Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signals - Lifesons peak?

• 15-01-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

With the new release in the pipeline, which apparently is a return to their bombastic best, Hurray! http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2007/17_02/gamut.shtml
    I've been listening to Signals a lot as its the only Rush album I have on my mp3 player, have to convert all that vinyl, and stone me but Alex's playing is completely mind blowing perhaps his best. The solos on the Analogue Kid, Chemistry, Digital man and The Weapon are incredible each one a masterclass. This is on the 1997 remastered version, I did have the original on tape and it sounded like pants, with the guitars totally muffled, no wonder that sacked Terry Brown after it. This album was rightly seen as the beginning of the synth period but the guitars on the remaster are right up in the mix and sound fantastic really crisp and bright, as well as Geddys base which is so fluid. All in all a great album, except for Countdown which is ****

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

interesting thoughts moom,
    ........is a great album alright those solos are really unreal,,,superb playin the man is a genius for sure...but have to say the solos on kid gloves between the wheels and the body electric from grace under pressure are outstanding too...and lets not forget La Villa Strangiato!...steve vai later did a version of this...but Lifesons original version pisses all over vai's ,,,mind yu with messr's peart and lee backing him up !! it was always likely to ehhehhe

looking forward to the new one ouch!!,,cant wait :)

ciao' amigo...Baggio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

I was thinking the solo on Analogue Kid is a bit Vai-ish, Chemistry is like a very short Zappa solo, which would be very unlike zappa, but from his top drawer, Digital man shows Eddie Van Halen how to run up and down a fret board and The weapon is robert fripp on acid and then to keep us on our toes - New World Man with no solo to speak of. Have to dig out Grace.. haven't listened to it in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Hmmmm...I must listen Signals again, it's been a while. And I don't have it ripped on the work pc either :(

For me, well it'll always be the solo in 'Limelight' that does it, I just think it's brilliant, especially when the other guitar comes in at the end of it.

A return to their bombastic best..sounds great, just hope they tour on this side of the Atlantic (I won't mind going to London for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

This is why Rush are number one for me. With such a large body of work some is always going to be spoken about more than others, but when you actually do focus on some of the lesser loved work, there is so much to love and discuss.

The solo on Analog Kid for example as you say is utterly brilliant and yet nobody would ever really think to mention it because Rush have so much amazing **** to talk about that it wouldn't even occur to you.

Just listening to Signals on your prompting and for me I have to say that this is Geddy's album. Basstastic, particularly on Subdivisions and the aforementioned Analog Kid which is playing now. Love the way himself and Peart complement that solo.

Can't wait for the new stuff. If they play London I'll definitely be there. I'll get a loan if I have to. We should have a forum piss up before hand or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't have Signals. Must remember to aquire it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I'm listening to it right now....jesus it's f**kin' good! :D :eek: :D

The bass on 'Digital Man' is something else...

And And! And...'Countdown' rocks as well :p

Advertisement