Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile chipper at the top of Grafton St at night / hot dog vendors

Options
  • 15-01-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The one at St Stephens Green end (is that the top of Grafton St? Hmm.. that's another debate).... tis slap bang in the middle of the street beside that big rabbit statue. Whats the deal? Are they licenced to sell there? Do they need permission for it?
    It seems to only have appeared since the summer to sell greasy goodness to the drunken masses. Never used it meself as I'm a Burger King fan after a rake of beer.
    While I'm at it, would you ever buy food there or from the hot dog vendors scattered around the city at night?

Do you purchase foodstuffs from the meals-on-wheels outlets? 34 votes

No way!! I'd rather eat my own puke.
    0% 0 votes
    Tempting, but I'd choose a BK/ Macky Ds or Empty Pockets instead
    32% 11 votes
    All the time! They are the saviour of my beer filled frolics!
    47% 16 votes
    Eatin is cheatin!
    20% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've bought a hotdog from there before...wasn't the worst. Theres also one on Leeson street which is always handy when heading in towards Rios and you want something to soak up the pre-club drink a bit.
    However, if I can get a McD's or a BurgerKing I'll take that over the hotdogs any time.

Sure McDonalds and Burger King are closed when you want the after drinking food. What time do they close at anyway? I never seem to have any choice but to head to the hot dog stand, but to be fair it tastes pretty damn good at 5am, and I haven't got food poisoning yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whiskeyman wrote:
    Whats the deal? Are they licenced to sell there? Do they need permission for it?
    They need a Casual Trading Licence from Dublin City Council.

"Applications for the sale of hot food at an event must be received 28 days in advance of an event and public liability insurance cover indemnifying Dublin City Council to the value of €1,269,738 must be submitted. You also must have a Food Hygiene Certificate from the Health Authority. The acceptance of an application by Dublin City Council does not guarantee the granting of a licence."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

mmm am pretty sure that there's been one in that area for years.

wouldn't buy anything from a place like that here but would when travelling, go figure! if I need food I'll usually head to the chipper 50metres from my place.. mmm they do the best chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've had a hot dog from the one on O'Connell Bridge.. but tbh, if I'm hungry, and not going on to another pub, I'll usually hit BK or a proper chipper..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why have Kebab Houses not been mentioned?

Iskanders, Zaytoon, Siroco...mmmm.

seansouth wrote:
    Why have Kebab Houses not been mentioned?

Iskanders, Zaytoon, Siroco...mmmm.
    Because the thread is about a mobile chipper! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Always spend way too much money on these, fierce tasty when you have been drinking. A few around O`Connell Bridge, one at the end of Harcourt and the Grafton Street one (manned by a guy whos figure seems to reassure the customer on the quality by advertising "I eat what I sell" :) )

Prefer these or Abras on a night out as I can get BK/McDs whenever I want back home, but not a great hot dog.

Oh yeah, and Rockets is feckin woeful food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

shane86 wrote:
    Always spend way too much money on these, fierce tasty when you have been drinking. A few around O`Connell Bridge, one at the end of Harcourt and the Grafton Street one (manned by a guy whos figure seems to reassure the customer on the quality by advertising "I eat what I sell" :) )

Prefer these or Abras on a night out as I can get BK/McDs whenever I want back home, but not a great hot dog.

Oh yeah, and Rockets is feckin woeful food.
    Rockets as in Eddie Rockets?Best food ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

rb_ie wrote:

Brutal stuff. Ive only eaten there once in recent years, was served a 1/3 pound lump of meat that, due to its distinct lack of actual meaty thickness, I suspect had been pre pumped with water at the abbatoir in order to increase its size/weight. The mayo was rather bland. And what a price, burger and a coke was something like a tenner. Only thing I can say in its favour is that the staff are extremely friendly (presumably as its run on an American "are you OK sir, can I be of further assistance sir" type model)

Give me McDs,BK/chipper/burger van over that ****e any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The hot dogs from there are ok. Not bad.

Anyone who considers voting 'eatin is cheatin!' is an idiot.

Getting p*ssed on an empty stomach is no fun.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Anyone who considers voting 'eatin is cheatin!' is an idiot.

Getting p*ssed on an empty stomach is no fun.
    Well, we are all different! The thoughts of eating after consuming copious quanties of alcohol, turns my stomach. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well, we are all different! The thoughts of eating after consuming copious quanties of alcohol, turns my stomach. :(

Not really what I meant. Sorry.

I'm condemning the tossers who say 'eatin is cheatin' in the following circumstances:

1 - When you know you're going for a heavy session and someone suggests having some food beforehand/

2 - When, in the midst of a heavy session, someone suggests ordering some food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

rb_ie wrote:

Empty Pockets more like.

Get thineself to Zaytoons for some real food :)

Advertisement