Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red ring of death

• 15-01-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I tried searching the forum for opened topics relating to this but it wouldn't work so I'm starting a new one...

So I turned on my 360 last night to fire up some gears of war. Loading screens passed and it stuck on the 'press start' screen... so I thought - weird... i'll give it a reboot, should be grand. Panic stations - red ring of death appears. Turned it off, googled the 'red ring of death' and found that I'm not the only poor soul that this has happened to.

I've tried everything anyone has suggested - from plugging the console into a known working wall socket, to suspending the power block in the air. None of them have worked so far.

I bought the console a year ago (nearly to the day) so I'm presuming that i'll have to fire it off to Microsoft for repair.

Am wondering, has anyone had this happen to them here? If so, how much did it cost? How long were you waiting to get it back? Did you get a replacement while yours was getting fixed?

Very pi**ed off, only becuase I'd say I've had the thing turned on for bout a month and a half (if you add up all the time I've been playing it)...

Any replies would be great...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Have a look back at the threads in this forum. There has been loads of people with the same problem. Everything you want answered has probably been answered in another thread

Go to the bottom of the page and change the option to show all threads since beginning. Then just work your way back through the pages and you'll find loads of threads about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

one solution that seems to be working for alot of people, is turn of the console, stand it vertically, and press the two sides inwards, having your hands placed near the top of the console.

Dno what it does but it seems to be solving everyones problems.

Saw a video link to it on here, go to youtube and youll find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 constantin3

Thanks for the replies lads. Have looked on google video and that technique of pressing your hands on either side seems to work for some people (either that or kicking it on the ground ?!)

Will give it a go either way later when I'm home...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Let us know if that actually works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 edmunds

I saw a guy on youtube fix his Xbox 360 by giving it a good hard smack on the right hand side..

the light changed from red to green straight away!

I suppose you could void your warranty if you break something else though

• Advertisement

GStormcrow wrote:
    Let us know if that actually works?

Will do.

Can't imagine it working but we shall see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Might be a good idea to disconnect the hard drive before smacking it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I got the three red lights on my first 360. Smyths replaced it on the spot.

You can look up the cause of the red lights by following this procedure

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm

It flashes out a 4 digit code. Each time you hold the synch button the lights will flash.

As the site says:
    "All four lights flashing - 0
    One light flashing - 1
    Two Lights flashing - 2
    Three lights flashing - 3 "

Do it 4 times to get the full code then check the site to see the cause.

There are bigger lists on the web if you google for it

I called Microsoft support before I beat the crap out of my console... Apparantly its the power block? Its orange when the unit is off and turns green then the console is turned on... They are sending me out one within ten working days.

Am gonna go down to my brother-in-law tomorrow with my console and see if it turns on and works before getting my hopes up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is nobody else laughin at the thread title, no? i saw it on the homepage below a post on Personal Issues and thought this was on PI aswell! when i saw it was on the XBOX forum i figured he was talkin about the wrong box! hehe

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote:
    is nobody else laughin at the thread title, no? i saw it on the homepage below a post on Personal Issues and thought this was on PI aswell! when i saw it was on the XBOX forum i figured he was talkin about the wrong box! hehe

Hehe, I am laughin now...

Advertisement