Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVI to VGA Conversion

Options
  • 14-01-2007 9:59pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Bought a DVI card formy new machine but I have a VGA monitor,
    Didnt realise at the time it was a DVI card so theres no going back on it now.
    Went into maplins and bought a DVI to VGA adapter..What I wanna know is does the converter affect picture quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

VGA is not the "pure" signal, DVI is. So yes, it does affect it somewhat, but not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

will only notice it in movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Picture quality largely depends on the quality of the displays components that handle the VGA signal but seeing as DVI supports analogue and digital singles picture quality should not be affected as your display is the important part of the equation.

The DVI from your graphics card is called DVI-I which supports DVI-D (digital signal) and DVI-A (analogue signal) when using the DVI-VGA adapter it merely takes the DVI-A signal and wires into the VGA pins the signal is still analogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

8T8 is bang on. Had to look up this for my job last week as they couldn't get their graphics running dual monitors, turns out they had bought cards with a VGA and DVI-D connector. DVI-D connectors CANNOT be converted to be used on Analogue monitors. The DVI-I format is the best of both worlds, it has the output pins for true digital output, but it also has a secondary set of pins for analogue output (so all the adapter is really doing is connecting to the analogue pins instead of the digital ones) I'd check with the card you bought to make sure it's not the DVI-D format otherwise you won't be able to use it on an analogue monitor.

Regarding quality, only in the latest games and HD-DVD's would you notice the difference between VGA and DVI. DVI will be alot crisper as its the true digital output coming from the computer, VGA is that same digital signal converted to analogue so it loses some of its quality through the conversion process.

Advertisement