Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can you invest in Stock Market Indicie Funds

• 15-01-2007 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm fairly new to investing but I have a read alot on it. Where can I buy funds which are based on the overall value of a stock markt. I am particularily interested in funds of Indian and Chinese stock markets.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In Ireland I know of 3 ways (there are probably more)
    1. Quinn's investment products seem to be index trackers
    2. ETFs (some, not all)
    3. Some of the American providers do service EU customers e.g. Vanguard, but you need 100k to say hello.

Chinese shares are easy enough to track. Essentially there are 3 markets for Chinese shares - Chinese companies listed in the US (best quality companies), Chinese companies listed in Hong Kong (second best) and those listed in Shanghai (worst). Foreigners are not allowed to invest in Shanghai companies. The Xinhua index that iShares and I think Quinn tracks is Hong Kong listed Chinese companies.

India is more difficult because of restrictions on foreigners owning shares. iShares have launched an ETN (note rather than fund) tracking the Indian index, I haven't a clue how that operates or whether it is any good. One way to get India exposure is to invest in Indian companies listed overseas e.g. Tata motors, Wipro etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

As Hmmm says, you can use ETF's. Have a google for ISHARES to see what it comes up with.

Theres also the Shenzhen exchange in China, but as Hmmm says, foreign individuals are not allowed to invest directly in India or China, only Qualified Foreign Investors are (Mutual funds, Insurance, Pensions etc), so the only way you can invest is to do so by indirect investment in Mutual funds or ETF.

There may be some ADR or GDR issues but they would only be for a limited number of companies.

Advertisement