Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.Ed for CAO

Options
  • 15-01-2007 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Hey,
    Could anyone tell me if the Primary School teaching courses (B.Ed) in Coláiste Mhuire Marino & Froebel College of Education are similar to the B.Ed's in St Pat's and Mary I? Basically are they private courses (are there fees involved) or is it like applying for an ordinary course in other courses??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

The Froebel and Marino B.Ed.'s are run in conjunction with Trinity College. They're not private colleges, so the Free Fees Scheme applies just like in Mary I and St. Pat's. The major difference between the Trinity-linked courses and the other two is the following: after three years' study in Mary I or St. Pat's, you will be awarded an honours degree from UL or DCU respectively; however, Trinity's system is different: after three years' study in Marino or Froebel, you would be awarded an ordinary pass degree from the University of Dublin (Trinity), and, should you wish to obtain an honours degree, you must complete a fourth year, which is based entirely in Trinity. So, basically it boils down to a choice between three years or four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I heard a lot of Marino is done through Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 natrisioga

Are there many advantages to going to either Marino or Froebel, once you get your honours degree from there four year course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

i know this girl who went to marino she says its more practical than st.pats which is more theory. but i dunno

I heard a lot of Marino is done through Irish?
    Well, Irish is taught without the use of any English, and lecturers in all subjects will throw in a bit of Irish now and again. All official college announcements and things like that are in Irish. It's really not a big deal.
    natrisioga wrote:
    Are there many advantages to going to either Marino or Froebel, once you get your honours degree from there four year course?
    Well some people might say having a Trinity degree is an advantage. Marino seems to be very highly regarded amongst teachers themselves.
    geminilady wrote:
    know this girl who went to marino she says its more practical than st.pats which is more theory. but i dunno
    Well, I live with two people who do education in Marino, so that's what I'm basing all this on. They're always making stuff and doing projects and the like. I can't speak for St. Pat's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In Pat's you do any extra degree on the side, like arts. So I've heard. The whole Froebel system is completely different way of teaching, although the new 1999 curriculum is based on a lot of it.

Lots of letting children explore and learn for themselves, you guide them more than teach... Going outside, hands on stuff, making games... drama, dance, song, art, integration... Look up Friedrich Froebel online, it's based on his philosophy.

The Trinity on the side, on Mondays, is very hard. Subjects like history/sociology and philosophy of education, child psych, lang dev... Lots of stuff.

Oh, and yea... Fees are paid by gov in Froebel, unless repeat then it's 3000e a year. You will get a grant if you are eligible.

You also have to go to the Gaeltacht for 3 weeks as part of the course. So there goes mid term!! :(

Lil Kitten wrote:
    In Pat's you do any extra degree on the side, like arts. So I've heard.
    That's not technically right: Pat's students do an arts subject as part of their B.Ed., but it's not a separate degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Im in Mary I.
    We do an arts subject as part of our course aswell.
    It's not seperate as it counts towards our QCA..but another thing is that depending on what subject you do you mightn't even get a degree at the end of it!
    Only if you Maths, German and Irish do you get a degree I believe.
    If you do any other of the arts subjects and you want to get a degree in it, you'll have to go back to college and do a semester just in that subject.

It's so idiotic though..we do 7hours a week in our arts subject(plus all the work that goes along with it), thats just a few hours less than our education subjects..we want to be primary teachers, what good is doing an arts subject when at the end you mightn't even have a degree in it and it counts towards our QCA!! argh! It's like doing two courses in one! Swear if having the education subjects wern't enough!

Im lucky though..I do German so I will have a degree at the end of it..but what am I going to do with it?! I hardly want to do a H.Dip and be a secondary school teacher..I would have done a B.A if that was the case!

Advertisement