Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Gas and ESB bill of the Year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Indeed. Good sense there, Dame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just got my first gas and esb bill for the house I just moved into.

3 bed terraced house

Gas : €109 (as it was my first bill they didn't charge me the €57 service charge)
    ESB : €90

Not too bad, though the gas will be pricey once the service charge kicks in. is anyone on either of those committent tarriffs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

kinaldo wrote:
    I am! Leaving for Australia on Jan 30 and the thing I'm most looking forward to is not having to worry about these ridiculous bills. Let's just say I've finally cleared them and now they owe me money for overestimating...

:)

Ah you do. During the summer the aircon has to be on all day and night and you still need some heating during the winter months so it probably balances out over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

just to make some ppl feel better
    I live in my Sis's house as she lives in NY its about 110years old
    Six bedrooms 2 storey and a flat on the side which I have to heat and Light also.

ANY WAY
    Nov&dec bills

ESB = 272euro
    OIL= 390euro
    Telecom=70

In a year it can cost as much as 2400euro to keep the house above freeze ( note not heated)
    The ESB is a bit odd awell I have changed all the lights to the Energy saving bulbs and did have a big effect on the esb bill, but sure some houses are more expensive than others to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

With the energy rating, I see some large poorly insulated old four bed houses in bad areas collapsing in value. You have a poor location and it is going to cost you a fortune to heat it. Soon enough people will start thinking along the logic of "okay the house is 10,000 cheaper but ten years ESB and Heat will be 30,000 euro".
    Did anyone see the fool on TnaG who paid 500,000 for his house in Dublin and it got a D rating in the energy cert. It had no attic insulation, single glazed windows, no floor insulation and no insulation in the walls. Must have been like a fridge.
    For too long people have bought without taking a view on the materials used to construct the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

delop wrote:
    Why do ESB have adds anyhow? I know there is a company called airtricity but they cant really cause a problem for ESB.

Airtricity are owned by those AHOLES behind the M50 tolls. I'd rather stick with with ESB!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

NTR's income from Irish people is impressive.
    There are probably some of you who woke up drove to work on M50, paid a toll (NTR), logged into the internet at work (Irish broadband), dumped some company recycling material (greenstar), drove home M50 (NTR), turned on electric oven at home (airtricity), logged onto the internet (Irish broadband).
    Airtricity are hoovering up prime wind sites in the country for a snip.
    Must check out if it is possible to buy their shares on grey market and how ya do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3 bed bungalow.

ESB=190!
    Gas=300!

Roll on spring.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Stinkerbelle

345 for Gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Stinkerbelle

3 Bedroom terraced (with a floor to ceiling glass atrium type affair)

345 for Gas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

1 bed flat, 3 radiators (new style)

Gas: 189 euro!

Is that a record?
    Yet to get the esb bill for the 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 helsbels

We just moved into our new 3 bed apartment in October. Only had ESB in the last place and lived in the UK previous to that. I thought I was being quite careful with the timers and temperature so wasn't expecting the €223 bill that arrived today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

helsbels wrote:
    We just moved into our new 3 bed apartment in October. Only had ESB in the last place and lived in the UK previous to that. I thought I was being quite careful with the timers and temperature so wasn't expecting the €223 bill that arrived today.

The big problem here is lack of competition- i.e. the domestic consumer has the ESB (or Bord Gais) and you can take it or leave it. There is no-where else to go. There is no-one you can complain to. Unless a large swathe of the country converts to solar panels and small scale wind turbines- the just will not care. The gas prices are being rolled back somewhat, in 3 months time, in recognition that the wholesale price of gas collapsed in September- consumers however are expected to pay artificially high prices as the numbskulls in Bord Gais managed to hedge their winter supplies at stupidly high levels. As for the ESB- as anyone with computer equipment at home knows- we all need surge protectors, and the really careful of us use APC units as well.

The energy regulator is not there for the benefit of consumers- it appears there is no-one to stand up for domestic customers. Trying to complain is like listening to chalk on a blackboard while suffering from a hangover- it quite simply is not worth the hassle.

Anyone like to organise a march on Leinster House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

ESB is €220 .
    Dont have Gas .
    I'm getting pretty peeved now.
    I've switched most of the lighting to energy efficient bulbs,I'm not turning on the immersion as much yet the number of units keeps going up.
    Can a tv ,PC and wireless router be the drain on the meter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McSween

im on the rate B of gas and my 2nd bill amounted to 200

phoned up today to enquire about switching to the Low User tarriff which has no standing charge but u have to pay around 650 per year and use around 8000 kwz of gas

the guy on the phone was trying to say i should wait to see how i average over a few bills, in other words keep paying us

this low tarriff has to be in place for 12 months

anybody know anything more about it? would seem to be handy come the summer months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

3 bed terrace 30 years old.

esb 156, rooted out last years bill, same period, it was 116, 50 euro cheaper.

gas havent gotten yet. last years gas same period was 258. it will be interesting to see what this year will bring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Just got mine. €132 for two months for a 3 bedroom terraced house.
    Delighted with that, I use it a fair bit and was expecting a massive bill judging by all the other examples here recently.

300 ESB bill for a 2bd apt. Feckin' rubbish storage heating.

Just moved into a 4bd house with GCH. Hoping that the combined ESB/Gas isn't much more than that. At least the place will be warm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

2 bed apartment in Edinburgh, bill for mid October to mid January:

Gas: £100
    Electricty: £81

Bastards. Considering neither of us were even in the flat for three weeks.

That's for a quarter not two months, so it's a good bit less than Ireland. Then again there's that 'competition' thing in the UK.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cute_Button

Faith wrote:
    2 bed apartment in Edinburgh, bill for mid October to mid January:

Gas: £100
    Electricty: £81

Bastards. Considering neither of us were even in the flat for three weeks.

Thats about half what I just had to pay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

3 bed modern insulated semi
    Gas - €401

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

McSween wrote:
    im on the rate B of gas and my 2nd bill amounted to 200

phoned up today to enquire about switching to the Low User tarriff which has no standing charge but u have to pay around 650 per year and use around 8000 kwz of gas

the guy on the phone was trying to say i should wait to see how i average over a few bills, in other words keep paying us

this low tarriff has to be in place for 12 months

anybody know anything more about it? would seem to be handy come the summer months

Essentially you pay a silly amount per BTU of gas (about 3 times the regular amount on the high user tariff) but pay no connection fee. There are a series of graduated cut-off points, each unit over each cut-off point costing a lot less. If you use very little gas and only in the winter- your winter bill would most probably be a bit higher than previously (unless you went over a certain number of units to bring the average price down- I think this is the 8000 units he was talking about), but your summer bill would be non-existant as where you were previously paying a connection charge, irrespective of usage, this would now be free altogether.

Swings and round-abouts. I subscribed to the lower use tariff last August and have ended up using a silly amount of gas over the winter that I did not anticipate, but am signed up to it for a year. Tough. When the summer comes it will swing back in my favour- time will tell.

Keep in mind that gas unit prices are scheduled for a reduction in March (this has been forward from September '07)- its a bit late for winter when most of gas bills soar, but its better than a kick in the teeth.

Shane

Advertisement