Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 nations

Options
  • 15-01-2007 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

i have 1500 euro on Ireland to win, I got them at 15/8 just after they beat the pacific Islands, best price now is 6/4 even on betfair. If all our players are fit I reckon we should do it, even though we havent won the thing for 22 years. What are peoples thoughts, you reckon we will choke? I think England may suprise people but not enough to be contenders.

Also I noticed something weird on skybet, we are best price 3/1 (4.0) to win the grand slam which means winning all our games, but If you back Ireland indvidually in each match to win they are playing in on a accumulator. it comes to odds of roughly 5.74. get on before they realise it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

They have a good chance of winning It this year, I dont think though they will win all there games.

Fancy Scotland +12 game against England. Even money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wouldn't be too confident about a Grand Slam, even at home against France they are a big bogey team for us. One bet I always liked in the Six Nations is Italy to win with their handicap. The bookies seriously under-rate and assume that they will be trounced when they are a very physical team who make it hard for the opposition and very rarely go in at half-time trailing by much more than a few points. Maybe they'll have copped on this year but one to look out for. They beat the handicap in at least three of their games last year with the only exception being Wales (I think, could have been Scotland) when they drew and were favs.

The oldest rugby pitch In the world is gone so could affect them while at home.

I fancy there chance's but I would wait till after the first game's are over to see how all the teams are playing wouldnt say the odds would change to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Wales away is a tough opener, France at home is our bogey - who know's, but we were very confident this time 2 years ago too and it all went to ****, we are probably the best in it on our autumn form, but I wouldn't be going mad on it - France might be the bet? But then again they might be experimenting for the world cup.

Right, it's getting a bit nearer the time lads:
    For me, Ireland will come 3rd, France will win, probably do the grand slam and Wales for the triple crown, but don't rule out England, they may not be as bad as their press.
    Ireland will however beat Scotland and Italy, thus avoiding the wooden spoon. Scotland however will 'win' the wooden spoon.
    Any takers thusfar?
    My bets will be:
    France to win 9/4
    France to take Grand Slam 6/1
    S Jones top points scorer 5/1
    Cueto top england try scorer 3/1
    Trimble top irish try scorer 7/2

Now, answer me this - with ladbrokes Heymans is 4/1 2nd fav to be the French teams top tryscorer behind Dominici at 3/1, yet in the outright tournament top tryscorer betting he is 25/1 as opposed to Dominici's 14/1 (10/1 with pp) - now that has to represent good value in my book??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭iwincosimcool

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Right, it's getting a bit nearer the time lads:
    For me, Ireland will come 3rd, France will win, probably do the grand slam and Wales for the triple crown, but don't rule out England, they may not be as bad as their press.
    Ireland will however beat Scotland and Italy, thus avoiding the wooden spoon. Scotland however will 'win' the wooden spoon.
    Any takers thusfar?
    My bets will be:
    France to win 9/4
    France to take Grand Slam 6/1
    S Jones top points scorer 5/1
    Cueto top england try scorer 3/1
    Trimble top irish try scorer 7/2

Now, answer me this - with ladbrokes Heymans is 4/1 2nd fav to be the French teams top tryscorer behind Dominici at 3/1, yet in the outright tournament top tryscorer betting he is 25/1 as opposed to Dominici's 14/1 (10/1 with pp) - now that has to represent good value in my book??

props bad rugby knowledge and patrioism. Poor uncle o'driscoll and o'connel, props not likeing your underestimation, and props gonna show you what's what in modern day Ireland

Shane Horgan Said Im A Naughty Boy To Bet Without His Presence

props bad rugby knowledge and patrioism. Poor uncle o'driscoll and o'connel, props not likeing your underestimation, and props gonna show you what's what in modern day Ireland
    I've puzzled over this, what does 'props' mean?

What do ye think can we beat Wales by 4 points?
    10/11

Italy + 14 against France at 1011?

Italy should cover the handicap, probably the best bet of the lot, England probably have a decent chance too, the scots are having a bad time injury wise, and they can't afford that (i fancy them for the wooden spoon). Ireland v Wales is too close to call, we could hammer them, but equally slip up. Horgan is a big big miss, the munster lads aren't firing and haven't for some time now (prob the nov. internationals was the last time), i'd leave it alone personally, maybe some try scorer bets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm after becoming very optimistic about Ireland's chances at the weekend so I think 10/11 is a great bet. No Shane Williams, Mark Jones, Gareth Thomas, Thomas Shanklin, Gavin Henson and they will be heavily relying on a very inexperienced yet potentially brilliant James Hook in midfield.

I'll be be sure to take Ladbrokes -3 where PP and Boyles have a -4 handicap.

Think I'll also be on England -13 and Italy +7 at half time, both from Boyles @ 10/11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Ireland will NOT beat Wales this weekend.

Horgan's loss cannot be understated. I also reckon that they will take their eye off the ball with this Croker thing. Too much talk about it as if the Welsh don't exist.

And this is coming from a man that has backed Ireland for the grand slam some time ago!!

Why? Ireland will NOT beat Wales is a bit of a bold statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Not good enough. I think this Irish team is extremely over rated at the moment.

Beat a poor SA and a dis interested Australian team and were thus declared world beaters.

Wales are at home. They don't have Croker at the back of their minds (and don't fool yourself into thinking the Irish players haven't and won't be thinking about it) and have picked a team to disrupt the Irish scrum.

I really hope they do beat Wales. I'm going to bothe games at croker and the occasion will be much much bigger if they are undefeated coming into them but I can't see them beating Wales this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭marius

Ballyman wrote:
    Not good enough. I think this Irish team is extremely over rated at the moment.

Beat a poor SA and a dis interested Australian team and were thus declared world beaters.

Wales are at home. They don't have Croker at the back of their minds (and don't fool yourself into thinking the Irish players haven't and won't be thinking about it) and have picked a team to disrupt the Irish scrum.

I really hope they do beat Wales. I'm going to bothe games at croker and the occasion will be much much bigger if they are undefeated coming into them but I can't see them beating Wales this weekend.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Wales are an extremely weak team at the moment. Their front row are better scrummagers then their irish counterparts and their back row 'might' barely edge ours (both are extremely good) and their 9 10 combo is probably a little ahead of ours, but almost everywhere else we are superior than them.

They might be able to secure a bit more ball than us but their back line is pretty awful, they deffo dont have the forwards to murder us up front.

I think it will be a relatively low scoring game (compared to the last few wales ireland matches anyway) but that ireland will win by about 11. Just cant see where wales can hurt us to be honest.....

Ballyman wrote:

In that case theres free money at 7/4 with sportingodds waiting for your colection on a wales win, the draws available at 22/1 just incase.

Ireland WILL win but it probably wont be easy

I think Ireland are professional enough to not let "this Croker thing" and the pressure of being tagged as favourites have any adverse effects on their performance. I don't even know what possible effect playing in Croke Park next week could possibly have on Sunday's game.

And I agree with Marius on how the game will go. Even if the Irish pack struggles against Wales' potentially superior pack, I still think our backs are well capable of doing the job for us with limited ball.

Wouldn't go near the Grandslam though. Much better value in going with England here IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭bugs90

I reckon we should manage a 10-15 point win tomorrow over a Welsh team not at the top of their game.
    It will be interesting to see what effect Croker has next week, but thats a seperate topic!

i put another 800 on Ireland with stan james last night at 13/8 after hearing Gareth Thomas was suspended for the wales game. I hope france or england mess up tomorrow. I will make over 6000 in total if ireland do it, which is serious money for me. gonna be ****ting it on sunday

Ronan O'Gara Top Points Scorer at 6/1 with skybet looks overpriced to me given wilkinson is his main threat to that and he will probably end up getting injured.

if O'driscoll is fit for the french match, i really feel we can put on a show and soundly beat them, Horgan back in the team is a huge lift.

Also another note, Ireland have beaten the handicap in all 3 of the autumn internationals, as well as the welsh game, just thought id let you pessimistic petes know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Wilkinson has a helluva lead on O'Gara though and England likely to take penalties from everywhere with him on field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

What do people think of Backing England at 10/11 to beat Italy by 27 points or more.

Ireland to beat France is 1/2.
    Or Ireland to beat France by 5 points or more at 10/11?

Which is the safest bet?
    I have a PP voucher that was given to me as a present.
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Ireland to beat France is 1/2

Is it just me or does that seem like the worst value bet of all time? Bogey team and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Smart money is on France +5pts at evens. Will be a close match and could go either way, too hard to call!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I think the best value is ireland -5 but only if o driscoll and stringer play......

I'd rather see Stringer not play if I were backing Ireland, but I would not go near them at the price, that's not to say they won't win, the french are experimenting and Italy were so poor that last weeks win doesn't convince me on them yet, they're still probably the better bet, given the non-performance of O'Connell and the doubts over BOD and Horgan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Breaking news:
    O'Driscoll and Stringer ruled out of France match

:(

Bit of a tip

youll have to be quick on this as Im sure the odds will change, but currently stan james have ireland at 7/2 to win the tournament and skybet have france at 4/9. Back them both and youll make a profit no matter who wins . Or if you wanted to play it safe you could back england at 25/1 with paddypower, youll still make a small no matter who wins it. Bet the odds are gonna change quick though, wish i had money in my bank to do this myself

EDIT: Bollox that didnt last long someone must have realised france are cut to 4/11 now. Still Ireland at 7/2 looks a great bet seeing as there as low as 2/1 with paddypower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

just saw that stan james have italy @11-8, scotland @11-8 and wales @11-4 for the wooden spoon.

ok...dont know what 6 nations i've been watching!!

Wales play italy and then england..scots ireland and france....

Still reckon scot land will win wooden spoon...on points!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement