Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified Engineer in the Defense Forces?

• 14-01-2007 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    It's always been a dream to join the army, but I never grew, and when I left school I was too small to join the Cadets. So I went to college and got me a degree as an Electrical Engineer.
    I now have one year experience behind me, and still the thoughts of a disiplined role in the army is attractive.

I tried searching on military.ie, but can't find any information particular to my situation. I have always had an interest in planes - from both sides. I have had a lesson in flying before as well as read aeronautical engineering books and papers. However at 5'2" (almost), I am still to small to ever qualify as a pilot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for written information on joining the Defense Forces to work as an engineering officer?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

In the past there used to be Direct Entry competitions for such places, there may be again, but not for a while, as there are quite a few qualified Engineers doing a cadetship. This would be where you should start.

http://www.military.ie/careers/cadetships.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

If you contact any of this lot, they'll be able to tell you anyting you need to know about joinng the army with a degree.

Staff Officer, Recruitment and Competition Section, Defence Forces Headquarters, Coláiste Caoimhín, Mobi Road, Glasnevin, Dublin 9.

Telephone: 01-8042144/2149.
    Fax: 01-8042412.
    2 Eastern Brigade Area
    Dublin - Monaghan - Meath - Wicklow - Louth - Wexford

Manpower Officer
    Headquarters 2 Eastern Brigade,
    Cathal Brugha Barracks,
    Rathmines, Dublin 6.

Tel:01-8046453

1 Southern Brigade Area
    Cork - Kerry - Limerick - Clare - Tipperary - Waterford

Manpower Officer
    Headquarters 1 Southern Brigade,
    Collins Barracks, Cork.

Tel:021-4514108

4 Western Brigade Area
    Westmeath - Offaly - Longford - Galway - Mayo - Sligo
    Leitrim - Cavan - Roscommon - Donegal

Manpower Officer
    Headquarters 4 Western Brigade
    Custume Barracks, Athlone, Co Westmeath.

Tel:0902-21032

Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) Area
    Kildare - Carlow - Laois - Wexford - Kilkenny

Manpower Officer
    Headquarters DFTC
    Ceannt Barracks, Curragh Camp,
    Co Kildare.

Tel:045-445021

Naval Service

Manpower Officer
    Naval Headquarters, Naval Base, Haulbowline,
    Cobh, Co Cork.