Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Air conditioning?

Options
  • 14-01-2007 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

Hello

Quick enough Q - this was standard on my new golf but apparently was a €1,600 option in prior years but my Q is what's so great about it in this weather? When I start up the car and put on the normal blower it's cold until the engine heats up and when I use the AC I notice no different - should the AC air not be instantly hot?

Just wondering what in basic terms are the advantages to AC and how should I use it?

Thanks,
    Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh unless you have climate control... turn it off!!! Its for cooling the air when hot, sort of like a fridge. It uses fuel.
    If you want it warm.. turn off the AC and turn up the heat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

AC is for hot weather only and speaking from somebody who had an 05 golf during last Summer without AC count yourself lucky. Although the cold air setting now blows nice cool air, without AC it'll blow warm air on the hottest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I leave A/C on with the heater on. better for keeping the windows clear, and doesn't use enough fuel to justify turning it off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

AC should be left on for at least 30 minutes each month even over winter as otherwise the pipes can dry out leading to leaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kbannon wrote:
    AC should be left on for at least 30 minutes each month even over winter as otherwise the pipes can dry out leading to leaks!

And to avoid the build up of bacteria which can lead to foul smells.

Colm is right, having the A/C running when trying to clear a front screen of condensation makes a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

as they said cold not hot...

really handy for a fogged up windows though... 10 second with ac and its clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some of us have electric heated front windscreens as well as climate control. Nothing can stop me. The ice tries but a couple of mins with the heated windscreen sorts it out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

colm_mcm wrote:
    I leave A/C on with the heater on. better for keeping the windows clear, and doesn't use enough fuel to justify turning it off.
    That's my own approach aswell.

My main reason for leaving it on though, is its less harsh on my eyes with the heat, than heating without A/C.

Advertisement