Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

re: Ed Joyce and the World Cup

• 15-01-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Question from a cricket Noob

Though Ed Joyce plays ODI games for England is he still elidgable to play for Ireland in the world cup?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm almost 100% certain he's not. If he had played for Ireland in an official ODI he wouldn't have been eligible to play for England. No switching of countries as was allowed in Rugby.

I don't think we'll be seeing Ed Joyce wearing an England jersey any time soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

I'm almost 100% certain he's not. If he had played for Ireland in an official ODI he wouldn't have been eligible to play for England. No switching of countries as was allowed in Rugby.

I don't think we'll be seeing Ed Joyce wearing an England jersey any time soon though.
    From bbc Sport today

"Ed Joyce is set to play in the England middle order for the first time after Kevin Pietersen was ruled out with a fractured rib. "

From bbc Sport today

"Ed Joyce is set to play in the England middle order for the first time after Kevin Pietersen was ruled out with a fractured rib. "

Well he'd actually want to get some runs this time, can't see him being given too many more chances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Well he'd actually want to get some runs this time, can't see him being given too many more chances.

Subtly different from your first comment... :D

Ed served his residency and qualified as an England player. AFAIK he can return to play for Ireland when 5 years from his last England cap have elapsed.

I hope he goes on to play many ODIs and tests for England, tests especially. He's a class cricketer who deserves his chance to show his skills at the highest level.

I'd love to see Joyce do well, and to become a regular in the England team... I just think he's going to have to register a score soon or his chance will have passed him by. 3 ODI's with a highest score of 13 and a 20-20 international where he scored 1. I don't think the selectors are going to show as much patience with him as they have with players like Bell and Flintoff when he started playing.

He's just gone in now after Strauss has gone. Hopefully he'll show everyone what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

another bad days batting for ed,run out for 5 runs.at least england won (at last) by 3 wickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

I haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen of Joyce on this tour, has batted very poorly, was only averaging 12 before the series started and his fielding certainly leaves an awful lot to be desired, must have one of the weakest arms in international cricket but he looks set to continue in the team now that it looks like Vaughan will at least miss the game at the Gabba on Friday, needs to take his chance this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

i think he's been very unlucky, he's much more suited to test cricket, wasn't given a chance there in a poorly performing english side, is then put in to open in a 20/20 which isn't where his strengths lie, he'll probably have to open now with vaughan out whereas he'd be better playing at 3 or 4. he should've been put in for the last test and i think he would have shown what a class act he is. i really hope he gets a good score in the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Tweeter

Ed Joyce England Interantional career RIP
    5 one day games with scores 10,13,8,5 and 5. I'd like to see him being given one more chance but I think it's now unlikely. The best he can hope for is to get a **** load of runs when the county championship starts in April and hope the England team continue their miserable form. He may just get another chance then, fingers crossed but it's a bit of a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I feel very sorry for him right now.

I don't think he'll get another game after this, his chances of being at the WC have gone down the WC. And as you said Tweeter, he'd have to score a zillion runs in the CC next summer to be even considered for the test squad.

We know the short-form isnt his forte, but he's been asked to perform where others have failed against an Aussie team with their tails up and a demoralised England team. For his international career to be jettisoned at this stage when the likes of Harmison could waltz back in, is sad.

I'd like for him to have one more go at NZ before we can firmly say his chance has gone (for the short-medium term at least), but I don't think he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I'm gutted for the lad - really wanted him to do well. If you look at how Loye stepped up (I know he's a different kind of player) he showed the right mental stuff. Joyce has had a bit of a mare with fielding also so no redemption I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Well he's hitting a few at the moment in the 6th match.

29 runs from 43 balls, including 5 fours.

Well done.

out for 47, what a shame:( . hopefully with loye out for 8 and the highest score for england he'll get another go. i had fancied the kiwis to be an outside bet for the world cup but i'm not so sure now though they did have a fairly comprehensive win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Delighted he did well last night. England were miserable but at least Joyce had a go. I've been reading some of the UK cricket forums and they are generally quite forgiving of good county players who have a couple of bad opening International games citing some big names who had poor initial records but went on to have huge international careers.

Joyce will definitely get another go now. Last night surely must have been his very last chance and he took it. 47 not an amazing score, but the top score of the innings by a long way. Needs to get some more runs now to cement his place in future england squads.

Deligheted for Ed, really didn't think he get another go. He will definitely be picked for the next match now. Really hope he puts together another top scoring knock

Very happy with his innings, took his last chance, took it. His last shot wasn't the best, but at least he had time at the crease, and could hit the ball when required. He was helped as being the only real shine in a game of pure rubbish from England.

That knock should be enough to seal his World Cup spot. He might need another against New Zealand to make completely sure. If he can hit a 50 against the Aussies, he'll be fine.

Wearing my Black Cap and Beige shirt..... delighted to see Vettori back in the wickets. :) Goe Dan!

The collywobbles have now passed to... Collingwood :D Collingwood's only grace is his fielding and occasional bowling. One big 200 and nothing since.

Not so good today, 11 runs from 25 balls which included 2 fours.

Shocking display be England today.

England 110 (34.3 ov)
    Australia 111/1 (24.3 ov)
    Australia won by 9 wickets (with 153 balls remaining)

Unreal. As the song that accompanies Flintoff to the crease goes, "I went down, down, down/and the flames get higher..."

Joyce 11, Collingwood 3 today...

Just to compare for the whole series

Game 1: Joyce n/a - Collingwood 43
    Game 3: Joyce 5 - Collingwood 10
    Game 4: Joyce 5 - Collingwood 0
    Game 6: Joyce 47 - Collingwood 10
    Game 7: Joyce 11 - Collingwood 3

68 v 66, Joyce playing one match less.

Another man to watch is Malachy Loye (of Irish parentage, iirc) Impressive shot to hit the roof of the tent-ish looking stand in Adelaide... but like the others, didn't get going.... 36, 8 and 9 so far this series... I'd be less forgiving if they weren't in Australia.

Meanwhile, the Black Caps lost to Australia.... again..... but they in no way capitulated like England did. They played 50 overs, only lost by 8 runs, and asked serious questions of the Aussie attack once Oram got at them.

• Advertisement

Well done Ed, 50 and still in.

New Zealand 318/7 (50 ov)
    England 100/2 (19.2 ov)
    England require another 219 runs with 8 wickets and 30.4 overs remaining

50 in 60 balls.... well done Ed. :)

Bah.

Joyce run out 66

Didnt ground his bat. :(
    136/4... Not looking good for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

It's good to see Ed doing well. I doubt that England will get there, but it shouldn't reflect badly on a good performance from him.

Edit: and as I post that he gets run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Still, it's been a well received innings.
    27.3 Vettori to Joyce, OUT, GONE! Attempted quick single, but Lou Vincent, at mid-on, picks up one-handed and under-arms at the non-striker's end! Brilliant fielding, and that's the end of a very good innings
    EC Joyce run out 66 (82b 7x4 0x6) SR: 80.48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

DMC wrote:
    Didnt ground his bat. :(
    Didn't ground his bat? He was at full strectch with his bat grounded ... it was just six inches short!

Maybe a dive would have got him in.

It is a shame because he was looking very good. The guys on sky sports were talking about the last "English" man to score a ODI hundred. I was hoping Ed would get one so that I could send them an email telling them that he is in fact Irish...

eng 157-5

require 162 from 96 ball

The guys on ABC Radio were saying he didnt run the bat in. Regardless, he's out.

I note for the last few ODI's, that Sky have dispensed with the wisdom served up from London by Messrs Knight, Greatbatch, Harvey and Colville. They've got Gower and co in Oz to top and tail the highlights.

I suppose there is only so many ways Nick Knight can whinge! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

randomer wrote:
    The guys on sky sports were talking about the last "English" man to score a ODI hundred. I was hoping Ed would get one so that I could send them an email telling them that he is in fact Irish...

If Kevin Pietersen had scored he would also have been 'English' cos he plays for England not South Africa, same holds true for Joyce I'm afraid. Still look on the bright side he could yet be part of the World Cup team (as opposed to squad) if he keeps top scoring! :D

Mike.

Andrew Strauss, Gerraint Jones, Nasser Hussain, Allan Lamb... ack, the list phoney Poms is endless :)

Don't forget to tell Andrew Symonds where he was born too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

mike65 wrote:
    If Kevin Pietersen had scored he would also have been 'English' cos he plays for England not South Africa, same holds true for Joyce I'm afraid. Still look on the bright side he could yet be part of the World Cup team (as opposed to squad) if he keeps top scoring! :D

Mike.

Ed certainly doesn't consider himself to be English. He represents the England cricket team, but is extremely proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Bobo148

randomer wrote:
    Ed certainly doesn't consider himself to be English. He represents the England cricket team, but is extremely proud to be Irish.

At this stage Ed is as English as Dave Langford-Smith, Jeremy Bray, Andre Botha, Trent Johnston et al are Irish.

Best of luck to him anyway. How ironic would it be if he didn't get picked to play in any of the World Cup games, while the Irish boys are slaving away without him.......

Joyce just dropped on 6 by Tait. Nice

He got 101 more, tho :D

EC Joyce c Bracken b Tait 107 (142 balls)

Brillant innings too :)

England 292/7 (50 ov)
    Australia 26/2 (6.1 ov)

Plunkett bowling Gilchrist 1st ball of the innings, Mahmood getting Hodge next over.

• Advertisement

Well done ed, some great hitting.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Well done ed, some great hitting.
    seconded,

aussies currently 56-3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

114-3 now.

starting to accelerate.

RuggieBear wrote:
    114-3 now.

starting to accelerate.
    england need to break this partnership quick

edit/england get that wicket,on cue i might add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bang!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

symmons of injured

hussey gone

137-5

Marvin the Paranoid Android's feeling depressed? I'm feeling very depressed with the amount of Sky Movies Sci-Fi ads they are showing in the ad breaks!

Flintoff gets White.

160/6 (effectively 7, Symonds wont bat, apparently)

The hutch is open! When was the last time McGrath batted in an ODI?

160-6

That ad is on again! FFS!

163/6, need 130 off 19 overs.

180/7 (or 8!)

Bracken b Panesar 21

go on monty

180-7

delighted for ed, maybe now england will realise what they were missing during the ashes and he'll get a test chance next summer. he'll definitely be at the world cup too. fair play to him when the crunch was on he came up trumps.

Absolutely deligheted for Ed. That knock takes his ODI batting average to 34. Anything above 60 against New Zealand will take his average above 40. Excellent stuff considering his poor start and us all wondering if he'd be given another chance. He'll now have aspirations of not only being included in the world cup squad, but opening the batting too

• Advertisement
Advertisement