Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Society X

• 15-01-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_Society_X
    This was discusses on this forum before and alot of people had reservations about MTV producing a wrestling show. My bigest concern is that a wrestling show in this format may not work, that is half hour taped series of shows with no PPVs. What I think is most intersting about this is that
    Wrestling Society X on MTV will compete directly with the second half of ECW, which airs one-hour episodes every Tuesday on Sci-Fi Channel.
    I think if TNA dose well on Bravo 2 MTV UK will pick this up eventually

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DublinGangster

Like all new Wrestling Shows and Promotions they will need time. You must give the product a chance. They have some talented wrestlers signed to there product like Teddy Hart, Lizzy Valentine and veterans like Syxx Pac and Vampiro. There not going to be the next WWE or TNA over night but what they do have is worldwide network (MTV) which will give them alot of exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

MTV will **** this up like everything else, they'll try and give it a spin of reality, I can see this being painful to watch...I hope I'm proved wrong, and are the guys actually still signed up? They were only contracted for the 1st season which has being already wrapped up...or did I read that wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't know if it'll be the sort of show that a "wrestling" fan will enjoy. I'd imagine you'll have a lot of people watchin it who'll just have flicked on MTV by chance, and also a lot of people who are watching just because they're fans of whatever band is on that week. Seeing as it's a half hour show, the matches will probably be very quick and flashy, which would make it easier for a non-wrestling fan to enjoy

Looking through the names though, they've got some very talented guys there. Matt Classic is Colt Cabana by the way. A lot of them are the kind of wrestlers who can put on very fast matches, and they're flashy guys, so I can see the show getting an audience. But I doubt many wrestling fans will enjoy it too much

Actually, just thinkin, I read a review of some of the shows the night after it was taped. The guy writing it said it was really good for what it was. I forget most of it, but something mad happened during the show, some crazy hardcore match or something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

oh sorry i forgot to post the trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

And now I'm Intrigued, looks nothing like I imagined, nice one for the trailer.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I just checked this out on Wikipedia, they have a very impressive roster. Guys like Cabana, Jack Evans, Josh Abercrombie, B Boy, M Dogg 20, Matt Sydal, Jimmy Jacobs, Nate Webb, Joey Ryan, Human Tornado and Horiguchi and Yoshino from Dragon Gate. This might be worth keeping an eye on so. The trailer looks cool too apart from all the explosions.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I have to say after watching the trailer, I'm quite looking forward to this. Just a quick half hour of crazy OTT wrestling. Can't do any harm. I would be a bit more sceptical if it was like a two hour show or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Does seem interesting i must say. Although i think the MTV adding flashy effects is gonna be annoying like the being shocked and that. Would like to see how a wrestling show could run for a half hour as well.

I've just watched the first show, and I completely agree with what I posted here before seeing it. If you thought Impact had fast matches, this is much worse (although some people might enjoy these fast matches, but I don't really see how). And if you thought Don West was bad, you ain't heard nothin yet!

I'm glad it was only a half hour show, because I don't think I could sit through anymore of it. It wasn't wrestling, it was just a load of jumps and flips and stunts done one after the other. Nothing they did meant anything. It wasn't boring or dull, like ECW seems to be these days, but it was kind of like a shorter, turbo-paced, hardcore-style Impact with no direction. I'm sure some people will enjoy it, but I would say to them that there were some very talented wrestlers on the show who you'd more than likely enjoy watching much more if you were to see them in ROH and the indies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think you have to given them a chance. This was their pilot show and the "premiere" debuts on Tuesday. From what I heard they seemed to want to sneak this one out.

Its a weird one to judge. Its so different. I think it comes down to the fact, if the audience they are catering to likes it, its a success. If they don't its a failure. And it mightn't be the typical wrestling fan they are trying to grab with this.

You can't really judge it as a normal wrestling show.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I forgot that that episode was taped 9 or 10 months before the rest. Has to be some differences I suppose. I'll be checking out the next few weeks anyway, like I did with ECW last year. Then I'll have to evaluate whether they're wasting my time or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Is it on MTV here what time. I might give it a glance but it looks more like stuntmen rather than Wrestlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The feedback from this was so bad that I decided to give it a miss. Also a lot of the audience are plants from what I've read and they're made to react as insanely as possible.

I'm used to matches been staged but not the fan's reactions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just watched it. And I thought it was pretty cool. The matches are just spot after spot after spot, it's so fast though. You have your standard MTV style cuts too. I thought it was okay and will be checking out the next episode.

Reganio 2 wrote:
    Is it on MTV here what time. I might give it a glance but it looks more like stuntmen rather than Wrestlers.

I don't think MTV UK are planning to show it anytime soon. Maybe if it's successful in the US they might show it over here

The thought of the audience being plants certainly ran through my head a couple of times. They were reacting to moves that had no build-up, it was just stuff that they gave viewers no reason to get excited about

I'd love to hear what Lance Storm would say about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well I showed it to my younger brother, he would be in MTV's key demographic and he said it was fu*king brilliant.

I knew a few of the audience members where plants, they where just reacting to the spots and they didn't seem like they where acting over the top. Just standard American acting, which to us would seem like over the top acting.

Although if you point a camera toward any American they seem to whoop and cheer for no reason.

rizzla wrote:
    Well I showed it to my younger brother, he would be in MTV's key demographic and he said it was fu*king brilliant.

That's the thing, it does cater for a non-wrestling audience, and the sort of audience that MTV already has. I said before the show that it'll probably be easier for non-wrestling fans to enjoy. But personally, I'm a wrestling fan, and I don't enjoy! I'm happy to see some of these guys getting their faces out to a bigger audience though. Apparently WWE are already after Teddy Hart and Matt Sydal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just finished watching this and I thought it was ridiculous. I was expecting a spotfest but bloody hell.

I can see how non-wrestling fans might enjoy it but how can you make an emotional attachment to these guys? They're never in any sort of difficulty in the matches. Its just move after move after move.

I regard wrestling as being primarily about telling a story. This show isn't trying to tell a story, it's more like a highlight reel of action clips.

It might please some people but I'll be giving it a miss from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Looks like it's done already - http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=23163&p=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Exit wrote:

If its true and it probably is, MTV didn't exactly get 100% behind it. The rating did drop badly l2 weeks ago but so did everything on that night for them.

• Advertisement

MTV let a load of workers go recently, didn't they? I could see that as being part of the reason if any WSX supporters in the staff were let go. It definitely picked up for me after the first week, it was very refreshing in a way. A wrestling show on tv that actually used wrestling as the whole basis of the show. Hopefully it's released on dvd or shown in some way, I'd like to see more of this Matt Classic guy!

As an update, WSX are saying that MTV hasn't pulled the series completely, they are just keeping it off air for the moment and they are completely behind putting it on one of their other stations, like MTV2. It wasn't doing as well as MTV wanted in the timeslot it was in

And to answer my own question from my last post, MTV have released over 500 workers worldwide in the last month or so

And now the latest news is that WSX could be back on MTV next week. Yay!
    We should have more details tomorrow here on PWInsider.com, but we've just received word from an MTV source that Wrestling Society X is going to return next Tuesday with the network airing one, possibly two episodes.

At this point, I have no idea whether this is some sort of reprieve for the series or if MTV is simply making use of WSX's episodes since they are paid for and edited.

We should have more details tomorrow, including a timeslot. At this point and time, your guess is as good as mine as to the future of the series. I'm starting to wonder if whoever is at the helm of MTV ran WCW the last few years of it's existence because there is certainly no rhyme or reason to any of this.

And one last update:

MTV will be showing 5 episodes of WSX next Tuesday, and the final episode the week after

2 and a half hours of WSX would have your head in bits

Advertisement