Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex Drogheda

• 14-01-2007 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

I moved to Drogheda with my girlfriend and two young kids a while ago and today we took our first trip to the local picture house. The Omniplex in Drogheda. It was the kids first time at the pictures and we went to see Happy Feet.

I can safely say we will NEVER be going back there again. FILTHY KIP is the most polite description I can say here. The place is not fit to keep dogs in. As we walked in we were met with a carpet of popcorn and other rubbish not to mention there was not a sq. foot of flooring without about 10 pieces of chewing gum walked in and I'm only talking about the foyer. The walls, floors, ceiling, and windows were in an absolute disgraceful condition. We did not indulge in any of the refreshments on offer as I can just imagine the hygiene standards employed in such a premises. If it were just my girlfriend and I, I would have walked out there and then but I had the kids so excited I had to follow through.

As we walked in to the theatre the first thing I noticed was the lack of seating. We ended up in the 3rd row from the back in one of those double seats and one single seat between the four of us (kids are almost 2 and 3 years old). These were the last seats left apart from a few single seats here and there. The theatre only has seating for about 50 people and the tickets are not numbered. The theatre did not appear to have been cleaned since the previous occupants with the same popcorn, sweet wrappers and drink cups all over the floor that had greeted us as we walked in the main front doors. Again, I would have complained but the movie was about to start and the kids enjoying the experience was more important.

The next thing I noticed was the screen itself. It was manky!! Like someone had thrown wet teabags at it and all the stains were still there. There was one particular one in the upper right of the screen where whatever liquid had hit it had proceeded to flow down about two feet and left a very noticeable black stain.

As you can imagine, the room is quiet small. The sound was way, way, way too loud for such a room and most of the kids spent the musical parts (happy feet has lots of music) with their hands over their ears.

I did not need to visit the toilets but my girlfriend assured me the standard of cleanliness and hygiene were no different.

I used to live in North Dublin and was a regular visitor to the Omniplex in Santry. Its hard to believe the same company run both.

Definitely won't be returning!! and I'll be emailing Omniplex HO a similarly worded e-mail.

BTW: €21 for two adults and two less than 4 year olds is robbery for this picture house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

havent been in the drogheda omniplex in over 4 years, it was a kip back then, and it seems nothing has changed, I always prefered the imc in dundalk, i never go when it will be busy though so it could be dirty when its busy but any time i went it was pretty satisfactory, i'd imagine no where near the standard of cinemas in dublin but does the job and its only down the road using the m1

all cinemas are a rip off these days anyway too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Agree totally the place is a complete hole and is manky beyond belief. The smell of stale popcorn is atrocious. There is no supervision so more often than not there is a problem with teens causing trouble / noise etc.

We go to Blanchardstown if there is something we really want to see.

There is a new cinema opening in the next phase of Scotch Hall I believe but this will be two - three years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Not just the cinema, the whole god damn town is a hole!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Aw can you not make any new friends.

Sure there's a great bus service back to dublin.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

http://www.orlyowl.com/owlmerfudd.jpg :p

Hummm must have got the thread title wrong, I thought it was titled Omniplex Drogheda? Anyway OP I agree with you and everyone else. I haven't been there in about 3 or 4 years and obviously things haven't changed much. Xtra-vision has and will continue to have my business until the new one is built in Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

Agree with the OP this Cinema is disgraceful to the town of Drogheda.
    I remember when it opened first, hard to believe its gone downhill so fast.

The abbey cinema in the Abbey shopping centre was a kip also, thanks be to god they closed it.
    I actually walked through the abbey shopping centre over the christmas, hard to believe its still there.
    That property must be worth a fortune, and the shops inside it are a joke.
    Hard to believe they even have a turn over. Its so 80,s. The lease on a shop in there must be pittens.
    Still haven't tried out the strip club in it, that somes up the shopping centre in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Is the Abbey Cinema not part of the Omniplex? I thought that the two were amalgamated and called the Omni? Well if its closed now that's half the problem gone anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drogman

In fairness lads, tell us something we don't know. Everyone knows that the cinema is dump compared to others, however it still hasn't stopped me going the odd time.

Once it allows me to watch a film then I've no problem with it. I think too many people have been brainwashed into looking for the "cinema experience".

If you don't like it stay away, simple answer.

And anyway as someone mentioned before a new one will be build with the next phase of Scotch Hall.

Try the new cinema in Balbriggan, the New Savoy, its not bad but gets packed on a saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Friend of mine brought her kids and my daughter to the cinema there the other week. She has just had a new baby and they charged her for the new born baby!:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The first week I moved here I joined up with the DVD place in Wheaton Hall and he made it quiet clear to me that the cinema wasn't fit for dogs, and heres me thinking he was promoting his own business but it seems he was spot on.

TBH, if i'm planning on seeing a flick i'll do it after work in Dublin and head to Liffey Valley as its a kick ass cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

I agree on the Cinema front, actually it looks so crap I havn't even bothered to go. As for the town being a hole, it's a little off the subject matter for a moderator. And I, haviing lived here for two years now love the place( apart from traffic, but not unique in that regard ) and things are getting even better all the time! So there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i agree scotty i went a few weeks ago for the first time in ages and thaught it was an absolute kip and the staff were pig ignorant. looks like its back to dublin to see a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Puddles

Everything that's been said about the cinema in Drogheda is true. We brought our two sons to see Lord of the Rings 'Return of the King'. The Small room was so packed that we had to sit in differrent seats away from the boys. On top of the foul smell of urine, stale popcorn and mould, there was a group of teenage girls texting and taking pictures with their mobile phones and nobody did anything about it, even though it was reported to the staff. It was a shame that we payed in to see a three hour film, put it like that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Irjudge1 wrote:
    Aw can you not make any new friends.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

haha yea the bus service is good, they do good deals on one way tickets......
    what an IDIOT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭positron

Oh yeah, I went in with three others to see Happy Feet - and god, 'disgusting' would be an understatement! There were many kids there running around brandishing their phones, some ringing some flashing, and a little guy in front of us breaks into a dance (supposedly - involves jumping up on the seat and jumping over his mother-err-looking-creature) every time a song number ENDS!! His mother (I assume) just sat there looking miserable while this little guy went on to sing out loud, which later turned into swearing and screaming at random! The air was as if you had entered an cave, the moist, heavy type of air and a bad odor!!

I am in no hurry to go back in there!

Advertisement