Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange subdomain problem (GoDaddy host) - any of you experience this?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm back to bug you again! But this one is strange, and not quite a 'techie' problem... Let me explain.

I have a GoDaddy account. Subdomains come with my package. I have one set up as (for example) subdomain.mysite.net. In it, the page loads as per the path set in the Domain Management control panel. Yet, none of the images load. However, if I type the link in directly as www.mysite.net/Subdomains/name_index.html, it comes up fine -> this tells me the links to the images are working fine... The path here and the subdomain path are the same, no difference in spellings or characters.

So what am I doing wrong?

(I left out the actual names of the subdomain and my site in case it goes against a rule or two - feel free to ask otherwise).

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

No one here have experience of sub-domains?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm no expert on subdomains but with my godaddy domain I made a subdomain:

www.site.com/subdomain/image.jpg (shows the image in browser)
    and
    subdomain.site.com/image.jpg (also shows the image in the browser)

Why not stick up your site and the subdomains to have a look, it works for mine so maybe you have configured it differently?

Perhaps. Well, here goes Gordon et all.

The route is /Subdomains/Century[space]3000/index.html
    The images folder is /Subdomains/images

The subdomain is Century3000.tullamorelife.net -> this comes up fine, minus all the images.

However, typing it in directly as: www.tullamorelife.net/Subdomains/Century[space]3000/index.html and it comes up perfectly, images and all.

I have tried so many different combinations, changing the location of the images folder and so on, but at this stage, I don't have much hair left on my head, and I am due to be going out Friday night! :)

Seanie.

Have you tried removing the space? Actually, scrap that - your images are not in your subdomain they are pointing to
    "../images/cddrive.jpg"

Gordon wrote:
    Have you tried removing the space? Actually, scrap that - your images are not in your subdomain they are pointing to
    "../images/cddrive.jpg"

The "../images/cddrive.jpg" is just one image. I did this in DW, so it puts in the path as "../images/myimage.jpg". Even though the path is really "/Subdomains/images/myimage.jpg", it doesn't make a difference when I edit it by hand. Either way, it comes up fine with the direct-path view method of looking at the page.

S.

• Advertisement

I can get it to work now, but I have to type in the entire image path: "http://www.tullamorelife.net/Subdomains/images/myimage.jpg".

It doesn't affect it - apart from making it work!

seanie.

Afair it should work if you put the image as "/images/cddrive.jpg". The "../" means "up one level" doesn't it? So it is actually looking for images in a folder called "images" in your main tullamore.net directory.

It's all relative..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Seanie M wrote:
    The route is /Subdomains/Century[space]3000/index.html
    The images folder is /Subdomains/images

This is the problem.

When you are in the subdomain century3000.tullamorelife.net and you reference something by /images/imagename.gif, it's actually going to look in /Subdomains/Century 3000/images/ for the image imagename.gif. The only way around this is to add all images relevant to that subdomain into the folder structure for the subdomain (i.e. in this case, move all images relevant for the century3000 subdomain into /Subdomains/Century 3000/images/). Things like ../images etc aren't going to work as it won't ever go beneath the root of the site.

Advertisement