Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaming Nostalgia Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

DarkJager wrote:
    Commander Keen (see who remembers this)
    Number 4, Secret of the Oracle, was the best one ;)

Although i do have fond memories of the first one, Marooned on Mars, and love the ice levels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

First console was an Amstrad 6128+ over the standard 6128 which didnt have a cartridge slot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

User45701 wrote:

Hmm thats odd was the square built in 91? i don't remember the square being built when i got my mega drive

Sure was, opened in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i think i have you all beat when it comes the earliest machine
    my first console was one of those Pong machines i can't even remember the name of it but it had that wooden panel effect with the two paddles with a dial and a button, it had 3 games built in Tennis, Football and some other variation of lines and rectangles
    then i went through the Spectrum 48k, 128k
    BBC Micro
    Amiga 500, 1200
    and Then PC's and PS1 and PS2
    i won't be buying any more consoles as i spend too long on the pc and i a have a pile of PS2 games that i haven't even touched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Alex the Kid on the Master System (think it was built in), horrible control pad. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My first gaming experience was back when I was about 4/5 in 1976 when a neighbour got a Pong variant, it was so cool, but in those days well out of most forks price bracket so none of my begging worked on my folks.

Then it was a Donkey Kong machine in a caravan site inn Wales and on a school trip to Chester I got to play the machines on-board the Sealink Ferry, they had Battlezone and Galaxians.

My fist experience of a proper home console was my cousins Colecovision and Vic20 and a mates Atari 400XL, sweet!
    Then finally for Christmas in '84 I got a Spectrum 48k that was to be my pride and joy for a good number of year.
    The first games I got to buy for it were a crap basic programmed game and, more importantly Lunar Jetman and Knightlore, lovely!

After owning that for 4 years I dropped out of gaming til 1990 when I got a C64 and shortly after that a Gameboy. Loved Tetris, natch and Lemmings on it.
    The went for the Megadrive and splashed out on RoadRash 2, Biohazard Battle and Ecco.

A year or 2 later I had to buy the Snes and also picked up the wonderful Starwing and got Mario World for free so plenty to play there.
    Sold the thing when I moved back home after college and was suffering withdrawal from all things gamelike so, with my meagre few quid bought another Megadrive whilst waiting for the next gen to start. Loved Sonic3 and Virtua Racing.

The when the 3DO was released I went to my newly opened Gamesworld on Abbey Street in Chapters and blew a large wad on one. Now whatever history records about this machine, I loved it, it has so many good games, Wingcommander 3, Road Rash, Need For Speed, Star Control 2 and Return Fire, I still own one and all those games too!

Then I picked up the PS at launch on the strength of Wipeout and kept that love affair up to this day, I'm on my 4th PS and have 117 odd games for it, and amazing console. Best things on it, MDK, GT2, Rollcage 2, Ace Combat.

Then I sold up and bought my first PC back in 95/96, It was a Pentium 200 and I got Mechwarrior 2 and Quake for it, also bought a Rendition graphics card and that really blew me out of the water. Best thing on it was Interstate 76, brilliant.

Bought an N64 at launch, blew a fortune on all the launch titles, StarWars Shadow of the Empire looked incredible and Mario 64, well nothing needs to be said. I had good times on this one, Diddy Kong Racing being a standout title.

Then went for the DC, buying a jap import at launch, a great machine, loved MSR, probably the best racing game ever, and Incoming, Powerstone amongst others.

Then things went a bit odd, leading to my current obsession, I sold my jap DC to a kid who, despite living in a very well to do area hadn't got the money I wanted for the machine when I got there, so he game me 100 quid plus an N64 and a Saturn, and so my collecting had begun!
    Haven't looked back, now have over 30 machines, some rare, Virtual Boy, Vectrex and Atari 7800 and a woody 6 switch 2600 and the not so rare. I also went out and bought everything relevant or interesting for each machine so now have a very large stock of games in my gameroom, or museum as I call it!

I'm still buying every console at launch, PS2, Xbox, GC, 360, Wii but now I am breaking the cycle, I'm not buying the PS3 at launch, this time I'll wait til Christmas and see what exclusives are out there and if they light my fire, I'll get one, to be sure, but if all it is is a rerun of the PS2/Xbox thing where most games are multiformat releases with minimal differences I can wait!

So thats pretty much my gaming history from the start to today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Darnell13 wrote:
    Loads of memories to put here, but the one that stands out straight away is a memory form the Square, Tallaght. There used to be some sort of electronics store, on the middle floor, near the customer service desk, in what is now a travel agent.

Wow, I remember this store. It was actually right beside Easons. Was a really small store but one of the few places that you could buy games/ consoles etc. (outside the likes of Virgin Megastore on Aston Quay - the only place I could ever get games for my C16).

My first memory of any games was playing my friend's Vic-20 when we were in junior infants. He had this class game called power blaster and another one called blitz. Got my first computer when I was 7, it was a Commodore 16. Only had the games that came with it (X-Zapp and Punchy). My cousin had a Speccie and I loved Jet-Pac, Chukie Egg and Psssttt!!!

Upgraded to a C64, onto an Amiga and then a Megadrive (always wanted a PC Engine but because you couldn't get it here I was never allowed). Next up was the PS1, followed by the DC, XBox, Gamecube and finally the 360. Got a PC Engine a couple of years ago and GunHed is class:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Played in a friends house, Commander Keen!
    1_big.jpg
    (and some ancient F1 racing game where you could design your own tracks, we basically designed loop the loop rollercoaster ones!)
    And of course, Super Mario World on my own SNES that I eventually got, Cape Mario FTW! :D
    cape.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

I started with a Grandstand Pong console in probably 1979. Four games - Tennis Squash Football and Practice (Squash with one player :D). Two speeds - Normal or Fast and twp bat sizes - Large or Small
    Then there was my mate's Atari 2600 which we played almost every night after school.
    Then the ZX81 with 1k Chess and loads of stuff I typed in and saved from Sinclair User magazine.
    Atari 400 after that, with its supposedly touchpad keyboard :rolleyes: then an Atari 800XL - had a lot of problems finding games for it but loved it. Off the top of my head I can remember a submarine sim, and a game similar to Jet Set Willy where you had to collect musical notes...but I can't remember it's name.
    I missed out on ST/Amiga and early PC and bought a Game Boy in 1993 (?) I still have it and all the games (with instructions and boxes) including The Humans, Lemmings, Cool Spot, Zool, The Fidgetts.
    Played Megadrive, especially Speedball 2 with mates but my next consoles were actually retro - I got a brand new Atari 2600 for £20 and a C64GS - which was basically a C64 with no keyboard and just a cartridge slot - for £10.
    I drifted away from gaming for a while until PS arrived and I still have that, a PS2 and PC (but that doesn't get used much for games)

Del

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Does any one remember the old Duke Nukem games. Loved them, so long ago I can't remember if they were really any good or not :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The 2D platformers kinda suck, only decent game of the deries being Duke Nukem 3D, the follow ups were 3rd person shooters and also sucked, where oh where is Duke Nukem Forever we ask?
    And as for warm feelings when seeing a game in a collection, Ico, despite not being that old still gives me those tingles, best 2 weeks gaming ever.

Advertisement