Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge hissing

Options
  • 15-01-2007 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

The good wife was expediting the defrosting with a breadknife and she put a hole somewhere in the freezer which was followed by a minute or two of hissing and then it stopped.

My assumptions:
    1. Hissing was the refrigerant escaping.
    2. The refrigerant won't do any local harm to us or food in fridge (I'm obviously ignoring the environmental impact here!)
    3. The fridge is not repairable.

Am I correct in these assumptions?

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yes to all three.

Now either buy a frost-free 'fridge or make sure that all sharp objects are removed when your missus is around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

giddyup wrote:
    1. Hissing was the refrigerant escaping.

Yep
    giddyup wrote:
    2. The refrigerant won't do any local harm to us or food in fridge (I'm obviously ignoring the environmental impact here!)

Chances are it's either R134a - non toxic, non flamable or R600a (Butane/Propane mix) non toxic, highly flamable. There's so little in the pipes, that it shouldn't be dangerous, but open the windows and vent the kitchen for a few hours
    giddyup wrote:
    3. The fridge is not repairable.

It is, but to repair would cost more money than a new fridge. If it's a standard domestic, more than 1 year or wo old, it will be cheaper to replace it

Advertisement