Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three BDO Dutch goto PDC.

• 15-01-2007 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭

According to http://www.intdartsleague.nl/

Michael van Gerwen, Jelle Klaasen en Vincent van der Voort have left for PDC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Yip, there's a few posts on the BDO v PDC thread, but it probably deserves a thread of its own.

No news on Mervyn King yet. There are currently three rumours doing the rounds re Merv:

- he'll announce today that he's leaving
    - he is having second thoughts and wants more time
    - he is waiting for his BDO cheque to clear before making his announcement

I dunno if its King or van Gerwen who the PDC want to give the last Premier League place to. But if it is King, then he'll be needing to make his announcement today as today is the supposed to be the day for the PL announcement.

King and the 3 Dutch are all sponsored by Keuken Concurrent - and rumour is the sponors offered them €70,000 each to go PDC. Ted Hankey left the sponsorship team when the offer was made. Darryl Fitton was recently asked to join them, but it seems he's turned down the offer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have a funny feeling that Merv will switch. He would have simply come out and said that he wasnt switching codes if that was the case but he never said that. I personally hope he does switch, purely because we should then see more of him on our TV screens.

I think it will be very interesting, if Merv does switch, who they will give the last PL place to. Van Gerwen has alot of hype surrounding him but Merv might say that he wont switch unless he is given the place. He is of course also the more establised player. I think its 50-50 between the two at the moment, providing Merv swiches of course.

Official confirmation now here:

Dutch Trio join PDC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

thats great news news,just a pity we cannot see the tournament on tv that there playing in at the weekend,ah well premier league darts starts in february on sky sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Is the the death knell for the BDO then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thats great news that they have moved over. It really strengthens the PDC, and the tournaments should get even better.

The BDO were boasting about Klassen and Van Gerwin being the future of darts for them, so its leaving them in a bad state. Only Hankey, Adams and King of any note left. Can't seem them leaving for the PDC, they can see a couple more Lakeside titles being won by them now that their is no one left.

Home Simpson said it best, "Woohoo Default! The best two words in the English language!"

Can't wait for the Premier League to start back. Looking forward to seeing Barney/Taylor again......should be a cracker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This really is good news for Barry Hearn Pdc etc and sets up next year nicely.
    pity there isn't more TV events.

BDO Press Release

JELLE KLAASEN

Following recent media reports concerning the future of Dutch darts player Jelle Klaasen, the British Darts Organisation (organisers and promoters of the Lakeside World Professional Darts Championship) wishes to place on record its disappointment at the apparent intention of the 2006 BDO Lakeside World Professional Men’s Champion not to fulfil the contractual obligations placed upon him as to his future participation in the Lakeside World Professional Darts Championship.

To date, Jelle Klaasen has failed to provide the BDO with any explanation as to his recent comments in the media and/or whether he intends to participate in the BDO World Professional Men’s Darts Championship at Lakeside in 2008.

The BDO is currently consulting with its lawyers as to what legal and/or disciplinary action might now be appropriate.

Issued by THE BRITISH DARTS ORGANISATION: 17/1/07

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I didnt actually think that the BDO would go through with any legal action, mainly because I didnt think they could afford it. Although that press release doesnt actually confirm it, it looks like they are willing to do it. Maybe its because the BDO are realising that they are in trouble because they keep losing there best players. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Apparently the BDO are coming under a bit of pressure from the Lakeside and/or the BBC to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 goodforsomethin

i cant understand why they want to hang onto players that clearly dont want to be there, they would be better off putting their energy and money into more tv events and more incentive for players to stay or even join back.

The BDO are fast becoming a joke. Barney left to test himself against the best in the business, in Taylor, and now their young players are jumping to the PDC leaving them with very little.

This is what you get by not promoting your brand. Why should these players stay, when the BDO have only 2 live tournaments a year, and even then the coverage is rubbish.

Klassen, Van Gerwin etc, can see what Barney has achieved and want to be part of it. I think the BDO are also realising that with Holland being a hotbed of Darts at the moment, that they are not just losing players but also viewers.

The PDC and SKY are having a Dutch Revolution and must be rubbing their hands. They have high quality TV tournaments all during the year and will get huge numbers from Holland getting SKY and tuning in.

This is why the top 16 broke away, to actively promote their sport, something the BDO don't seem interested in.

They only have themselves to blame.

"Magic Darts Sid!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the BDO are threatening to sue Klaasen if he doesn't turn up for the Lakeside championship next year. Whats to stop him actually turning up? - it doesn't clash with the PDC championship.

I know the BDO and PDC have an agreement that their respective top 16 players can't play in each others tournaments - but Klaasen isn't personally bound by that and anyway he's not in either top-16.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Don't know about the PDC but i think the BDO wont allow any PDC members to play in their tournaments.If thats true all he has to do is arrive at the Lakeside,get turned away by BDO officials,then its not his fault.Can't sue then!
    Heard a rumour the BDO are talking about holding the Lakeside the same time as the PDC.Maybe thats the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Mervin king has switched to the pdc. bdo threatning to sue him and klassen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Heres a link to the King story...

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/LatestDetail/0,,10180~976879,00.html

and he goes straight into the England team for the Masters tornament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I also see that top BDO referee George Noble has also defected to the PDC.

I can see the BDO going nowhere but down from now on unless dramatic changes are made.

So Merv finally makes up his mind. I was beginning to think that he wasnt ging to make the switch but I think he has made the right choice. Personally I think it can ony be good for the sport to have all the best players playig in the same organisation and its looking like thats slowly happening.

It has to be seen whether or not the BDO will take King and Klaase to court over this, im not sure they can afford to do it. The BDO should concentrate on getting themselves in order, then players wouldnt make the switch and there would be no need for lawsuits.

BDO Spokesman and Barry Hearn take some potshots at each other and the BDO threaten legal action against Klaasen and King.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/6336101.stm

Glad to see Mervyn King confirmed as a PDC player. Love him or hate him he'll make for entertaining viewing.

Its also been confirmed that Shayne Burgess and Steve Coote have gone in the opposite direction, leaving the PDPA and joining the IDPA (BDO players body led by Martin Fitzmaurice).

The IDPA are running 6 Pro-Am events this year, with decent prizemoney, £2,000 for the winner down to £125 for the last 16. So Burgess and Coote have decided that'd be more cost effective for them.

George Noble has gone freelance, but I understand will be working mostly for the PDC. However he did do the BDO/WDF Dutch Open last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I was wondering when this will be announced. I have to say the BDO spokesman didn't sound happy but I loved Barry hearns comment, he really layed the hammer in on them and is right imo. BDO are there to provide a conveyor belt to PDC

Good to see Mervin over in the PDC. The quality there is now top notch. It'll be tough to stay in the top 16, and should make people like Mardel, Dudbridge, Part etc really up their game.

The BDO with little or no TV coverage are suffering, and they deserve it. Although jobbers like Hankey and Adams must be thinking they can now share a few titles between themselves now that there is no competition.

Come on the Barney Army!
    Magic Darts!

Two more players have swicthed over to the PDC.
    Greebe & Martin Join PDC Ranks

TEENAGER Toon Greebe has become the latest Dutch youngster to follow Raymond van Barneveld into the PDC ranks.

The Bullitt Junior IDL Semi-Finalist last year, Greebe has impressed many on the Dutch circuit and twice hit nine-dart legs in 2006.

He reached the quarter-finals of last weekend's Dutch Open, but has now opted to move full-time onto the PDC circuit, having previously competed in the Blue Square UK Open Scottish Regional Final last November.

Tony Martin - Courtesy Darts4YouHe joins fellow countrymen Michael van Gerwen, Jelle Klaasen and Vincent van der Voort in joining the PDPA since the turn of the year.

Dutch-based Englishman Tony Martin (pictured right) has also moved to the PDC, and competed in the UK Open South-West Regional Final on Saturday, defeating Chris Dale and Andy Callaby before losing to Steve Smith.

Martin has previously played in the 2005 Lakeside Championship, where he lost to Simon Whitlock.

http://www.planetdarts.tv/page/LatestDetail/0,,10180~979327,00.html

Advertisement