Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Servicing A Diesel Car

Options
  • 15-01-2007 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

ok you will all think im ignorant etc but just a quick question, before now I've only driven petrol cars and always knew what needs servicing on them, on a diesel what needs doing other than the oil/filter every 5/6000 k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I work with a guy who has a '04 A4 1.9TDi and his car uses the long life oil and its estimated that he gets it serviced every 18-20k miles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

mines a volvo s40 1.9td, it'e been serviced every 5-6000k, well oil changed then, dunno what else happens on the intermittent services as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Service my 1.9tdi A4 every 20k miles.Replace air filter, oil filter and fuel filter and check all levels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think most diesel cars these days have the same service intervals as petrol cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I have a VAG 1.9 PD TDI and plan on doing an oil change every 5k miles. Did it for the first time there since I got the car and it was the easiest oil change ever. No trying to reef the oil filter off with a wrench, just lift the cover off the engine bay and unscrew and replace with a new filter.
    I think the service interval is every 10k but I'd rather nice fresh oil all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

ok thanks guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

fletch wrote:
    I have a VAG 1.9 PD TDI and plan on doing an oil change every 5k miles. Did it for the first time there since I got the car and it was the easiest oil change ever. No trying to reef the oil filter off with a wrench, just lift the cover off the engine bay and unscrew and replace with a new filter.
    I think the service interval is every 10k but I'd rather nice fresh oil all the time.

The service interval on my transit is every 20k kilometers,,, and you plan on doin

an oil change every 5k miles??? How does that figure??? :confused:

ItsJusMe wrote:
    The service interval on my transit is every 20k kilometers,,, and you plan on doin

an oil change every 5k miles??? How does that figure??? :confused:
    Sure why not? It can only be good for the engine...can't it? :confused: The service interval on my car is every 10k so one extra oil change between services gives me peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

fletch wrote:
    Sure why not? It can only be good for the engine...can't it? :confused: The service interval on my car is every 10k so one extra oil change between services gives me peace of mind.
    does no harm, you are right.

I'm guessing you don't reset the service indicator when you do this interim oil change yourself?

Lex Luthor wrote:
    does no harm, you are right.

I'm guessing you don't reset the service indicator when you do this interim oil change yourself?
    Na don't bother...well don't know how to :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement