Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Term Let - Deposit quesiton

Options
  • 15-01-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi

Please advise me - We have to move out of our house for about 2 months as we are building an extension.

We have found a house which we can rent for 2 months - The landlord wants the 2 months rent and an additional month as a deposit.

i have no problem with the 2 months rent in advance - I do mind also paying another month as a deposit - I am willing to pay a deposit, but not a full month as he already will have his rent paid.

Does anyone know wat is normal in this situation

Please post ASAP as I have to decide today

Many thanks
    Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well, if it was my house, I'd want exactly as your short term landlord has requested. It's a short enough period and any changes to the period involve further messing and potentially further costs for the landlord.

The deposit is standard, who would let someone unknown to them have access to such a substantial asset without some degree of surety that it would come back safe and sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to agree with Avns1s on this one.
    Its such a short term lease, that the owner of the house is just covering himself. Normally you would not be able to rent a house for such a short period of time full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks for the replies

I have never had to rent before and dont know what is normal.

The short term let suits the landlord also as the property is on the market. It will be shown while we are renting.

Paddyo

Advertisement