Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyosung or Hyodung?

• 15-01-2007 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm thinking of trading in my 05 honda cbr 125r race replica bike for a 250 cc hyosung gt250r ( http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=6 ). I am aware they depreciate like any Korean vehicle would, but I am more concerned with reliability, I have researched it on the net and they seem to be a very up and coming manufacturer. I am aware of two dealerships in Belfast and also another bike shop in sligo that sells them, is it worth taking the risk for stg£3049, they come with a 2 year warranty, and I believe that that is an excellent package.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has bought a new hyosung motorbike recently in the last 3 years, and would appreciate any advice or comments, I like sportsbikes in particular and most of the Japanese manufactures have stopped making sportsbike replica 250cc bikes.

http://www.hyosung.co.uk/main.php

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I haven't got one but I've heard good things from all the owners. Early models had problems with getting oil up to the top of the front cyclinder. Some bikes went bang as a result although the problem seemed to be linked to wheelies. Build quality is supposed to have improved. In fairness I know of no other v-twin 250 that this compares to. I would consider buying one if the price was right and 2 year warranty sounds good. She won't be as fast as a CBR 250 or any of the sports four cyclinder 250 bikes but it will be just as fun and more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MR BIG

Thanks mate! yeah I was looking for a newer bike something like a year old hyosung as they should be cheap to buy due to the high depreciation and I would be weary of the abuse a bike could have got that was much older than a year or two, wheelies, stopies, over-revving, etc!lol!

Im not really into the speed side of things yet! im moving from a 125cc cbr so 40 mph on a bike seems like 140 mph in a car as I only have the bike 9 months and its my first bike! She will only do about 70mph on a good straight, but is extremely reliable and the fuel economy is unbelievable! I mean about €8 (full tank) and it lasts for 3 weeks, with a few hours riding most nites!lol

So a 250cc would be more the enough, for now!lol

I have seen the model I want in sligo, sat on it, day dreamed, inspected it, checked out the build quality, was extremely impressed with the size of the bike it is the largest in its class and the bike in general looked more like a nice duke in my oppion, and I understand hyosung have a partnership with honda for quailty control, and Suzuki for engine design,but would appreciate all the advice I can get on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The big problem with buying any bike (or car) with high depreciation is that although you can kid yourself you're getting a bargain when buying you'll still lose money on it when selling. That's if you can shift it at all, anything even vaguely unusual or unpopular is impossible to sell at the moment.

If you buy something with an established reputation and lower depreciation you may pay more now, but your investment won't be worthless in 2 years time. If I were you I'd look out for a good condition older bike for about the same money, CBR250s and Broses are always in demand so hold their value well. It's no coincidence either that they're both Hondas, with smaller bikes Honda are head and shoulders above all other manufacturers imho.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

can anybody help me finding a maintenance manual for the xbr500?
    having serious trouble finding one .
    all help really appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

I got a gt650r in Nov 05 from bikeworld, only ever had 2 problems with it, the clutch cable snapped (hyosung have reworked the clutch cabel for the 07 model, its twice as think now) and the side stand switch went (repalced under warranty)

It ran perfectly but you may want to put on a new set off rubbers, mine came with standard bridgestone and a replaced with pilots, it made the world off difference, also the brakes can be upgraded as well.

The only reason I got rid off it was that it blew over in a gale and I was offered a good deal as trade in against a f650

Check out korider.com, its a message board for hyo riders.

PS it looks best in yellow

• Advertisement

It ran perfectly but you may want to put on a new set off rubbers, mine came with standard bridgestone and a replaced with pilots, it made the world off difference, also the brakes can be upgraded as well.

The only reason I got rid off it was that it blew over in a gale and I was offered a good deal as trade in against a f650

PS it looks best in yellow[/QUOTE]

Thanks mate! I had a feeling there would be a few wee niggley wee problems with them but still not enough to put me off, so will probably trade the honda CBR 125R in against one in a month or two, the bike I have is mint but just to small as I am 6ft and about 15 stone!lol ,hyosung are improving all the time, and I think theres a new version of the bike I want coming out in march, will probably trade her in, up in belfast as they seem to be alot more expensive down here in the republic, another case of rip of republic, and the vrt only goes by the cc so its a 250 cc i want so shouldn't be to bad on the ould pocket!

fupduck wrote:
    having serious trouble finding one .
    all help really appreciated

Have you tryed WWW.AMAZON.COM? Halfords are also stock some excelent motorbike manuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,444 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fupduck wrote:
    having serious trouble finding one . all help really appreciated thanks:)

You're much better off starting a new thread if you have a new topic to discuss - some moderators don't look kindly on thread 'hijacking' :eek: but more important, more people will get to read about your problem (maybe the person with the answer has zero interest in Hyosung threads so isn't reading this?)

Anyway, sooner or later whatever you want will turn up on Ebay, no matter what it is...
    I believe the GB500 was a retro styled version of the same bike, mechanically identical. Also, try to find out if it was sold under a different name in the US, as a lot of bikes were. Google for an owner's club, very handy for advice, sources of parts etc.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GTRay

i have had my hyo for just over a year now i have the gt125r it is amazing i love it too bits just check th ukhyo owners club for full details about us then make your informed desicion im sure you will become a proud hyo owner like ourselves

http://ukhyo-ownersclub.co.uk

GTRay
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sweet Zombie Hyosung !!
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The only way you ever make your money back on a hyosung is if someone in a cage totals the bike. :p

Advertisement