Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Q about reinstalling XP Pro...

• 15-01-2007 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with my PC and I think maybe the best solution is to do a clean install.

Ive reinstalled windows before (ME on my old PC) but on my new PC I have two hard drives, a 74GB Raptor for windows and a 320GB Seagate for storage.

I know if I reinstall windows on the raptor it'll wipe it but I was wondering what'll happen to data on the Seagate? I have some DVDs/MP3s/Games etc on it and I dont want to loose it if possible.

Cheers
    Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

As Long as the Raptor is set up as the primary drive, (I.e. Drive 0) then it shouldn't affect the Seagate, just the Drive you're installing Windows onto,

Hint*** in XP Pro, Right Click My Docs> Properties>, and set the target to a Folder on your Seagate, it will prompt you to copy all files to the new location, Click yes. That way when you format and reinstall the C Drive you won't lose any Documents.

If you still are worried about it... Just remove the Seagate while reinstalling, and then put it back in when done.

If you've gone through the Fiasco of an Me re-installation and survived with your sanity intact, it should be a doddle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

McAlban wrote:
    As Long as the Raptor is set up as the primary drive, (I.e. Drive 0) then it shouldn't affect the Seagate, just the Drive you're installing Windows onto,

Hint*** in XP Pro, Right Click My Docs> Properties>, and set the target to a Folder on your Seagate, it will prompt you to copy all files to the new location, Click yes. That way when you format and reinstall the C Drive you won't lose any Documents.

If you still are worried about it... Just remove the Seagate while reinstalling, and then put it back in when done.

Cheers McAlban. Thanks for the quick response. I'll give that tip a go. Most of stuff I want to keep is on the seagate anyway but I may well safe as much stuff as I can.
    McAlban wrote:
    If you've gone through the Fiasco of an Me re-installation and survived with your sanity intact, it should be a doddle!

Three times actually... And tbh, Ive never been the same since! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Wait.
    You need to go into Disk Managment and check out that Seagate.
    Make sure it's Basic and not Extended.
    If it's a Extended partition then the partition table exists on the other drive and once you reformat that, then you loose the partition on the SeaGate!

Advertisement