Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Design & Technology

Options
  • 15-01-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi everyone

i am thinking of applying for this course as a mature student and was wondering if anyone could give me any input as regards the quality of the course contents, workload's and general vibes on the course,thanks in advance.
    d.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

ya im doin this in septembre i think..any feedback would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I've heard that you can do 1st year of industrial design in UL, then do the other 3 years in NCAD. However, it's a different course than product design and it requires a portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marion_brry

Hi everyone,

I have just finished this course in UL in June. The workload is quite tough, its not exactly very hard work but there is a big workload (last few days before handing up my final year project I didn't sleep for 3 days, literally), you really have to do college work everyday so you don't get overloaded with work at the end. Most of the important modules are continuous assessment so you have very little exams, about 6 a year from 2nd year onwards. Its really practical based, sketching, autocad, modelmaking, presentations, making up test rigs, report writing which is a good thing if your like me and not that good at studying. There is a really good atmosphere in the studio and you get to make friends with loads of people there cause your working with them. There is very little lecture time from 3rd year onwards, mostly studio based. Everyone in UL especially the lectures are very helpful and they gave me really good guidance and help you to find a job at the end of the day. If you are the type of person who like figuring out how things work and have a strong aesthetic inclination (know what looks good) and are willing to push the boundaries from the standard format of how things feel, look, their colour and their abilities this is the course for you. What I would advise anyone to do is to talk to the lectures in the course, they are really helpful and they will show you what we have done over the last few years. For me if I could turn back time, I would have picked the same course again. Let me know if you want additional information

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Cheers really helpfull..startin this course in a week or so..how are you findin life after the course...lookin for jobs and stuff?

Advertisement