justice to a regular in case it got weird.

People are also gonna be weary to put themselves forward now because they would be going against the darts cliques support for Kingp35.

6th wrote:
    Boston for mod.

Nothing personal Boston but you dont have my support. The darts posters wanted a mod that posts and contributes to darts and who is a regular viewer of the board. No idea if Boston is a regular viewer but he certainly isnt a regular poster.

Would be no different to Amz, especially since Amz has clarified that she does actually view the Darts forum on a regular basis (which I wasnt sure of because she has never posted before). I dont see any logic at all in making Boston the mod of the darts board.

Seems as if we have reached the core of the arguemnt here. I believe that the mod should be someone who knows about darts, has shown an interest in this forum before nominations for mod was opened, and has posted in this forum before. Boston doesnt fit the bill because he has only showed an interest in the darts forum once nominations for mod was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Thank you.

But having read Talliesin's (that's a hard bstard to spell) excellent definitions of Expert and Helpful posters, I am, without doubt, an expert poster :D Not helpful at all. I didnt really give a crap about the bad thread and was píssed that some hoor closed it just when we'd moved to to talking about women ;)

Kingp35 on the other hand tried his best to do something about it and sort it out. Also I'd say if you went through this forum from the start and looked at questions asked by people about darts, darts leagues etc, Kingp35 has answered or tried to answer far more than anyone else. Thankfully the regulars on this forum seem to be a really good bunch, but there is little doubt that Kingp35 is the most helpful poster in the community.

amz seems to have taken great offence at the way Kingp35 went about asking for an active darts mod to supplement amz work as cat mod, even though clearly no offence was intended. It would be great if amz would be big enough to grant "the wish of the people" and ask Kingp35 to be darts mod (i'd guess he'd accept if asked), then this forum would be run very well and would run very smoothly. And everyone would be happy.

I can't believe you'd take any notice of Talliesin ...... *shakes head*.

The thing about mods on internet forums is they hate being shown where they're going wrong. A finger pointed in their direction means a host of accusations thrown back at the finger pointer, as we've seen above and in the feedback forum.

He/She and every other relevant mod obviously didn't bother to look at the forum, a cursory glance at the forum (and a look at the title of that thread, along with the number of posts in it) would have made any decent Mod look at the thread to see what's going on. It would have taken less than a minute, but obviously they were just too busy.

They failed in their duties, and that's why he/she's taken such a completely OTT stance against Kingp35 being made a Mod. The last thing they want is the person pointing out deficiencies to be the one made a Mod.

I fail to see what the difference is between posting in the feedback forum and reporting a post, a Mod should see it either way and they both have the same effect. Surely substance should triumph over form ?

So he/she can hide behind all the technicalities he/she wants, but the fault does not lie with members, it lies with Mods. If they can't be bothered to look at the forum at all it's clear something needs to change.

For the sake of a bit of peace, give the members what they want : Kingp35 as a mod and Talliesin can toddle off back to the Sex and Sexuality forums.

Regards,

Rosco.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    he has only showed an interest in the darts forum once nominations for mod was announced.

Yea, but like, I'm already in the clique so it's all grand.

Seriously though, it's up to the regular users of the forum and the admins. Don't think for a second any of us have a say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement