Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisey Water pipe into tank

Options
  • 15-01-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an apartment and the pipe that goes into the cold water tank gets REALLY loud when filling the tank.

There are 3 apartments in the building and i checked them all but mine was the only one with the problem (top floor).

Any ideas? It can be heard all over the apartment.

It's like a loud hissing and the longer its left the louder it gets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Recently I seen in cisterns a little device that was made of plastic that was attached to were the water came out and it was virtually silent. check out link...

You might get one for a tank for yours. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

mad m wrote:
    Recently I seen in cisterns a little device that was made of plastic that was attached to were the water came out and it was virtually silent. check out link...

You might get one for a tank for yours. Link

Are these for a toilet or loft cistern? I think the OP was referring to a loft and i would like one of these too as the tank is noisy when filling - just the sound of running water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Go to Dublin Providers and they will sell you a replacement valve with a little downpipe on it so when the tank is filling the water goes in under the surface and so makes no noise.
    Alternatively for a few cent you can replace the little plastic flow restrictor inside the valve with one with greater flow. This will reduce/eliminate the hiss.
    Have a look at the float arm, often a different sized flow restrictor is left on there by the manufacturer to let the user choose. They are usually red or blue or white in colour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If its splashing water that is causing the noise you could try put a piece of garden hose on to the end of the filler valve so that it is submerged in the water. That will sort out the splashing sound. If its a whistling/hissing sound then you may need a new valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

The noise is actually coming from the water being transported through the pipe itself. It's along the whole lenght of the pipe a loud hissing noise. Maybe the pressure of the water going through it. But still it shouldnt be making this noise?

The water dropping in is not loud at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be the valve even though you hear the noise in the pipe. Water is relatively good conductor of sound so it's possible that the noise is being transmitted from the valve through the pipework. I'm assuming its the mains feed pipe which means it's hydradare rather than copper.

Advertisement