Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Philips LCD TV, can't hook up Digital AND Video - help!

• 15-01-2007 3:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi, I bought a Philips 20PF4121 LCD TV recently but am having trouble hooking everything up, ie TV, Video and NTL Digital Box.

I set it up exactly as it was before with the previous TV, ie scart from TV to Digi box, scart from Digi to Video, cable (what do you call them??) from TV to Video, cable from Digi to Video, aerial in to Digi box.

Double checked scarts are properly slotted in, they're fine.

The Digital comes through perfectly on EXT1 on my 'Source' menu, but I had to tune the video in to channel 0 - when I did the picture was perfect but there was no sound. All the channels come through the video channel but again, perfect picture, no sound. It tapes fine, but.....yep, perfect picture, no sound.

Just to test it out I eliminated the Digi box from the set up, put aerial in to video, scart and one of those cables from TV to video and it worked perfectly, but only through EXT1 on the 'Source' menu - which, as I said, is the channel my Digital TV uses when it's hooked up. There was still the same problem when I tried to tune the Video in to '0', picture but no sound.

This TV has a side panel of sockets, 'Audio In', 'Video In', 'S-Video' and 'DVI Audio In', wondering if I need another cable to connect the TV to the video to get sound??

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks.

PS Should have mentioned it's an old video but it worked perfectly in my previous set up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 XYZ123ABC

An S-VHS cable (male to male) arrived today from Pixmania, where I got the TV - don't remember ordering it?! I'm assuming this won't solve my problem, ie the video is old and I don't see any connection on it where the cable would fit. Helllllllllllllp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well audio should have come through over the RF cable when you tuned it in but check the video does it have a set of red/white of ports on it ?

Those red/white RCA connections are for audio and yellow is for video (composite) if you connect all three to the TV it should work.

If the video also has an s-video output connect the s-video cable from the video to the s-video port on the TV and plug in the red/white RCA cables for audio and you will get the sound.

If the TV has no composite or s-video output only scart get a scart adapter like this and set the switch to output & plug in your composite video cable & audio cables.

Example of composite video cable with audio cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 XYZ123ABC

8T8 wrote:
    Well audio should have come through over the RF cable when you tuned it in but check the video does it have a set of red/white of ports on it?

Thanks a million for getting back to me 8T8, I finally solved the problem a few minutes ago. Turned out it had nothing to do with the cables and connections, it was the System/area setting in the Install section of the Menu - it was set on 'Western Europe', when I changed it to 'Europe' or 'UK' the sound finally worked :rolleyes: Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thanks again.

Advertisement