Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get a good 50" HD for €1500?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a decent 50" LCD or Plasma that you can get for 1500 or less or is this price range too low for that size?

A friend got this for 2,000 from a Sony Centre before xmas and he said it's reduced by 500 now, I haven't been able to check it out yet tho..

http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDF-50E2010&site=odw_en_IE&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV

TV will be used for Sky, DVD and xBox360, I've been led to believe that LCD is a better option for gaming but I found this website this morning so now I'm not so sure..

http://www.plasma-lcd-facts.co.uk/home/

Any suggestions, links or advice on the 50" and/or your Plasma vs. LCD preference (especially for xBox use) is appreciated :)

Would you consider a rear view project tv? Sony do a nice 50'' one for about €1300

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

recommend that Sony 50", have it hooked up to SkyHD, DVD upscaler and really happy with results, friend has the same tv and his xbox360 hooked up and again no issues, you might get a better TV but you will pay a good premium which IMHO is not worth it on a simple cost/benefit basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So what's black levels like on rear proj TVs then?
    Are they better suited to a darker room?

Are there any other issues like ghosting to be aware of?

What kind of dimensions are we talking? CRT? Slimfit CRT? Less?

Oh and what about replacing bulbs (assuming you need to)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'll try to answer specific to the Sony 50"

So what's black levels like on rear proj TVs then?
    I see no issue with mine, I would have had a Sony RPTV before this and this one is a deffo improvement

Are they better suited to a darker room?
    Well I think all tvs like the darker room because they will all suffer glare, the Sony came factory setting up to the hilt so I reduced the settings big time and have no issues. I know that when I saw it in the shop it looked weak but my sitting room is not littered with a dozen glaring spots.

What kind of dimensions are we talking? CRT? Slimfit CRT? Less?
    Best is to visit the sony website for exact dimensions, or better still a shop, way less than any standard crt, not sure about a slimfit, deeper than a LCD/Plasma, because mine fits into a corner not an issue

Oh and what about replacing bulbs (assuming you need to)?
    Just the one bulb easily accessable for DIY replacing, I have mine since April 06 so nowhere near replacing time yet, again the Sony website will give an indication of life span, I had my previous Sony PRTV for two years and no sign of replacement needed for its 3 bulbs

I don't have access to avforums - in work - but if you go there and search on model number there is a huge thread on this tv, I found it excellent when I was considering the purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 themainburger

kearnsr wrote:
    Would you consider a rear view project tv? Sony do a nice 50'' one for about €1300

I've decided to go with a wall-mounted after seeing it in a friends house..would really suit the room it's going in..so I'll prob have to raise the price range a little in order to get something proper :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement