Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McEvaddy open to US military use of Knock

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I'm all for subsidising public transport.
    But Shannon is not public transport.

Let it stand or fall on it's own merits.
    But subsidizing the place for the US military to use it for part of their wars of aggression?
    Give me a break!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fair enough, but my understanding is that a large portion of the local economy is dependant on Shannon airport. If the government lets it collapse, (a) there are going to be a fair amount of unhappy campers, and (b) some alternate plan (probably also involving taxpayer's Euros) will be required to compensate.

What I'm getting at is that the situation is a bit more complex than simply 'Troops out:' A larger frame of reference is required. As long as you provide alternatives which also take these extra issues into account, feel free to continue.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I don't know about you, but I have to go where the jobs are.
    That means moving.
    I don't expect charity, nor do i ask for it.
    I don't know why the people around Shannon are so bloody special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The effects of such an arbitrary policy would last far longer than the large-scale US involvement in Iraq.

NTM

...and if the World Court ever rules on the Iraq War a fair few from the airline you spoke of may end up in the Hague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

What I'm getting at is that the situation is a bit more complex than simply 'Troops out:' A larger frame of reference is required. As long as you provide alternatives which also take these extra issues into account, feel free to continue.

NTM

The Geneva Convention nor the Nuremburg Charter mention effects of local economies that profit from war crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I seem to recall Shannon made something akin to a E3million profit in the latest year's figures. Troop movements accounted for somewhere just under E15million in revenues.

NTM

I think half the profit is some sort of switcharoo around between dublin and shannnon, I seem to remember they could earn even that more if they charged them ATC costs, how dare they let down the local economy by not doing so. Of course somebody is going to say they'd lose that contract if they did hmm...

I wonder what word describes people like him, I dunno maybe something old that your teachers told you didn't exist anymore, like tyrant or imperialist or something inbetween that and war profiteer there must be a good descriptive word, like mercenry which still applies sharply to the soldier that go to Iraq.

Advertisement