Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lean to Roof leaking

Options
  • 15-01-2007 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

we have noticed staining in the hall ceiling.
    Its a 2 bed semi-d with a lean to roof at the front covering the start of the ahll and the sitting room.
    The staining is right where the "main" external wall meets the roof so I am guessing its a problem with the flashing.

I had a guy around over the weekend to quote for the job and he wanted 2,500 + VAT to fix it.
    He listed off all the bits involved in taking off the tiles, battons, felt and redoing and also redoing the lead.
    4 men 1.5 days.
    This seems very expensive to me since I had all the tiles and felt off and back on again in a day by myself...
    I guess its insurance etc but still.

The roof is about 7 concrete tiles deep by maybe 15 across.

He also said that the flashing was incorrectly fitted.
    Rather than being cut in it seems to be fixed to the brickwork and then plastered over.
    He wanted to cut a new channed an inch above the current mark, which we reckon will look crap.

Any opinions, ideas?
    We just had the ceilings painted so dont want it all to be destroyed by the driving rain.

Thx!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

GreeBo wrote:
    Hey,

we have noticed staining in the hall ceiling.
    Its a 2 bed semi-d with a lean to roof at the front covering the start of the ahll and the sitting room.
    The staining is right where the "main" external wall meets the roof so I am guessing its a problem with the flashing.

I had a guy around over the weekend to quote for the job and he wanted 2,500 + VAT to fix it.
    He listed off all the bits involved in taking off the tiles, battons, felt and redoing and also redoing the lead.
    4 men 1.5 days.
    This seems very expensive to me since I had all the tiles and felt off and back on again in a day by myself...
    I guess its insurance etc but still.

The roof is about 7 concrete tiles deep by maybe 15 across.

He also said that the flashing was incorrectly fitted.
    Rather than being cut in it seems to be fixed to the brickwork and then plastered over.
    He wanted to cut a new channed an inch above the current mark, which we reckon will look crap.

Any opinions, ideas?
    We just had the ceilings painted so dont want it all to be destroyed by the driving rain.

Thx!
    Hi
    Do you want it done right if so get the flashing cut into the wall .
    Where did you get this guys number was off the insurance if so was his name dominic (Dublin only)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yeah I want it cut into the wall, but I would have thought it would be a better job to take out the flashing thats there, cut the wall so that the flashing will be at the same height and then re-plaster as necessary?

Nah it was him, but you just put an interesting thought into my mind...why did I not think of insurance for this... :eek:
    Im assuming its covered in a standard policy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

YEP prob solved Free beer for the carpenter

Advertisement