Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Swimming Pool in Balbriggan / Balrothery?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I seem to remember talk a while back about Swimming Pools being built in the Blabriggan area. One in a Gym / Sports complex near Hamlet Lane and a Public one (to be run by Fingal Co. Co.) out around Balrothery.

Has there been any word on this recently, or will it only resurface in April / May when a certain General Election buzz goes around the place?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That would be pretty cool.

Haven't heard anyhting about it though.

How bad is Gormanstown? a swimming pool in a boys boarding school just really doesn't appeal to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Moonbeam wrote:
    That would be pretty cool.

Haven't heard anyhting about it though.

How bad is Gormanstown? a swimming pool in a boys boarding school just really doesn't appeal to me!
    Gormanstown used to be OK, haven't been in a while. But it's not open to the public all of the time (the young lads in the School get preference) then the opening times may not suit.

Or it may only be open for lessons and not a Free-Swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

FYI Planning Application Details F06A/1495

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/LivingInFingal/Planning/PlanningSearch/

The development was given planning permission on December 4th. They have begun to clear the site this week.
    Full Development Description

A mixed use commercial and retail development at this site includes four buildings arranged along the fronting roadways, Blocks A, B, C, D enclosing a courtyard and a multi storey carpark. Block A is a 3 storey building fronting the Inner Relief Road with two street level retail units and training centre offices overhead. Block B is a 3 storey fronting the Inner Relief Road with two retail units and a sandwich bar/cafe at street level with overhead training centre offices, linked into Block C at third floor level. Block C is a 2,3 and 4 storey building accommodating a banking hall at street level and associated bank offices overhead on two floors at the corner of the Inner Relief Road and the estate road and 3 no. own door science and technology offices fronting the estate road. The building will have roof terraces/gardens at second and third floor levels along the estate road. Block D a 3 storey building accommodating commercial leisure centre, including swimming pool/wet area, changing rooms, gym, aerobics, treatment rooms, reception and foyer. A multi storey car park with ground level retail kiosk is located in the courtyard. Vehicular access is provided from the industrial estate road with access to the ground level car parking serving the bank and to the ramp serving the multi storey carpark. Permission is also sought for an ESB substation, gas meter room, switch rooms, bin storage, bicycle parking, all associated site development works and services

Moonbeam wrote:

Gormo is both boys and girls, and has been for a good few years at this stage.

Bluetonic wrote:
    FYI Planning Application Details F06A/1495

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/LivingInFingal/Planning/PlanningSearch/

The development was given planning permission on December 4th. They have begun to clear the site this week.

Very Interesting. Thanks for that ... there sure is a lot going in there. Is there really a need for more offices, though. Particlarly when many of the other ones in the town are not yet filled.

• Advertisement

It appears to be only 3 offices, not too many and they will be facing onto The Harry Reynolds Road so in keeping with the other offices in the area.
    Swimming pool, gym plan for Balbriggan

By Robin Kiely

A NEW leisure centre, comprising a swimming pool and gym, as well as a bank and retail area could be on its way to Balbriggan if the council grants permission for a mixed use development in the south-west of the town.

Pat Fallon, with an address at Newgrange Business Park, Drogheda, is seeking permission for a mixed use commercial and retail development on a 1.704 hectare site, formerly the Potato Store, at Stephenstown.

Four buildings are planned in the scheme, arranged along the fronting roadways in a triangular shape, enclosing a courtyard and a multi-storey car park.

‘Block A’ is planned as a three storey building fronting the Inner Relief Road with two street level retail units and training centre offices overhead.

‘Block B’ is also three storey, made up of two retail units and a sandwich bar/cafe at street level with overhead training centre offices, linked into ‘Block C’ at third floor level.

As well as the cafe, commercial retail outlets could include office equipment and systems, IT, telephony equipment and a pharmacy.

‘Block C’ is made up of two, three and four storeys accommodating a banking hall at street level and associated bank offices overhead on two floors at the corner of the Inner Relief Road and the estate road.

Three science and technology offices are to front onto the estate road, while the building will also incorporate roof terraces and gardens at second and third floor levels.

According to the plans, the three storey ‘Block D’ building will accommodate a commercial leisure centre, including swimming pool, wet area, changing rooms, gym, aerobics area, treatment rooms, reception and foyer.

A multi-storey car park with ground level retail kiosk is earmarked for the courtyard, while vehicular access is provided from the industrial estate road.

The site is bounded to the north, east and west by industrial units and by the Inner Relief Road to the south and is described as ‘a key junction location’ on the new route leading from Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

It could be Jackie Skellys as they are due to open in Balbriggan in 2007.

dubmick wrote:

Whoever runs it I hope membership fees are kept above average so as to keep the riff raff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

dubmick wrote:

I hope not, her gyms are a joke. Dirty changing rooms & mouldy showers, dirty machines, high joining fees and high monthly payments.

d-redser wrote:
    I hope not, her gyms are a joke. Dirty changing rooms & mouldy showers, dirty machines, high joining fees and high monthly payments.
    Are you Ben Dunne in disguise? ... that sounds like one of his Ads :)

I agree with you, though, I hope it's not one of hers ... I thought there were plans for a public Pool in the town. Like the council one run in Finglas, or the Markewiec centre in the city centre (near Tara Street)

• Advertisement

I thought there were plans for a public Pool in the town. Like the council one run in Finglas, or the Markewiec centre in the city centre (near Tara Street)
    No, there are no plans for such a pool. The only such one planned is for the ballast pit in Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

So no gym? :( ah well...

d-redser wrote:
    So no gym? :( ah well...
    There will be a gym as outlined above with pool.

My response was to FB post regarding a public pool.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know this thread is very old, but does anyone know if this is any closer to being built. The gym in particular as I'm sick of going to Jackie Skelly in Swords

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The site is in construction stage at the moment alright. The shell of the buildings are going up pretty quickly as they are all concrete casted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Where exactly is it going up?

"formerly the Potato Store, at Stephenstown" - is this on the way up to Arro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

it is opposite Sonopress, The Passport Office and Fingal Recycling

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers lads, I know where that is now. I had it arseways.

Good to see the building going alright. They were a long time clearing that site.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

Ah now I get it !!

They just started recently, putting up the boards along the path there !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

thats it

http://www.balbrigganbusinesscampus.ie/

That site is on the hordings but nothing on the site yet

• Advertisement

Here's the site back in the day

http://www.balbriggan.net/bmxjuly08.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

^^^^^
    Here is a picture I came across on a BMX site a while ago.

I dont think its anyone local , b nordies mainly (Laferty bros in the falcon gear, the guy in the raleigh??)

BMXbalbriggan.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nstoev

sgarvan wrote: »
    thats it

http://www.balbrigganbusinesscampus.ie/

That site is on the hordings but nothing on the site yet

No mention of a pool or gym in the plans on the web site. Seems like the whole Block D has gone missing!

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Block C is a 2,3 and 4 storey building accommodating a banking hall at street level and associated bank offices overhead on two floors at the corner of the Inner Relief Road and the estate road and 3 no. own door science and technology offices fronting the estate road. The building will have roof terraces/gardens at second and third floor levels along the estate road.
    The bank in question here will be AIB.

One can only presume they will be closing the building on the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

No apparently its going to be a call-center for AIB & the dingy branch will stay where it is:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

So, 2 years and four months after the orignal post we're still none the wiser on this??! They built their commercial offices and left out the leisure centre :confused: or does anyone have an update/news on this. The local elections are coming up in June.... must make a few enquiries of the candidites

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Helmet

I mailed Marc Meehan the project manager on that site a few months back to see what the craic was. Here's his comprehensive, informative reply,,,,,,,,

"There is planning for a leisure centre but nothing will be built for a few years"

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I recieved this on the first of April 2009. Hope this clears things up for the time been.

Skerries Community Association

Last Friday, the SCA was contacted by Senan Turnbull, Director of Services for Community, Sport and Recreation at Fingal County Council.
    Mr Turnbull informed us of the County Manager’s decision to request that Minister Martin Cullen make available 2.5 million euro of funding from the Local Authority Swimming Pool Programme for the proposed swimming pool at Balbriggan Rugby Club in Balrothery.
    A letter to this effect has now been sent by the County Manager David O'Connor to Minister Cullen.
    As most of you will know, funding of 3.8 m euro from this scheme was provisionally awarded to the swimming pool project in the Ballast Pit in 2001. The council has now requested that 2.5 m euro of this allocation should be transferred to the Balrothery project which will have to provide a certain level of public access in return. As a result of this, none of this 3.8m euro of public funding will now be available for the pool in Skerries.
    We wish to express our great disappointment and frustration at the loss of this funding opportunity for the Ballast Pit pool. We want to acknowledge the sixteen years of tireless work and dedication of the members of the Fingal Swimming Pool Association and the efforts of the people of Northeast Fingal, particularly in recent months, to try to secure a public pool for our community at the Ballast Pit.
    Our thanks again, to all those who have contributed to trying to make this project a reality, in particular the members of the Fingal Swimming Pool Association:
    John Coleman, Chairman
    Maureen Ferguson
    Norman Scott
    Lucy Wilson (deceased)
    Michael Keatings
    Eugene Osborne

Confirmed that AIB are relocating here.
    AIB to Open New Balbriggan Branch
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:52 AM

(Source: Irish Times)AIB IS TO relocate its bank branch in Balbriggan to a new business park on the outskirts of the north Dublin town. The bank has leased about 464sq m (5,000sq ft) of retail space in Balbriggan Business Campus and a further 210sq m (2,260sq ft) at first floor level.

A spokesperson for AIB said it would be opening a new branch towards the end of the year.

The bank is likely to be paying a rent roll of [euro]235,000 per annum, equating to [euro]376 per sq m ([euro]35 per sq ft) for the retail space and about [euro]161 per sq m ([euro]15 per sq ft) for the offices.

It will be the first significant letting in the campus which will have three blocks with a total floor area of about 9,290sq m (100,000sq ft). The ground floors will be in retail use. The development, by businessman Pat Fallon, also includes a multi- storey car-park with 262 spaces.

Nigel Kingston of Douglas Newman Good Commercial said that, despite the tough conditions in the office market, the agency is still positive that the combined factors of value and location would make the campus a definite prospect for office accommodation in north Dublin.

The campus is within five minutes' walk of Balbriggan town centre, is off the M1 and within 15 minutes drive of Dublin Airport.

(c) 2009 Irish Times. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights

Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

DubArk wrote: »
    I recieved this on the first of April 2009. Hope this clears things up for the time been.

Skerries Community Association

Last Friday, the SCA was contacted by Senan Turnbull, Director of Services for Community, Sport and Recreation at Fingal County Council.
    Mr Turnbull informed us of the County Manager’s decision to request that Minister Martin Cullen make available 2.5 million euro of funding from the Local Authority Swimming Pool Programme for the proposed swimming pool at Balbriggan Rugby Club in Balrothery.
    A letter to this effect has now been sent by the County Manager David O'Connor to Minister Cullen.
    As most of you will know, funding of 3.8 m euro from this scheme was provisionally awarded to the swimming pool project in the Ballast Pit in 2001. The council has now requested that 2.5 m euro of this allocation should be transferred to the Balrothery project which will have to provide a certain level of public access in return. As a result of this, none of this 3.8m euro of public funding will now be available for the pool in Skerries.
    We wish to express our great disappointment and frustration at the loss of this funding opportunity for the Ballast Pit pool. We want to acknowledge the sixteen years of tireless work and dedication of the members of the Fingal Swimming Pool Association and the efforts of the people of Northeast Fingal, particularly in recent months, to try to secure a public pool for our community at the Ballast Pit.
    Our thanks again, to all those who have contributed to trying to make this project a reality, in particular the members of the Fingal Swimming Pool Association:
    John Coleman, Chairman
    Maureen Ferguson
    Norman Scott
    Lucy Wilson (deceased)
    Michael Keatings
    Eugene Osborne

Is there any further developments on this pool issue?
    I was at a public meeting in 1994 in Rush when a site for the pool was donated by a local club and also €1.5 million pledged within 48 hours of the meeting. I believe the money was pledged on condition the pool would be built in Rush seen as how Rush gets by-passed for most other things!!

Advertisement