Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernard Durkan

Options
  • 15-01-2007 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

What is the general concensus on this Guy. I've read afew press releases and some of this parlimentary questions, but whats the substance behind it? Is the guy just throwing mud, or has be put forward a solid agenda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Great at asking questions, bad at providing solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think people who can't get broadband should be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Blaster99 wrote:
    That idea I like and approve of - hit the only place it hurts, the wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Blaster99, are you durkan?

Yea, thats the feeling I've got. I see lots of questions. I get him slaming the regualator (Rightly) and slaming self regulation in the mobile industry(Rightly to), but I've no read anything about his ideas on how to improve things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

yeah he was sending out to me transcripts of parliamentary questions for months although they have dried up lately, christmas no doubt. All he seems to do is ask a lot of questions and bugger all else.

• Advertisement

His plans for telecom industry
    • Buy back eircoms network
    • Create one single regulator for all utilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

yeah, now that looks like someone looking for voters dumb enough to believe him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That depends on whether they are actual plans or just ideas......

I think their probably two of the most god awhful things I've ever heard and I hope that they never happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Boston wrote:
    Blaster99, are you durkan?

No, just speculating what a likely FG position would be on broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Boston wrote:
    I think their probably two of the most god awhful things I've ever heard and I hope that they never happen.
    Nod. Making Eircom public property would just be one giant leap backwards the problem isn't the fact it's private the problem is to do with our hopeless regulators not actually regulating.

Valid point, 'CrocGod - I've been wishing that the idiots in Government hadn't sold our network, but if they had it's possible that it'd be in the same state as the health service due to lack of interest/investment.

What we need is a regulator that barks and causes eircom to jump; if there was any good news recently it's that ComReg are to be given more power.....now they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Liam Byrne wrote:
    if there was any good news recently it's that ComReg are to be given more power.....now they'll only have themselves to blame if they don't do their job.

That's a huge ****ing lie. ComReg are well able to do their job with the power they have. It's the lazy way out. "Oh we can't do anything because of x, y, z". Bull. They can do a lot but they won't. A regulator that can fine a telco exists but the telecoms poodle has never ever ever fined a company. Look at the 100s of complaints on boards every week about something to do with the telecoms market and you have to wonder why no action is being taken by ComReg.

They have a massive budget that could easily be sent on court cases but they don't like them because when there is a court case they lose them due to sheer incompetence or settle out of court because they know they'll lose. Such was the case when Vodafone and o2 took them to court. They settled on the steps, paid them their 5 million in legal costs and withdrew their directive on MVNO.

It's an attitude change that's needed in ComReg and I don't think you'll get it with the current staff in there.

I see Labour are also suggesting new powers will mean ComReg will stop being a malicious entity in the telecoms market. I do wish that idiot politicians would realise that throwing money at a solution or giving terminally incompetent groups like ComReg more powers will do absolutely nothing. Wipe them out and bring in a group that is up for a fight and making a difference.

Apparently ComReg are great when It comes to requesting rescoures for research.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blaster99 wrote:

Considering the UK has 99% ADSL coverage and they don't compensate people if they can't get Broadband its def not going to happen anytime soon here :)

Such was the case when Vodafone and o2 took them to court
    Odd that they managed to screw Smart the same month as eircom did, so....maybe they knew that Smart didn't have the money to risk a court case by calling their bluff ?

Advertisement