Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Software for Car Computers

Options
  • 14-01-2007 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get the software to connect your laptop up to the computer on your car to see what the problem is when a light comes on.

The engine warning light came on the car and I don't want to go up to the garage and pay atleast €50 to get it check.

Its a Seat Ibiza 03

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maybe with the 50 quid, the garage will identify and fix the problem? I doubt 50 quid will buy you enough diagnostic equipment and know-how to cure it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's expensive stuff and is really only issued to dealers. I also suspect that the cable is proprietary and super expensive too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I miss the good ol' days when cars didn't have all of this computer shíte packed into them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

You need to buy VAG-COM. Then I'm sure somebody over on seatcupra.net will be able to tell you how to fix the problem. But AFAIK it's quite expensive and you'll need a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Max_Damage wrote:
    I miss the good ol' days when cars didn't have all of this computer shíte packed into them. :(

You preferred when Cars didn't have 8 Airbags, ABS, Traction Control, etc?

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    You preferred when Cars didn't have 8 Airbags, ABS, Traction Control, etc?

Well, I drive a car that has none of that, and to be honest, it doesn't really bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

The real feckers are cars from the mid to late 90s with a chip for everything but no central CPU keeping an eye on them all. When something goes wrong, theres no way to track it down.

@OP, answer is no, not without buying some very expensive hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Max_Damage wrote:
    Well, I drive a car that has none of that, and to be honest, it doesn't really bother me.

Everyone says that until they have a smash.

ned78 wrote:
    Everyone says that until they have a smash.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You can do some troubleshooting for little money (from 30-160). Your car is, (most cars made since 1996 are) OBD II complient which is a standardised form of diagnostics and monitoring. All you need is a cable, box, and software. You wont be able to do a lot of teh stuff that a VAG dealer has, but you can pull codes, clear codes and basically get information and see if an unscupulous dealer/mechanic is trying it on :)

There is free software available here that you can use to pull the codes and research online. VAG-COM has a trial version you could use too. These cables are traded on ebay cheap enough, just search for VAG-COM or OBD II.

I bought a cable for my Passat and Iibza when I was in ireland for about 30e and used the free software. Over here, I bought this which has already gotten me out of jail a couple of times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement