Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Well Do You Maintain Your Chariot?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

OK - Time for some real honesty!!

How well do you maintain your car? How often do you check the oil, coolant, tyre pressures, brake fluid, power steering fluid, bulbs, tyre condition, etc, etc.....?

IMO, these items should be a regular task for car owners, and every manufacturer has recommendations for DIY checks on a car.

Honesty would be great :D

How Well Do You Maintain Your Chariot? 46 votes

Every time I pull into a filling station
    0% 0 votes
    Once a week
    0% 0 votes
    Once a fortnight
    28% 13 votes
    Once a month
    23% 11 votes
    Whenever it dawns on me
    21% 10 votes
    Never
    26% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I check some of mine everyday, especially the older ones. The modern ones, every week, its just out of habit really.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I check the condition of my tyres and alloys every week out of habbit, usually replace the tyres when they reach close to minimum thread depth. I check the tyre pressure every 2 or 3 months. I do check the oil level regularly but don't really check any other fluids to be honest.

I also check my lights every couple of weeks. I get the tracking checked/adjusted once a year and the car is serviced every 12k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I check the oil level after most fillups, Change the oil every 4.5k miles or 6 months and change the gearbox and diff oil every 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I check my oil level at least once a week, if I didn't, the car would very quickly run out of oil. I also check the water level in the rad, aswell as the window washer and battery water levels once a week. Air in the tyres probably once every 2-3 weeks.

I change the oil & filter every 6 months, and the air filter, fuel filter, and plugs every 12 months.

Timing belt every 50,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

junkyard wrote:
    I check some of mine everyday, especially the older ones. The modern ones, every week, its just out of habit really.

If I was you, I'd be checking the oil level in the BM-TroubleYou's every journey. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

About once a fortnight for tyres, oil, water, etc. Service when the lights tell me to, brakes checked at least every 6 months, tyres when they hit the tread wear indicator, tracking and balancing if I feel they're out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I check the levels every now and again - should be doing it more
    Check tyre pressure every second fill

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well, I don't drive around with blown headlight bulbs. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tyres once a month, the rest is monitored by the computer. Car is serviced when the indicator says it, typically once a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I check the oil and water every day, this is due to it having an oil leak which I currently have no time to fix. I need to check the tyres more often, keeping them properly inflated saves fuel. I check the bulbs at least once a week, don't want to give anyone any excuse if they crash into me.
    Oil has been changed quite regularly recently, as the engine has just been rebuilt, it will be 3000 miles before the next change though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unkel Der Technic there! :D

I don't have a set policy but it works out at about 10-14 days

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Bah!

Once every month-ish

Fully valeted every week tho, filled every week with 95.

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Volvoboy wrote:

Fully valeted every week tho, filled every week with 95.

Do you live in your car? Or transport wildlife? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I service it myself (a mechanic uncle is a great addition to any family) whenever the book says so. Tyre pressure if I see them go down, oil every so often and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

once a month and serviced every 10000 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not the most regular at these checks myself - I usually wait for some light to come on:rolleyes: Sometimes, if I've bit of time, I might check the lights/levels. But I do see to it they are serviced at the correct intervals. I probably service the Bora (the one I own) a little ahead of schedule - but no harm in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

I check the fluids , oil and coolant levels once a week and the tyre pressures/condition and the windscreen water and the lights every day

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Twice a week I check oil,water, everything, washed twice a week as well, weather permitting...
    Have to have my Bella looking her best... :)

Advertisement