Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were..............in charge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

SeanW wrote:
    3: Shift the focus of capital development into public transport - expediate the plans for Transport 21 in Dublin City and draft new Luas lines for Cork, Limerick and maybe Galway.
    4: Unify the fare structures for Dublin city transport, Luas, Dart, DB etc under a single zonal fare structure administrated by the Dublin Transport Authority. Under a fare structure similar to that of Berlin, Munich, London etc, the passenger pays for crossing zones rather than changing modes. Also have a unified system map showing DART, Luas and main bus routes on all trains trams and buses instead of the "map our patch" maps that appear on trains and trams today.

I agree with most of your points, but these in particular. I cannot understand this government's meandering laziness over public transport. The above points seem so easy and straightforward - I can't see the downsides. You have to wonder what exactly is going on with the Dept. of Transport in this country, or what their problem is. Compared to many of our European neighbours, public transport is Ireland is pretty backwards.
    If we know something works better than our model, why don't we adapt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ESB already meter houses don't they? I was just proposing a change to the billing system. A software update at most.

You've never worked on a monolith of a software system then have you? "just a software update" would be .. well .... famous last words for anyone that ever attempted such a task in a blase and flippant manner.

First of all (and before even considering any sort of development work to update the system), the customer billing aspect of the ESB system is, I would hazard a guess, only a particular piece of functionality in a much larger and more complex system (unless I'm giving the ESB more credit than its due). We have no idea how "one little change" to that would impact other areas of the ESBs system. Having worked on what I can only describe as a monolith of a pharmaceutical system in a former job, I've seen the impact of what one would consider trivial changes can possibly have on an entire system.

Plus you are forgetting the militancy of the Irish government unions. Hell, look at the Garda pulse system. The garda unions wanted extra money just to use the damn thing! And then there's all other kinds of political maneuvering as people try to stick their fingers into the pie to grab a share that will have the inevitable increase in costs.

And all that's just for starters ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I would delete sub-section six of section eighteen in the Electricity Regulation Act 1999 to remove the ban on the use of nuclear fission for the generation of electricity.This would allow the ESB to accept electricity generated by nuclear power from Britain and pave the way forward for the building of a nuclear power station in Ireland to reduce our dependency on fossil fuels.There would be a new Act to regulate the nuclear power stations with rigorous safety measures and requirements.

I would introduce compulsory voting to ensure that everyone votes not just a minority in elections.It would ensure the safety and value of democracy in Ireland.

Advertisement