Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation - Energy Ratings please help me understand

Options
  • 14-01-2007 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    just found this two week old times online article talking about the Energy ratings not applying until 2009.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/0102/1167401997581.html

However, can somebody please explain to me the real impact of this to the average bloke in his average house planning to insulate his attic to save some energy and hopefully maintains the headroom in the attic so he can stand upright...

The average joists are 10cm high and so are the rafters.
    I can find comment about up to 400 mm rock wool between and on top of the joists. But than I can't stand upright anymore.

What if I put 100 + 100 on the floor and 50 between the rafters (leaving 50 air gap). While its (hopefully) nice and cosy, but by law I probably am not in the required zone.

But then what will happen when it comes to selling the house?
    i may not get a certificate, but so what... using best practices I'll agree to knock off a couple of grand off the (hopefully still) hugely overinflated price of the house. Or how is this going to work? And who says my 50+ year old house complies with any other insulation values (walls/windows/ etc) why is everyone talking about the attic insulation...

Please could someone explain which part I'm missing... And how the attic insulation calc actually works - in layman's terms!

TIA
    WD

Advertisement