Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillars of the Earth

Options
  • 15-01-2007 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

This is my first post - I'm leaping straight in, so if I should have posted elsewhere first, please tell me. I've been on message boards before, but this is huge and I might have missed a rule or something.

Anyway - Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

The subject matter for this book actually sounds like it might be pretty boring - it's about the building of a cathedral - but anyone who likes history will love this. Or possibly someone who doesn't even care about history, because it has everything. Great characters, drama, action, love, hate, one of the worst villains ever etc. etc.

And it's a book you can get your teeth into being over 1000 pages long.

I can't recommend it enough, although to be honest, I skipped a lot of the details about the building work, as they went right over my head!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Sounds interesting. It's presumably set in mediviel times?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Were there a lot of metaphors in the book? Men of clay? Building something and themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

I don't recall the use of too many metaphors but maybe I was too engrossed in the story to notice.

It is set in medieval times - around the time of Stephen and Matilda.

I gave it to a friend who finished it in two days because she couldn't put it down.

Advertisement