Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underground tunnell in athlone

Options
  • 14-01-2007 11:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭

well athlonians can you help me here.

i swore a couple of years ago the westmeath indo had an article about a susposed underground tunnel. it was meant to start at the army barracks and go under the shannon (might have connected at the castle) and end at old ginkels night club. is there any truth in that and if so do you know much about it or was i smoking something that i shouldn't?

other thing, is it true that there is a nuclear bunker in the barracks (only one in the country)?

this might sound mental but i swore i heard it once

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The bunker is a yes and is the designated spot where Bertie comes to hide if someone nukes us.

The tunnel I've never heard of, but I'll ask around the barracks and the diving club. If it exists, one of them will know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've heard of a tunnel under the river before,
    but never knew if there was any truth in it.

Yep on the bunker. When people are heading for the hills,
    Bertie and Mary Mc will be make a b-line for the flat lands
    to hide! (possibly via the undergound tunnel ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

There was a tunnel discovered over 10 years ago at bastion st across from garbs, the UDC were doing road works and discovered a tunnel and an old cellar.

The tunnel from the castle to the barracks I think exists, as far as i know, never heard about the one under the shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Go to Gertie Brownes for a pint and just as you walk up the steps to the back part of the bar, have a look at the framed document on the the wall on the left hand side. I don't live in Athlone anymore so I can't get a picture but maybe you could go in while it's quiet and get a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There is another nuclear bunker in Portlaoise for the government. Maybe that's why they have extended the motorway all the way to portlaoise town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fitzy2007

Yeah ur right there is an underground bunker from the Army barracks going somewhere alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wardy2007

the tunnel does in fact excist.....but the nuclear bunker is in fact a myth...i think there could be one in ahascragh though...(i have tat on good authority...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

i take it thee tunnel from castle and barracks is closed off even to barracks members or is it still in good nick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wardy2007

it has been closed of to allcomers for a long time now...im guessin maybe 30 or 40 yrs since it has been in operation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Maybe I'm dreaming but I think I remember reading something about some sort of underground shelter around the Custume Barracks, possibly inspired by imminent nuclear threats. All I can remember at this stage is a photo of a desk with those old-fashioned phones with dials on them. After that, my memory goes hazy I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Yes there are tunnels under the barracks running to a few places I believe think one runs to the castle for protection years ago.

Where I grew up there was railway line across the road and on the line you could see a big hole but It's kinda blocked If you know what I mean they say always said that was a tunnel although Im not to sure.

There are tunnels for sure under the barracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

No doubt about the nuclear bunker under the Billets in the Athlone Army Barracks. It has been de-comissioned for 30 years or more now.

The logic at the time was that it was a safe, central and secure site and more importantly, there were direct broadcast links (literally direct underground cables) to Radio Eireann, which at that time broadcast from Moydrum, Athlone.

Aside: To this day anyone on the Athlone bypass cannot fail to see the two masts near Kilmartin's roundabout. Them yokes.

Thus the Gov. could be secure and still get the message out. Or so was the thinking in the day.

There is indeed a picture of it. Would love to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

"underground tunnel" in athlone
    And there was me under the impression that all tunnels were (by definition) under ground ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

oh crap, well spoted, dohhh. hang head in shame. then goes for a pint.

Heh. Just in case you didn't believe the stories about an underground tunnel in Athlone, here's the proof :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Is that the one that's been on the wall in Gertie's for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    "underground tunnel" in athlone
    And there was me under the impression that all tunnels were (by definition) under ground ;)

Unless its a tunnel for growing plants and other stuff in.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

other thing, is it true that there is a nuclear bunker in the barracks (only one in the country)?
    There's also a bunker in Merrion Square Park, in Dublin. It's under the small hill/mound in the bottom right, in the photo. Being decommisioned for a while, though.

Occidental wrote: »
    Is that the one that's been on the wall in Gertie's for years?

I've no idea. Where's Gertie's?

Firetrap wrote: »
    Heh. Just in case you didn't believe the stories about an underground tunnel in Athlone, here's the proof :pac:
    That is brillient!! well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Just the briefly resurrect this thread, the bunker under Custume Barracks in Athlone does exist, and has a radio studio in it.

This has lines to the Athlone AM transmitting site - now decommissioned - but I guess those lines could if necessary be connected to anywhere else on RTE's network.

The studio was last maintained about 10 years ago.

This info from an engineer who was there 10 years ago.

The bunker contained rudimentary living accomodation and food supplies, amongst other things necessary for keeping 'important' people alive whilst chaos was raining down upon the population upstairs.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Anyone know anything about the brick tunnel found underground somewhere around Moate about 6 or 7 years ago ? I remember hearing the story at the time but haven't heard anything since. I thought at the time that maybe it was an Urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Firetrap wrote: »

Now THAT is cool ;)

Better than the Monorail even

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Ever since I was a child I remember my father telling me about this. My uncle who was stationed in Athlone said it was true too. Apparently if there was nuclear fallout Athlone would become the capital too because the heads of state would be living there.

While the rest of us burn.

It would be up to Cowen and Mary Mac to repopulate the country... now there's an image.

:D

Advertisement