Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice training

Options
  • 15-01-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have a young lass (10) who is after appearing in a few music stage productions. I`d like to know when would be the correct age to get her voice trained? Being told by her teacher that it great as it is and not to do it, don`t know much about this subject so a bit of expert help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

just to start im not an expert by any strecth of the imagination! im a singer and a pianist tho, i think at 10 she might be a bit young to start gettin her voice trained, i'd say wait til she goes into secondary school. also maybe get her to join a choir and learn to read music if she cant cos that'll make life so much easier for her if its a route she wants to seriously pursue in the future. another thing would be to really get her a good teacher - i've accompanied for singin exams and the teachers didnt tell the kids when they were makin mistakes and weren't fair to the kids as regards their standard and the level they were being examined at.

thats a very long and waffley answer.... in short i'd say when she goes into secondary!

(hope this might be helpful!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

Thanks for your reply fonpokno, advice taken onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

The recommended age is 16. Something to do with vocal chords being the correct length at that stage or something like that..

Anyone have any contacts for voice training?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I started training when I was 9- which is very young but gave me a very mature singing voice. This was with an independent teacher thoughm most schools of music wont take on Students under 16, though I'm 15 and sing in the DIT but I think they just mightn't have noticed my DOB I put down on the application form. If she likes singing and enjoys it try and get her singing as much as possible, like in a local youth or children's choir, there might be one in your local church. Or musical theatre classes in a theatre school.

You'll have a Billy Barrie kid on your hands soon enough!

Advertisement