Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround sound speaker cable - what to use?

• 15-01-2007 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm just about finished with my refurb of the sitting room. I want to run some cables for a surround sound system before putting in the skirting boards. My question is on what type/grade I should get and a good place to get it (Southside/Kildare )

At the moment I have a cheap and cheerful surround sound system (5.1) but I plan on upgrading to a decent amp and speakers in the next couple of months. I therefore want to put in cable that will be ok for use with a better system.

I also need to decide on 5/6/7.1 though I'm leaning towards cabling for a 6.1.

Any thoughts on cable type, best layout and suppliers are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

you get what you pay for with cable and if you're willing to go €9 a metre then Nordost flatline is the way to go. It's not mad expensive and is pretty much future proof. Cloney Audio in Blackrock are the only retailers of Nordost here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I guess it depends on what you want to pay - I am putting in wiring for a 6.1 system, I am using a circular saw to rout a shallow channel for the cable on the plywood floor (over battens) before the carpet is laid. Big room so I'm only using cheaper 13-strand wire for the 3 rear channels and better 79-strand wire for the 2 fronts, centre and s.w.

I heard the rule-of-thumb is to spend approx. 10% of your overall system cost on cabling, sounds about right to me.

Bought mine in Maplins, they offer some cable at half-price if you buy the full reel.

starman100 wrote:
    I guess it depends on what you want to pay - I am putting in wiring for a 6.1 system, I am using a circular saw to rout a shallow channel for the cable on the plywood floor (over battens) before the carpet is laid. Big room so I'm only using cheaper 13-strand wire for the 3 rear channels and better 79-strand wire for the 2 fronts, centre and s.w.

I heard the rule-of-thumb is to spend approx. 10% of your overall system cost on cabling, sounds about right to me.

Bought mine in Maplins, they offer some cable at half-price if you buy the full reel.
    The only problem there is if you upgrade the rears at some stage (it happens) and you're left with low grade cable in the floor? 79 strand is cheap anyway - why worry?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I suppose I'm looking for middle of the road really and at that some guidance on what middle of the road is ;)

I will be upgrading my surround sound later on in the year to something decent but I doubt I'll be going for top of the range.

Another thing is that I'll probably not be living here for any more than a few years and don't want to go completely mad for something I'll be leaving behind.

TKK wrote:
    I suppose I'm looking for middle of the road really and at that some guidance on what middle of the road is ;)

I will be upgrading my surround sound later on in the year to something decent but I doubt I'll be going for top of the range.

Another thing is that I'll probably not be living here for any more than a few years and don't want to go completely mad for something I'll be leaving behind.

To be honest I'd regard 79 strand as a minimum (but I am a bit geeky on stuff like that :o ) but if you're moving in a few years maybe spending a minimum makes perfect sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Some recommend the amount of strands in the rear cable be double that of the fronts, I have these on the way, hooking them up the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

What sort of thickness is there in 79 strand cable?

Any idea of suppliers in Dublin west/south or Kildare?

TKK wrote:

about 2mm, twist it tight! Maplins in Blach SC or Jervis Street would be the obvious place.

TKK wrote:

about 2mm, twist it tight! I've used it with small spring clip connections before, it's tight but it will fit.
    Maplins in Blach SC or Jervis Street would be the obvious place to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

What a session I had this weekend, hooking up the 168 strand speaker cables..used 24 of the 27 metres I had. The sound is much better - watched Empire Strikes Back and The Eagles Hell Freezes Over - also the THX Optimode on Toy Story revealed all to be well. Would you believe I had a switch on the back of my receiver that knocked the front speakers down by 10 decibels! Sorted everything out and all sounds fantastic. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hi

Surround sound newbie here :D

Ive an acoustic solutions DS1233 system that was given to me for my new place.

There are no cables with it apart from a smallish cable with spliced ends with red and yellow connectors on it and a power cable.

Can you telol me what cables will i need to buy to connect the 5 speakers to the main unit? Where would i purchase them? Maplins??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Mod Comment:

Snipped.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

HiFi Keith,

You have been warned and infracted in the past for trying to use these forums for commercial purposes. This thread is well over two years old and there can be no other reason for resurrecting it other than to plug your own business/sale.

Banned for three months from the Home Entertainment Forums for using the forums again for commercial or advertising purposes.

You will recieve a PM informing you of the ban in the normal way.

This thread is now closed.

Ritz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement