Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philips dvd recorders... opinion?

• 15-01-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

I am trying desperately to seek out a dvd recorder thats no more than 350euro. I've been looking at the Philips range which is in my price range and they seem to have everything and (less importantly) look nice too.

I was thinking of the even much cheaper Magnavox but it seems they don't have as many features. Anybody know if the Philips would be a realiable purchase. Hows their record? Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johninwaterford

Please Please don't buy a Philips. They're supposed to be Muck. I bought a Magnavox (which is a Philips) and took it back the next day. It was rubbish. I changed it for an LG and it has been the best thing I've ever bought. The user interface is really nice. Recording, Timeshift, Playback, Navigation, everything you record appears like a small trailer, you can edit, combine, divide your recordings. I love it. Let me nkow if you want to know more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Doolittle51

Phillips are rubbish. I wouldn't even buy a Phillips lightbulb!

I got one of these for my dad a couple of months ago:
    http://ie.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=1286290

It's very easy to use, and the hard drive is so handy for recording stuff you don't want to keep. The price is very good too, and all reviews i read online were positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oulton

John Hi I am currently trying to buy a hdd recorder have looked at some lg's what model is yours has it hdmi ,dv in and can you record from sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Got my dad one of the HDD phillips ones back in November. He's well happy with it, and can even use it by himself. And considering when he wants to write something he reaches for his stone tablet and chisel, that's saying something

I would only say positive things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Please Please don't buy a Philips. They're supposed to be Muck. I bought a Magnavox (which is a Philips) and took it back the next day. It was rubbish. I changed it for an LG and it has been the best thing I've ever bought.
    No its not a Philips its a Magnavox, LG is also a Philips linked business, if you want a Philips you buy a Philips, which is the machine I have, the 3450H which is about a year old, and works fine, no problems and not Muck, as its supposed to be, although, who's that according to?
    I.J. wrote:
    I am trying desperately to seek out a dvd recorder thats no more than 350euro. I've been looking at the Philips range which is in my price range and they seem to have everything and (less importantly) look nice too.

I was thinking of the even much cheaper Magnavox but it seems they don't have as many features. Anybody know if the Philips would be a realiable purchase. Hows their record? Thanks a million in advance.
    i've had no problems since i got mine and i've recorded quite a lot this week alone, some of the best machines on the market at the moment are Pioneer i can recommend them having used them, but you are talking €425 plus for the pioneers, but if you want to stick to your €350 range then you could do a lot worse than a Philips, not a Philips knock off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭I.J.

Thanks for the responses everybody. They are all appreciated. However, from reading one review after another, checking out all kinds of forums and seeing the different opinions, I'm left thinking that every DVD recorder out there is fine, unless it just happens to screw up on you. It seems to be like winning the lottery. It just seems to be all luck and I can't see any pattern to whats good and whats bad. I'm going to wait to see if they come down in price a little more but I'll probably get the Philips and will let you know how I got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Got my Dad a Magnavox HDD DVD Recorder for christmas, Best thing i can say is it works great for him and it plays DivX , so i can copy some avi's or whatever onto a dvd and he can watch them easily.

My girlfriends dad has a Philips and has nothing but problems with it, plus he cant watch any ahem newer ahem film on it :rolleyes:

Advertisement