Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Comic Bookshelf

Options
  • 15-01-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've been looking at my bookshelf and thinking of replacing some of those single issues with their trade equivalent so it will take up less space... But it's also made me think what are the very best comics/graphic novels that every comic fanboy should have on his shelf. The ULTIMATE books, the best of the best. Think carefully before you recommend something and I dunno might have others vote on it before it goes on what I will call the official list. Of course being the progenitor of all this I get to add one first without any objections. :D

So here's the first few titles for the Ultimate Comic Bookshelf;

100 Bullets
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Sandman

Let voting commence on titles to join them, heh and yeah I know there's no Alan Moore there yet because so far I've yet to be truly impressed by him, but you know go ahead and convince me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

100 Bullets
    The Ultimates
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman Year One
    Sandman
    Watchmen
    V For Vendetta
    Red Son
    Marvel Zombies
    Ultimate Galactus Trilogy
    Transmetropolitan
    Y The Last Man
    Nextwave

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd argue that you can't have Dark Knight Returns on the list without having Watchmen on there, to be honest. Transmetropolitan also deserves a slot, and something by Garth Ennis would probably get space too (though of all his stuff I've read, only True Faith ever stood out as a genuinely strong piece of writing - most other stuff of his feels like either variations on a theme or "oh look how funny I am, except I'm not because it's the same bloody jokes as you've already read in my other books").

Also, for the purposes of being difficult and throwing some non-fanboy/vaguely less mainstream stuff into the suggestions :

Maus
    Jimmy Corrigan, The Smartest Kid On Earth
    Summer Blonde (Adrian Tomine)
    Ghost World/David Boring/Eight-Ball (not decided on which, but certainly something by Clowes)
    Calvin & Hobbes
    Far Side
    something by Chester Brown (I've only read The Playboy and a few issues of Yummy Fur, so can't say for definite)
    Some Jack Kirby stuff, perhaps the collected Fourth World stories
    Something by Will Eisner
    The Hollow Grounds
    Jim Goodring's Frank
    Some form of collected Little Nemo In Slumberland
    Some Krazy Kat

New Gods
    Preacher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hey fysh you beat me to listing the non-fanboy books.......damn you!!! lol

Want to add Charles Burns Black Hole to that list.

Something by Gary Panter - would say Jimbo in purgatory but its a pain in the ass sized book and wouldn't fit on "the ultimate comic bookshelf"

something by David Sandlin

Jessica Abel, Lea harnadez, Sue Coe or Raina Telgemeier to rock the female creators side of things. [sue coe's dead meat being a personal fav]

some good anthologies wouldn't hurt either - any issue of flight, the top shelf anthology or the SPX anthology. Out of picture or afterworks are also good anthologies to have but they are animation related so I'm biased.

Would also add something by joe staco to go with Mause or the collected world war three illustrated book [so you can cover peter kuper, seth tobocman, sue coe, and eric dooker in one book] or try Wobblies: A Graphic History of the IWW which features alot of the same artists.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm very fond of the Drawn & Quarterly anthologies for that matter, and I'd definitely suggest Flight volume 2 or 3 (volume 1 was good, but blown out of the water by the quality of volume 2, I thought).

Mister X is another one deserving shelf space. Sin City : The Hard Goodbye probably wouldn't be out of place either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I second the Daniel Clowes recommendation. David Boring is probably my favourite.

There should also be at least one Love & Rockets novel on there too.

Do you know, I've never read any Love and Rockets? Keep hearing the name but it's never in my local shop (or on my mind when I go shopping online...)

Any suggestions for a starter volume to try (other than the first one, that is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Fysh wrote:
    Any suggestions for a starter volume to try (other than the first one, that is)?
    To be honest the first one probably is a good place to start. Although Music for Mechanics is very different to the other books in that it takes place in more of a science fiction universe, while later books take place in something more closely resembling the real world.

But Love and Rockets is all about the characters and Music for Mechanics is a great introduction to Maggie and Hopey.

Fysh wrote:

i agree with monkeyfudge, volume one is the best place to start and then you can jump around. i don't have my copies in front me right now so off the top of my head i can't remeber which stories are in which volume but home school is great but isnt a straight up love and rockets story so it helps to have read some earlier issues first. You can pick most of them via the fantagraphics website.

and i will cheap plug my friend williams website a talented cartoonists, he is a huge love and rockets fan and it reflects in his current style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

dude you need some Astonishing X-men as well

and Serenity:Those Left Behind

Damnit i AM a Whedon fanboy after all..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Ok a lot of suggestions there very quickly so for your consideration, and let's say 5 yays gets it on the shelf:

Maus
    Love and Rockets
    Watchmen
    Transmetropolitan
    The Spirit
    Squee!

Ok I added the last two as I consider them oversights of my 'it was my idea first picks' priviliges. Fysh, I think you're first post is just pandering to my favourites so I'm trying to be fair and only throwing on Eisner for starters (I'd happily add Calvin and Hobbes, Little Nemo and Krazy Kat without further discussion but I'll be a good boy). These 6 are your choices for the moment start justifying their position.

there should be a beano annual on this shelf if its the "ultimate" shelf

1987 beano annual is superior to all. And the 1988 Dandy annual. 1990 Whizzer and chips.

i'll be the girl that i am and say the 1989 bunty annual

I want me a Judge Dredd annual in there somewhere - only one I can remember was the one with the left hand serial killer storyline, so I nominate that.

On a vaguely more serious note, does this hypothetical shelf extend enough to incorporate a manga section?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Yup there will be manga, but you're all thinking too easily. It's not going to get there by nominating, you have to justify why it's there. Ok I threw in Dark kinght and Sandman because they were inevitable and 'changed the industry yadda, yadda, yadda...' but 100 Bullets is there for being the perfect mix of art and story, a good solid story that folds over itself and develops and respects it's readers. Risso is also one of the best artists in the business and a few minutes loking at what he does to tell a story should really make any other artists insanely jealous. (Come to think of it we might need some Darwyn Cooke on there.)

So anyway what I'm saying, tell us why you love it. Oh and yeah the Beano will probably go on, it pretty much formed my view of comic art and I loved them Bash Street Kids lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

was raised on Dan Dare myself - so at least one would have to be there.

aside from some already mentioned add;
    some enki bilal - cause it's lovely to look at.
    swamp thing.
    hell blazer.
    we 3.
    Nextwave (know it's been said but it's worth saying again :p )
    invisibles.
    arkham asylum.
    the wolves in the walls or the day I swapped my dad for two goldfish (for the kiddies - a good host has these things)
    the mystery play

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ztoical wrote:
    i'll be the girl that i am and say the 1989 bunty annual
    oh no, the 1990 one was much better, i think it's probably still in the attic

there'll also have to be some extremely nerdy book ends for these comics to stand between

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

Tree wrote:
    there'll also have to be some extremely nerdy book ends for these comics to stand between

thats not a nice thing to call fysh and shades

*boom tish*

Tree wrote:

i give you the jay and silent bob bookends or for the equally nerdy spy vs spy bookends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Ehh a bit of Morrison please !
    You would also need at least one sin city book (A Dame to kill for )
    The new Xmen ( The Huge Hardback version )
    Marc Silvestris complete work on wolverine
    The Filth
    All The Invisibles
    V for Venedetta
    Dark Knight Returns and Strikes Again
    Al Moore What ever happened to the man of tomorow
    The death of superman
    Doom Patrol
    Frank Millers Ronin
    Full Apocalypse Saga
    That Alan Moore dc stories collection with all the cool green lantern stories
    The First Swamp Thing Book by Moore
    300 Days of knight
    The Preacher
    Frank Millers Wolverine
    Batman Year One
    Wolverine The end

the filth is excellent so ill overlook "The" Preacher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Woops also see ''300 days of night '' ? Must read over posts before submiting them !

I have to say I really disagree with Preacher. It's not bad by any measure, but on the other hand I don't think it compares favourably to Transmetropolitan, Sandman or Sin City either visually or in terms of the characters and stories it tells. (A large part of this is reading the story's fixation with the "myth" of america - as a non-american - and then realising, with some disgust, that the guy writing it is from Belfast and, from the look of his other writings, far too cynical to actually believe such nonsense unless he's just peddling stuff he knows will sell. In which case, fine, but not something that deserves any special consideration).

I'm also going to risk fanboy wrath and say that Dark Knight Strikes Back, and a lot of the secondary superhero stuff being mentioned, really really aren't that good. If we're talking the ultimate shelf here, it's going to take more than "snikt" to qualify for entrance. The Death Of Superman really really doesn't make it, for my money. I'm not a superman fan, but I'd accept something like Stephen Seagle's "It's a Bird". The Death Of Superman (and the even worse The Return Of Superman) was mediocre at best.

Onto Morrisson, while I think of it. I've not read all of the Invisibles so I can't comment on that, but I'm undecided about his standing on the Ultimate Shelf - perhaps some of the shorter stuff (WE3, Seaguy or maybe Animal Man) but what I've seen of the Invisibles so far strikes me as having a bit too much "weird for the sake of weird" "reality is greater than you can perceive" stuff in it without justifying it. The Filth suffered from this too. (That said, the Invisibles may yet get away with it, I've 3 volumes left to read).

So, now to defending my choices:

Transmetropolitan - cogent and well-developed writing, a convincingly realistic yet inmensely interesting futuristic world setting, and absolutely breathtaking visuals. A landmark in longform sci-fi comics.

Watchmen - pretty much a ruler by which to measure all your superhero comics; what the colouring lacks by todays standards, the intricate design and layout work more than compensates for. Every character is an actual character, with a past, a future, ambitions and fears explored intimately. A strong storyline tackling the central ideas that superhero and vigilante comics raise just by having their central characters exist, and some interesting approaches to the writing (the "Symmetry" issue, the various recurring visual themes, the "story-within-a-story", the interlacing lives of various secondary characters who take on more importance than mere background noise). It's not about superheroes; it's about the idea of superheroes, and it's the most in-depth, cogent and engrossing deconstruction and examination of the idea I've ever read.

Not too sure about Squee, thinking about it now. There's a bunch of gothy alternocomics in that vein (Bear, JTHM, I Feel Sick, Kreeky Hollow, Spaztic Colon, Lenore, in fact almost anything published by SLG) but I'm not sure enough of the timelines or the relative quality of any of them to genuinely say they deserve space on The Shelf. (Personally of the lot I'd go for JTHM but I don't feel it's quite there...almost, but not quite)

Right, that's enough of putting the cat amongst the pigeons for now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

cant believe no body but be has mentioned any whedon stuff..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

watchmen
    V for vendetta
    ye all know the story with the above 2 entries :D

Superman: Birthright
    Yes it's yet another re-telling of the origin of superman, but it's done so well.

Grant Morrisons New X-men run.
    One of those series that really pays off at the end and makes you want to go back and read from the beginning.

Spiderman : The Other
    I feel I should add a disclaimer at this point, this was a tad hit and miss..but more hits than misses, it added a new dimension to a long standing character, the low point for me would be Pat Lees lazy artwork..but thems the breaks.
    high point:
    the coma dream of young Peter Parker sitting on his bed holding up his design of the Spiderman costume to the 'Spider God'

Transmetropoliton: not a dissappointing page in the book.

Preacher, yeah this got slow in parts but still stands up well for me. I may be mis-understanding Fysh here, but I don't think the fact that Ennis is not from the States should take away from anyones enjoyment of Preacher. You don't have to be in love to write a love song, you don't have to be sad to write a sad song and you don't have to believe in god to write a story in which he exists...but I guess Preacher does have the americana turned up to 11.
    In the end it makes my list because its an epic sweeping story that contains many "colourful characters" (i.e interesting deviants) and takes in some well worn subjects that literary characters have always had thrust upon them: love, death ,God, betrayal..Bill Hicks...all that good stuff ...and did a great job of bringing them to into the story and really giving the characters depth.

Kingdom Come:

Surprised that no one mentioned this before (or maybe I missed it)
    Fantastic artwork from Alex Ross and answers the question where do old superheros go?

Batman: Dark Knight Returns

Was nearly gonna add Supreme Power to my list , the first two books are fantastic..but the series has since developed into an exercise in waiting for something to happen.

Perhapas Rising Stars

cant believe no body but be has mentioned any whedon stuff..............

I've ever season of buffy on dvd if that helps :D

....and angel and firefly and serenity and titan AE and alien resurection.........and the orginal buffy movie......dear god i even have the veronica mars ep he was in......will i see wonder woman when it comes out? why lie of course i will ahhhhhh but only when i buy box sets of Roseanne am i offically sad

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

There's really no such thing as the Ultimate comics bookshelf. If you like something put it on ... one man's meat etc...

Comics can be a bit like wine - individual taste etc...

What I'd like on mine is the work of:
    Lee & Kirby
    Lee & Ditko
    Englehart & Rogers
    Thomas and Adams
    Frank Miller (before he went insane!)
    Alan Moore
    Claremont & Byrne
    Bendis & Maleev
    Mark Millar and Co

and a shedload more...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

watchmen
    V for vendetta
    ye all know the story with the above 2 entries :D

Superman: Birthright
    Yes it's yet another re-telling of the origin of superman, but it's done so well.

Grant Morrisons New X-men run.
    One of those series that really pays off at the end and makes you want to go back and read from the beginning.

Spiderman : The Other
    I feel I should add a disclaimer at this point, this was a tad hit and miss..but more hits than misses, it added a new dimension to a long standing character, the low point for me would be Pat Lees lazy artwork..but thems the breaks.
    high point:
    the coma dream of young Peter Parker sitting on his bed holding up his design of the Spiderman costume to the 'Spider God'

Transmetropoliton: not a dissappointing page in the book.

Preacher, yeah this got slow in parts but still stands up well for me. I may be mis-understanding Fysh here, but I don't think the fact that Ennis is not from the States should take away from anyones enjoyment of Preacher. You don't have to be in love to write a love song, you don't have to be sad to write a sad song and you don't have to believe in god to write a story in which he exists...but I guess Preacher does have the americana turned up to 11.
    In the end it makes my list because its an epic sweeping story that contains many "colourful characters" (i.e interesting deviants) and takes in some well worn subjects that literary characters have always had thrust upon them: love, death ,God, betrayal..Bill Hicks...all that good stuff ...and did a great job of bringing them to into the story and really giving the characters depth.

Kingdom Come:

Surprised that no one mentioned this before (or maybe I missed it)
    Fantastic artwork from Alex Ross and answers the question where do old superheros go?

Batman: Dark Knight Returns

Was nearly gonna add Supreme Power to my list , the first two books are fantastic..but the series has since developed into an exercise in waiting for something to happen.

Perhapas Rising Stars

yay someone else who liked the Other!! Besides some lazy artwork i think Hudlin's few scripts were not up to scratch and I also felt PAD was constrained by it all.

Have to say I really have liked JMS's run on Spidey to date. he's been controvertial but at least Spidey's always a fascinating read. His War at Home arc around Civil War is his best yet. Great relationship building with Tony S and how it comes apart! Brilliant. And he's also regenerated Aunt May into a compelling character.

• Advertisement

shades now you want reasons for the picks?

ok Spielgleman's Maus, do i honestly need to give a reason for this? anyone who questions Maus needs to be spanked and removed from this forum o comics.

Gary Panter, the father of post underground new wave comics goes on this shelf. Either one of his Jimbo books or some issues of RAW. Why? for one Gary was one of the artists from the Masters of American Comics exhibition along with Eisner, kirby, Kurtzman, Crumb and Ware, good company to be keeping for sure.

Charles Burns, good friend of Panters and also a strong force in the post crumb underground scene. Black Hole, Harvey Award winning graphic novel, i would rather have the 12 issues but as this list was started with the intent to replace single issues with collected editions then get the hardcover collected edition.

Sue Coe's Dead Meat, cus you need some kick as female artists on this shelf and no one kicks as like Sue Coe.

World War 3 Illustrated 1980-1988 cus you need some politics up in here. Put WW3I in and you've covered artists like Sue Coe, Spielgeman, Eric Drooker, and of course Seth Tobocman and Peter Kuper. Yes I admitt i use to work for WW3I so I'm a little bit biased with this choice.

Wobblies: A graphic History of the IWW features a number of artists from World War 3 illustrated as well so either this or WW3I is good.

Fun Home A family tragicomic Alison Bechdel - not out that long and already makeing a big impression.

Katherine Arnoldi The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom cus you need some comics that aren't all about spandax, guns and big tits, you need a comic that has made an actual real difference in peoples lives. Arnoldi tells her own story in this comic about being a single teenage mom and now travels america, visting schools and using this comic to talk to young girls going through the same issues.

Phoenix Osamu Tezuka, cus hmmmm, he's the father of modern manga and anime?

Incal written by Alejandro Jodorowsky and illustrated by Moebius, nuff said.

Actually anything by Moebius.

Stripburger - raw, ugly dirty amazing eastern european comics.

im tired now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement