Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200

Options
  • 15-01-2007 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

a post by daymobrew in another thread reminded me that I meant to post this.

Is anyone planning on doing the Wicklow 200 this year?
    I'm hoping to do it.

Has anyone started training yet? I only took up road biking last summer, so it's all new enough to me. It would be nice to know if there are any other rookies out there.

I had done a fair bit of training during autumn of last year, but then I got knocked down in November and haven't been on the bike since (combination of injury, other commitments, holidays and Christmas delayed me in getting the bike fixed). I should be getting it back either this week or next.

Has anyone done it before?

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

King Raam wrote:
    Is anyone planning on doing the Wicklow 200 this year?
    I'm hoping to do it.

I haven't decided yet myself. Like you I haven't done it before. On the plus side it would be a nice challenge, I haven't done a ride that long and difficult before. On the minus side 1500 cyclists sounds like a lot, I'm used to cycling on my own, I don't know if I'd enjoy that big a crowd. I'm also not sure if I want to fork out E50 for the privilige of cycling on public roads. Last year's ride included a section that I normally avoid (Dub <-> Enniskerry), too much (heavy) traffic for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

Yes, I'm doing it.
    Did it lasy year and only started training on March 17th weekend for it. Previous to this I did in twice in 83 and 84 I think. Haven't been cycling much since the 80's, but doing a bit of running (jogging) in the mean time.
    Did the Mt. Leinster Challenge in May and then joined the local cycling club to get a few club runs to re acquaint myself with group riding.
    Did the 200 ok in 8:30 odd. Enjoyed the craic immensely.
    Training..........just keep relatively fit and you'll do it.
    Get over Sally Gap and Lug a few times in training, went up Wicklow Gap a couple of times aswell before the event. Try Devils Glen, places like this to burst a gut and you should cruise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Tales Of Topogr

Don't think you'll be cycling around with a big crowd. I got into a group (Two English, a Dane and a Belfast lad) just after Sally Gap and we stayed together till almost the end. it worked out perfectly, taking turns and getting around quick enough. The English and Danish lads were training for L'etape.
    There are no crowds as you can start whenever you like, or you can slip in with a few lads. Some people do it on their own.
    .........but it makes life alot easier if you get into a small bunch obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Membrane wrote:
    On the minus side 1500 cyclists sounds like a lot, I'm used to cycling on my own, I don't know if I'd enjoy that big a crowd. I'm also not sure if I want to fork out E50 for the privilige of cycling on public roads. Last year's ride included a section that I normally avoid (Dub <-> Enniskerry), too much (heavy) traffic for my liking.
    I did the 100km 'Wicklow Challenge' last year because I was intimidated by the description of the hills in the 200km. The 100km was quite easy (daily cycling to work and some hill training helped a lot). I'll do the 200km this year.

My plan is to start as early as possible. For the UCD to Enniskerry stretch I was in the middle of a massive group, only going 13mph. I wasn't very comfortable as I too am used to cycling alone. Once the 100 and 200 rides split, right after Enniskerry, I picked up the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Did it the last 2 years. In 05, I started training in mid april. 30k spins initially building to 50. Did the 100k tour of tipp (shortened to 60k that year because of weather) and found it much easier in a group. Joined my local club and went on sunday spins. Easy riding mostly around the 85k mark. By end of May I built to a solo 160k ride with a couple of big hills. A week later I did the wicklow. It was tough but not overly bad, easier than the 160 solo ride, mostly I was not in groups, I was solo in parts or riding along behind one or two riders in parts (if you can get behind a rider it makes it a lot easier). 2 weeks later I did the ring of kerry. My fitness was not great to begin with though, lifted a few weights and played the odd 5 aside. So yes, you are starting in plenty of time if you are starting now, but keep the faith because its hard at this time of year, windy etc.. very demoralising.

Did it in 2006 as part of my prep for the etape du tour, can definitely recomend the Mt Leinster challenge as well, truth be told, although nearly 60k shorter, I almost found it harder (damn you corbutt gap). After that I started doing 200k solo spins of which the wicklow was one every week from mid may to July to prepare for the etape, now that was hard, and despite being infinitely fitter than the previous year I performed significantly poorer.

One bit of advice is get your gearing right, get a triple or a compact. If you cant afford it get a 27 cassette, don't be a hero, have the bailout gear, you may be glad of it. If its the same route as last year there are no serious climbs, the one into enniskerry is probably the steepest, but lasts a couple of hundred metres, Sally Gap is a doddle if you take it at your own pace, as is the wicklow gap. A lot of people complained about Slieve Mann, but to be honest if you are geared correctly it is nothing to get excited about. I am no power rider but I was able to sit down and spin comfortably, granted I had been training for hills. I rode a 50/34 and a 12/25 in the etape, hardly muscle man stuff, but I was glad of it on Alpe D'Huez and indeed was sorry I was too proud to go for a 27 on the back even though I left behind many heros with big gears gasping for breath at the roadside on the climbs.

The best strategy for me anyway on these events is to ride your own race and conserve strength when you can by sitting in behind a rider or two on the flats (go for a ride or two with your local club to get a feel for it, thats what I did), if you are nervous in a bunch, sit well off the back of them on the descents, but on the climbs, and this is crucial, do your own thing. If you need to drop to 5km/hr, then do it, forget keeping up with anyone, don't even look at people who you pass, or people who pass you.

The other tip, don't try anything new on the day, have your bike set up the way you want it the month before and ride it like that, don't use new equipment or clothing on the day, such as pedals, shorts, shoes, tires, chains etc.... raise the saddle, or anything like that before the event. Don't be a spanner like me and down two energy gels I had never tried before which instantly made me sick.

If I look back at my training diary for the year, I had less than 1000km done when I did my first w200. Good luck and if you have any questions let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Quigs Snr wrote:
    One bit of advice is get your gearing right, get a triple or a compact. If you cant afford it get a 27 cassette, don't be a hero, have the bailout gear, you may be glad of it. If its the same route as last year there are no serious climbs, the one into enniskerry is probably the steepest, but lasts a couple of hundred metres, Sally Gap is a doddle if you take it at your own pace, as is the wicklow gap. A lot of people complained about Slieve Mann, but to be honest if you are geared correctly it is nothing to get excited about.

I did it last year on a triple.
    My training consisted of cycling to work everyday (25km return), then, about two months before, I started taking in a hill (300-350m ascent) on the way home about three times/week. Only one long ride of >100km, but I was more than able for the 200km, and had no probs on Maan, and felt pretty good for the last blast home from Enniskerry.

Advertisement