Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle for Target Shooting (300M+)

Options
  • 15-01-2007 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Folks,
    Looking to invest in a rifle for long range target shooting.
    When it comes to full bore, i'm a complete novice. Have being talking to a couple of lads in the club and they're saying that .223 would be a good choice. Can anyone suggest a couple of rifles, pro's and cons of calibers etc... I'll be heading to the clubs next full bore event, but that's a few weeks off yet.
    Cheers,
    Mick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

.223 wouldn't be the best for that sort of range especially the + part

I could be wrong as as I use mine for hunting and not the range but from my experience it'd be a little underpowered for the longer ranges

As an intorduction to full bore .223 would be good as ammo is cheap and its a nice calibre to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Vegeta, .223 is used by serious competitors at 1000m+

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

civdef wrote:
    Vegeta, .223 is used by serious competitors at 1000m+

Really :eek: Do they use handloaded or custom rounds? Heavier, faster??

If there are guys doing it then ignore my advice. Just going on my experience I would go with something bigger especially out to a KM

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

For long range target shooting you would be best looking at calibres such as:

6.5x55
    .300 win mag
    7mm mag
    .338 lapua

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

6mmBR is currently regarded as being pretty optimal for the 300M ISSF stuff.
    And isn't .303 still used in Bisley for service or target rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bernard93

6mmbr is a great round (have one myself) but factory ammo is expensive and hard to get, handloading would be the best route, but with the new bill its still up in the air...

The .223 is a geat choice, but for long range your looking at a 1in8 to 1in7 twist to shoot 80 to 90 grain bullets and not a lot of factory rifles will come with that sort of twist....

The best option would be a 6.5 swed or .308.. good ammo, easy to get hold of.... and best of all will get you out to 1000 yards........

Sparks

Only 308 in Target Rifle and the service rifle has a class for 303 but is mostly shot with .223 Ar15 (manual operated) or Sa80 for the British Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Tikka T3 has a 1 in 8 twist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

I was in exactly the same position about a year ago.
    Heres what I did:
    Clarify as much as possible to yourself what disiplines you will be shooting in.
    For arguements sake if you are looking at F class, there are different catagories, i.e make sure the rifle you chose will be suitable for the disipline at hand.
    I looked at the calibres available, and due to price, availibility, and the fact that I do not reload (yet), narrowed it down to .223 and 6.5x55.
    Problem with 223 has already been outlined, relatively a lighter bullet for the longer distances.
    I went with the 6.5, good quality match ammo (lapua) easily available.

Advertisement