Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mountain boarding?

Options
  • 15-01-2007 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, i just back from my first snowboarding trip i really miss it and searching for a replacment now that im back in ireland, am thinking about giving mountain boarding a try, if there any mountain borders out there who could give me some info about boards places to moutain board in ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 puremagic diarm

hey dude
    im a pro mountain boarder and am based here in dublin.
    yes i felt the same after my first snow trip.. then relised how big the atb seen is here in ireland and ive never gone back!

the main body for mountainboarding in ireland is
    www.surfindirt.co.uk

there based up in the mourn mts co down, near newcastle..

there is alsow another substute for it, kite landboarding ( mountainboard pulled buy a kite).

if ur looking to buy mountain boards in dublin DONT get sucked into skate city.... u can get them much cheaper..

happy boarding

diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Yeah dude check out kite land boarding....tis the feckin business....you can really adapt a snowboarding riding style to riding a board with the power of the kite substituting for gravity. There's a few people I know and they've completely taken their snowboarding style and adapted it to land boarding. Plus you can also do Snow kiting as well....search for snow kiting and chasta in Youtube and you see what I mean.

but if it's pure down hill moutain boarding you're after I think there was talk of Howth head and boarding all the way down and across it and coming out somewhere near Sutton. check out www.dublinkiteclub.org and put up a post there and I think a kid called PuremagicRoss might know a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 puremagic diarm

hi lads
    the first round of the surfindirt winter series is happening this sunday, at 11am
    all ar welcome to come along and compeat boards can be rented but its best to have ur own as we only have a few. there will be all levle riders there from compleat biggeners to the pros!!

more info:
    www.surfindirt.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Diarmuid,you might be able to help me then.Have been mountainboarding for a couple of years but am tired of boarding these weak hills around me.Found a great beach in Wexford where ther always seems to be a cross shore wind so thinkin I'm gonna start kite boarding it.Could you reccomend a kite for a beginner?Never even held one before so I'm pure newbie.

Hope the surfin dirt weekend went well,was there a couple of years ago,great craic with sound people.Were they doin jumps over gary's car again?yee-furkin-ha

You thinking kite boarding as in on the water?

Or kite land boarding on...well land?

For kiteboarding/kitesurfing check out www.puremagic.ie or whatever is in Diarmuids signature there. They're all great blokes and really really good, I think they have a ridiculously high retention of people who keep up kitesurfing after taking lessons and this is largely due to the high level of instruction and general coolness of the instructors. I'd wait though for a few weeks as the water is stupidly cold at the moment.

If you want landboarding or kite landboarding again I hear talk the guys from puremagic might be doing lessons in that (don't quote me) but really just buy a kite and come down to dollymount in Dublin any weekend there's good wind and it's low tide. And check in with us guys at www.dublinkiteclub.org. Not really a club but just a bunch of people who get together and kite every wkend. There's loads of gear to try out and everyone will be more than happy to let you try out new stuff. Can advise on where to buy, what to buy and maybe a few sneaky pointers. Seriously just come down ask a few questions, we're all nice people and there's allot of beginners so you won't be lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ElSeano93

surfindirt.co.uk are really good. i go there every month. and they sell really good gear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lunapark

whatever you do...D'OONT TOUCH THE "EXIT" brand- my board snapped in half goin of a jump.disaster.cheap and nasty.
    While i'm here, DOES ANYONE PLEASE KNOW ANY DECENT SPOTS TO MOUNTAINBOARD AROUND THE DUBLIN MOUNTAINS, as in like nice decent runs with nice jumps, and nice wide tracks-like you see on internet videos...?
    cheers

Might be worthwhile checking in with some mountain biking websites as they probably spend a bit of time up in the dublin mountiains.

You could always try glendalough there's loads of paths and walks up around there but they'd be mad busy at the weekend.

Maybe up around powerscourt waterfall there's a few more tracks and walks.

emm funny one of you guys mentioned the EXIT brand, same thing happened here, board snapped in half of a jump...mental ****, they are just sooooo crap.
    Anyway emm i've taken up mtb again, dropped it about 2 years ago, cause i just couldn't seem to find ant decent spots, runs or anythin...
    I used to go up to ticknock/ 3rock, but it was fairly ****e...and used to hit various forests aswell, such as the Hell Fire club forest, pretty good spot.
    Problem was that 3 rock was full of skinny very rock trails, and the forests can get very sludgy round winter, this time of year.
    Now as I said, I am giving it a go again, and I have found that 3rock is better, there is a fairly long trail that you can take from about half way up the pedestrain tarmac walk down to pretty much the last carpark, and its gotten wider and **** due to deforestation. Anyone who mountainboards knows its important to have a wide enough track for being able to skid and turn and enjoy the ride...
    I'll keep anyone who cares updated on this thread as I go out every weekend to the mountains, I would'nt bother too much with mtbike websites and stuff, the trails as i said tend to be uber skinny and difficult to negotiate/ enjoy.

also, anyone ever try just find a hill in a park or somethin( take blackrock park) and just practice jumps and ****, hmm?
    Mtb can be class in an urban location too:):)

People, if we wanna build up the MTB scene around Dublin and Wicklow, lets get talkin, let's share locations, c'mon this sport should take off, it's amazin!
    btw i kitesurf, and kiteboarding is over rated

peace

p.s PM me if u have any locations u use- yanndoor@hotmail.com

if you like post some stuff up here as well

www.kitingireland.com

it's my kitesurfing/landboarding/kite buggying website but allot of us started on land boards, still land board and would love to find some decent sites for when there's no wind. We were just discussing it today and apparently there's somewhere in the Curragh thats not bad.

You should give land boarding with a kite a try....who needs hills when you havea kite

Exit are crap. I got a nice customised trampa deck that cost mea F-ing fortune.

http://www.trampaboards.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Why not try wakeboarding.....it's seasons are the reverse of snowboarding.
    And if you want to get a lot of wakeboarding in cheap try the cable park beside heathrow airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 srmnm

Hi,
    I have been in Surfin Dirt quite a few times. Absolutley fantastic. I would recommend the sport to anyone.
    Im leaving the country soon and want to offload my MBS comp26 to a good home. I have a full face crash helmet, 9"wheels, snowboard bindings, goggles etc. Contact if you're interested. (Before May)

Cheers,
    SRMnM

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

What kind of money are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 superman963

Hey,

I am interested in the MBS comp26 too. Had you any thoughs on a price? Looks like the kinda board I'd be after. I'm just getting into the whole kite (plus accessories) scene. Best crack ever!! Bought a 4m HQ beamer... its unreal..only a month old and im considering upgrading already! Maybe someone could give me advice on this though... I want to buy a land board but I really don't want to end up with a S**t board like the 'Exit' discussed above. I'm also not interested in 'beginners' style boards as I know i'll just want to upgrade in another months time or else I'll just break it before then. Anyone any ideas on the best intermediate board for durability/quality? Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

The comp 26 is a good board, very carvey, but heavy for a kite.

if you ask over on kitingireland.com they might be able to give you advice (or have something for sale).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vit

Get a dirtsurfer, superman963. Mountainboards are for girls. ;)

http://www.dirtsurfer.com
    http://www.ukdirtsurfing.com
    http://www.wingsurfer.co.uk

Seriously, dirtsurfers are fantastic! Very fast and very stable (contrary to their looks) -- a pure joy to ride! They can be a bit too heavy, though, if you want to go into kite jumping.

Ah but dirtsurfers have brakes, and everyone knows brakes are for girls :P

(you should try one out though, they're class)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 GASP gary

Hey guys and gals,
    GASP (Surfin' Dirt) are hosting the "Duel in the Dirt" on 22nd August, this is a joint event for boarders and bikers.
    We have recently opened our new 4X track and feedback has been great so far (although we probably need to make everything bigger!). And some new features have been thrown onto the boardercross track to keep it fresh.
    Anyhow, the event is a downhill duel knockout to win the King of the Dirt crown (or Queen of the Dirt). Entry fee is £17.50.

Lots of places to stay if want to make a break of it.

Hope to see you here this season,
    cheers, gary

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions on opening up an MTBoard/MTBike park in the dublin mountains?
    possible?
    cheers

Great idea and long overdue! Have been trying to encourage someone to do this for years.

• Advertisement

yeah I really wanna do it...I'm gonna start planning it out and researching it over the next while, i'm still in college, but i really want to make it happen!

If you need any advice, give me a shout.

sound man... you're with surfin dirt aren't you? seems to be working well!

Get a few people together riding regularly in Dublin and i'd say you'll get more ideas, and enthusiasm.

Not to mention you'd get more riding in Dublin.

Been doing a bit round masseys wood the last week or so, good long runs through the forest, just need to avoid demented scramblers and fallen trees.

Give us a shout if you're headed up.

Yeah...started Surfin' Dirt 7 years ago now, still goin' strong. Have built 4x track now too.

I'm headed up to Surfin dirt this sunday morning with the girlfriend if anyone wants a lift up.
    There's 2or3 spaces left in the car.

If you've not got a board, they do rentals, same for pads etc. And its very reasonable on price.

If you're a beginner, they've got lessons etc.
    If you're an intermediate you can just go nuts on the track, take lessons or mess about on the grind rails and ramps.

Place is awesome, well worth the trip up.
    Give us a shout if your interested.

(gary any discount for advertising for you :P)

thats pretty sound of you man, can't make it but fairplay!

Will be headed up every so often, also board round masseys and ticknock, and have just built a new ramp. so if you're bored give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ginganinja87

Hi, does anybody know of any shops that sell mbs boards in Ireland? I know that surfin' dirt sells them but I'm looking for somewhere a little closer to the south-east.

• Advertisement

Puremagic sells them, so do 53 degrees north, both in dublin.
    The boards these guys sell are kite boards more than mountain boards (skate truck suspension etc).

Surfin Dirt is your best bet, they do a members discount which if your buying a board will more than cover the cost of membership itself and give you a saving.

You'll also have access to proper boards, MBS & Trampa etc which will last and allow you to do more.

I got a scrub Karakorum out of 53 degrees north last year after it had been sitting in a corner for over a year (and got a good deal on it) but had to upgrade shocks and change wheels to make it really usable and its already showing serious signs of wear on the deck.

Advertisement